Councillor Poll

Who would you vote for Councillor?

Gurvinder Randhawa = time for a change

Guvinder Randhawa = time for a change
Wade Niesh = time for a change
Blair Mirau = time for a change
Ray Pedersen = time for a change

I am voting for all 4.

I’d be nice if this poll were reflective of how the community will vote, especially in getting rid of Garon and Kinney. Garon is clueless and Kinney doesn’t do anything, except advocate for more bus service. He is a member of committees that can’t remember what he looks like!

[quote=“bthedog”]

Guvinder Randhawa = time for a change
Wade Niesh = time for a change
Blair Mirau = time for a change
Ray Pedersen = time for a change

I am voting for all 4.[/quote]

Is Ray pedersen that guy who just moved to town?

[quote=“TerriblePerson”]

Is Ray pedersen that guy who just moved to town?[/quote]

Yes, he’s a successful businessman with about 100 people working for him from what I gather, and he chose to live in Rupert because he believes it has a future. Imagine that.

Being fairly unknown to most people, Pedersen’s chances are slim but I liked him. He had some pretty good answers and he really spoke with resolve. I also liked how he portrayed his not being a long time Rupertite as a positive, saying that sometimes an outside set of eyes brings a fresh perspective and can often see things those who have been here a long time don’t. He has to know how much of a long shot he is so good on him for stepping up anyway.

what business does he own?

Ray Pedersen was fine. I was totally on board with Shelly Gordon Pain . The questions were rigged for Tony Briglio, and had nothing to do with her expertise. Tony is all about small bizness and taxation, but GP is more about CityWest and getting that figured out. Why is local medai trying to bury her?

Also, I am surprised that the east indian fellow is getting so much support here on HTMF. I couldn’t understand a word he was saying. I’m sure he is very bright. But that doesn’t come through when he muddles his words. I’m sure many will vote for him simply for change.

After last night I won’t be voting for Gurvinder…I could not understand much of what he said, and he did not answer the questions that were asked of him, he seemed to deliver the same answer time and time again…he seemed disengaged and like he did not want to be there. I am sure he is a nice person and a very smart person, but I no longer feel he should be the front-runner for the new candidates that are running.

Blair Mirau and Ray Pedersen were the stars of the night IMO for the new guys running and Barry Cunningham and Nelson Kinney performed the best for current council.

Joy Thorkelson only cemented my decision to not vote for her.

It is really a shame that Mr. Mirau is not the “young guy” running for mayor because I would vote for him in a heartbeat. He was the most relaxed, prepared, well spoken person up there last night. I hope he gets on council for sure and I hope one day he runs for mayor, he would be a great.

After last night I am voting like this for council (in order of preference):

1.) Blair Mirau
2.) Ray Pedersen
3.) Wade Niesh
4.) Barry Cunningham
5.) Nelson Kinney
6.) Gina Garon

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

what business does he own?[/quote]

Ray Petersen is the founder of Slate Group, which is an HR consulting firm: < slate.co.jp/about/?show=ceo_message >.

Here is a link to his campaign site: < rupertray.org/biography.php >.

Trying to figure out CityWest is a good idea. So much money is tied up there. Gordon-Payne appears to be the only one who has the courage to even talk about that issue.

[quote=“bthedog”]

1.) Blair Mirau
2.) Ray Pedersen
3.) Wade Niesh
4.) Barry Cunningham
5.) Nelson Kinney
6.) Gina Garon[/quote]

As DWhite has pointed out, by casting all six votes you may be cancelling out your top choices.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

what business does he own?

Ray Petersen is the founder of Slate Group, which is an HR consulting firm: < slate.co.jp/about/?show=ceo_message >.

Here is a link to his campaign site: < rupertray.org/biography.php >.

Trying to figure out CityWest is a good idea. So much money is tied up there. Gordon-Payne seems is the only one who has the courage to even talk about issue.

[quote=“bthedog”]

1.) Blair Mirau
2.) Ray Pedersen
3.) Wade Niesh
4.) Barry Cunningham
5.) Nelson Kinney
6.) Gina Garon[/quote]

As DWhite has pointed out, by casting all six votes you may be cancelling out your top choices.[/quote]

Good point…in that case I may just vote for my Top 3 as I think Nelson and Barry will make it back in easily as it is.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

As DWhite has pointed out, by casting all six votes you may be cancelling out your top choices.[/quote]

That works both ways though. By limiting your number of votes you cast, you’re also opening the door to those who you may not want on Council. For example, I especially want to see Mirau, Randhawa and Pedersen. But I really want to see Joy voted out so I’m going to cast votes for 6 in an effort to try and maximize votes for anyone other than her. I risk canceling out votes for those I like but you just never know how it will all work out.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

[quote=“BTravenn”]

That works both ways though. By limiting your number of votes you cast, you’re also opening the door to those who you may not want on Council. For example, I especially want to see Mirau, Randhawa and Pedersen. But I really want to see Joy voted out so I’m going to cast votes for 6 in an effort to try and maximize votes for anyone other than her. I risk canceling out votes for those I like but you just never know how it will all work out.[/quote]

Joy has been the top vote-getter on council for the last two elections…she will make it back on council for sure…regardless of how we feel about her…I have yet to meet one person who supports her, but I could have said the same thing through the last two elections as well and she still ended up the top vote getter for council.

Those running for re-election most at danger of losing their seats are Gina Garon and Anna Ashley…both were middle to bottom of the pack in the last two elections and it is likely them who will be most in danger of losing their seats to any of the 4 challengers.

How has local media been trying to bury Gordon-Payne?

If you’re wondering why some people are strongly against her, though, this is one big reason:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20349&hilit=curnes

[quote=“drummerboy”]

If you’re wondering why some people are strongly against her, though, this is one big reason:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20349&hilit=curnes[/quote]

They asked some unethical questions. For example, that woman from CFNR asked a completely loaded question that only the mayor could answer with regards to waterfront access. Then that dummy from the old daily news asked what council would do for small business. From what I understand, none of those questions were on the agenda. It meants that Shelly Gordon Pain was working against preparation. That’s not ethical. And when she called that dummy from the DN a devil, I agreed. All three of the media were the devil, playing tricks on her.

Go Shelly!

SGP was not biased against. She didn’t have great answers, her own fault. She doesn’t care about small business, she wants down town to fill up with LNG offices not local business, you can charge more rent…doesn’t she own a bunch of buildings? Hmmmm

[quote=“TerriblePerson”]

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20349&hilit=curnes

They asked some unethical questions. For example, that woman from CFNR asked a completely loaded question that only the mayor could answer with regards to waterfront access. Then that dummy from the old daily news asked what council would do for small business. From what I understand, none of those questions were on the agenda. It meants that Shelly Gordon Pain was working against preparation. That’s not ethical. And when she called that dummy from the DN a devil, I agreed. All three of the media were the devil, playing tricks on her.

Go Shelly![/quote]

You are so wrong on so many things, it’s hilarious!
First off, the other three candidates knew that the Chamber questions were the ones that would be used for sure. The media, as is THEIR JOB, were charged with asking the candidates what they felt would be challenging questions. How is that unethical?
Also, none of the questions were out of left field. Waterfront access and transparency and accountability are two HUGE issues for residents, and the fact that Sheila fumbled both of them says a lot about her lack of understanding of the issues.
The other three were comfortable answering the questions and didn’t look surprised at all.
Frankly, I was very surprised at Sheila. She started so well, with her opening speech and first answer but then to get knocked for a loop by two obvious, legitimate questions? Then she answered the last question reading directly from her prepared notes and pretty much begged the timekeeper to ring the bell.
And whatever you might think of George Baker, he is not a “dummy,” and it says more about you that you would resort to such name-calling when he was completely professional.
Finally, speaking of ethics, I note how you completely ignore what I offered (the link to the thread on hospital labor issue) as a reason some people will not vote for “Shelly.”

Shelley has to make tough decisions at the hospital that would make any union person think twice about voting for her
I would not vote for her but expected like most a much better presentation …