Crime stats show many 10-year highs in Prince Rupert

The provincial government released its report on crime and crime trends for 1998 to 2007 on August 26 and the document shows that while the crime rate has hit a 10-year low in B.C., Prince Rupert had some 10-year highs when it comes to the number and rate crimes last year.

There were 3,453 criminal code offences reported in 2007, the highest in the last decade. That number is up 362 from 2006, and the next highest number of criminal code offences was reported in 1998 when 3,258 criminal code offences were recorded. The crime rate, which is the number of crimes per 1,000 people, sits at 257, another 10 year high and an increase of 30 compared to the 2006 numbers.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 67064.html

Something our “law and order” City Council can be proud of.

Maybe the fact that the RCMP hasn’t been fully funded in almost a decade has something to do with it?

Or how about the obsession with catching people who only stop for 3 seconds at stop signs?  That’s a great use of expensive and well trained crime fighters.

When I first read this I thought it said “Crime stats show many 10-year-olds high in Prince Rupert”.  Which, I hope, isn’t true!

I count to three at stop signs… it bugs my mother a lot. lol