Council Rejects New School

What’s the difference?

I do not like or agree about the color or culture thing and we must try and learn that this does not play into every move that is ever made. I worked in the Alternate school setting for years and there was a pretty good mix of youth in attendance. I do not also agree about the so-called business people shutting the borders down to cow bay. I do hope they will reconsider this serious issue.

I still don’t understand the Racism part.  Like I said before, both native and non-native kids went to that school.  Unless, they have since changed the policy for the the Alternate school and only native kids can go there.  I’m not aware of any other school in Cow Bay so I’m not sure what you are referring to.

The Friendship House had the Alternate School for a few years but even there we had a few white folk there and I do not believe it was strictly for First Nations, the only other school is in the old forestry building I believe and that is Bedard’s baby and they are mostly young adults and mixed but I guess they are Kool in traffic or dangerous shops. We as adults could learn something by watching our different cultures of youth playing, studying and working as one. But let us not continue to play the race card.

[quote=“eccentric”]
What’s the difference?[/quote]

A rezoning would mean the building would be zoned from its current zoning.

The school district was looking for an amendment to the zoning to allow a school in the current zoning.

I’m still confused – Some Cow Bay merchants (not all, for sure) didn’t want it there because it went against the “character” of Cow Bay.  A building that has been empty for 10 years I guess I more along the “character” of Cow Bay ?  or how about dangerous shops, with roving welders and cranes falling down?  That’s the “character” of Cow Bay?

Still, and this is an important point:  it’s not within the Cow Bay district, it’s near it. 

I think the councilors who voted against it deserve the scorn, because they failed to exercise the most basic of logic. 

If the objection was that a school was against the character of Cow Bay, why allow Kathy Bedard’s school to be near Cow Bay?  It’s much more visible to tourists, especially those coming off cruise ships.  To fail to see through this Red Herring makes me question the intelligence of Mussalem, Gordon-Payne and Garon. 

If the objection was that Cow Bay is a dangerous place, with all the traffic, welders and heavy equipment, then why are we encouraging tourists and shoppers to go to this dangerous part of town?  Why isn’t it dangerous for Kathy Bedard’s school?  To fail to see through this Red Herring makes me question the intelligence of Mussalem, Gordon-Payne and Garon.

I can’t come up with another explanation for why they voted this way, yet didn’t have a problem with Bedard’s school in a much more prominent part of Cow Bay.

Can someone enlighten me?  Is there an argument against this school that holds water when you replace SD52 School with Kathy Bedard school?  Or that holds water when you replace SD52 School with Tourists and Shoppers?  I can’t think of one.

My only conclusion is either these three are stupid, or worse.

Anyone have the e-mail addresses of the councillors?  Or phone numbers?  I want to get the answer from the horse’s mouth.  How do I contact the 3 who voted against, so that I can get their rationale?

City Council had the opportunity to ride the wave of community support on this issue.  For over a year the community has made it abundantly clear that a revision of the alternate program was necessary.  

However, what they did was was to alienate the largest single employer and thousands of students, parents and employees.  If they were truly “plugged in” to this communities needs, they would have known this.

As for the Cow Bay merchants…no one would build a business plan based on the concepts they put forth.  In a struggling, down-turn market, why would they turn their back on such a large proportion of this community?

Politicians are suseptible to popular demand, but in this case they are saying the population of this community believes and supports their decision to deny students (they used the term fit) a place within this community.  It really isn’t a matter of where they fit.

All on the City’s website.

I admit to not understanding all of this but …

What makes a conflict of interest?  

Anna Ashley apparently excused herself.  Was that because she is a school district employee?  If that was her reason, then she hardly gains personally from any decision council makes on this issue.  

Gina Garon who according to her election profile worked in the Cow Bay area (maybe still does) and spent 12 years on the Cow Bay Merchants Association didn’t excuse herself.  Has she now distanced herself from the Cow Bay area?

Kathy Bedard conveniently doesn’t show up.  Even though she has no conflict per se it would have been awkward for her to vote against the proposal.

The merchants complain about traffic and parking like these kids will all have cars.

And forget the race issue (if there is one), but there is no doubt that discrimination is at work here.  These are teenagers who probably have a bit of an attitude.  They likely wear hoodies and baggy pants.      

But lets not forget that they will be at school.  Under some form of supervision.  With people who are likely to teach them about community responsibility.  Trying to better themselves.  So they can fit into the mainstream.

Again, I admit to not knowing all the facts, but given what I have read so far, I am not impressed with this decision.

The proposed site was adjacent to the SeaSport building.

Yes, Anna excused herself on a matter of conflict of interest because she is an employee of the school district.  And, unfortunately for her, as a council member she gets to wear this decision.

Gina was a business owner in the Cow Bay area and probably should have excused herself as well.  But did not.

Kathy should have been present, but was not.  She will have to deal with a number of pointed questions as a result.

And kids will be kids and should be kids and accepted as kids because they are kids.

Council made this bed, now they have to sleep in it!!! Can we form a coalition and have a vote of non-confidence?  Let’s get rid of them…

Gordon-Payne’s e-mail address:  gordonp@unbc.ca, phone number 624-9530

Mussallem’s e-mail address: jmussallem@princerupert.ca, phone number 627-0934

No contact details for Gina Garon.  If anybody has them, please post them.  

I’ve sent my thoughts to Ms. Gordon-Payne and Mr. Mussallem, and have asked for a clarification on their voting.  If they reply, I’ll post the reply.

Clearly Anna Ashley had no choice but to recuse herself from the vote. In these matters it is mandatory to consider the appearance of conflict of interest as well as any real conflict. As an employee of the school district Ashley did the correct thing. And while it is mere speculation on my part it probably killed her to not be able to support the school.

shame on the city and shame on cowbay merchants :unamused:

I wonder if all of you would be wishing shame on the merchants in Cow Bay if they had exercised their right to petition the City if it had been in support of the school, rather than against it.

s’cuse me?  What?

This all reminds me of when Disneyland tried to sue the city of Anaheim for putting in low cost housing like a mile away, because poor people would be contrary to their brand.

[quote=“eccentric”]
I wonder if all of you would be wishing shame on the merchants in Cow Bay if they had exercised their right to petition the City if it had been in support of the school, rather than against it.[/quote]

The problem is that they didn’t express any legitimate reason for not wanting a school in the Cow Bay area (despite it actually being outside of the Cow Bay development area).

Their reasons were either contradictory (Cow Bay is a dangerous place!) or didn’t make sense (it would be against the character of Cow Bay, but an empty building or dangerous cranes and welders are just fine).

Nobody’s questioning people’s right to oppose something.  I think people would like to have a legitimate reason for opposing it.  Why is one school (Councillor Bedard’s) ok, but this one isn’t?  Why is it dangerous for a public school, but not dangerous for tourists and shoppers?

The fact that two councillors and mayor voted against it really makes them look like they didn’t use any logic at all.

Since you’re playing the role of defender of your mother and council here, Eccentric:  can you give us a reason that the school shouldn’t be allowed there, that would make sense when applied to tourists and Councilor Bedard’s school?

Or are you just going to poke in the occasional comment and ignore the criticism of your mother and the others?

I haven’t defended anyone, really. I’m just asking rather simple questions, and I pointed out that the opinion(s) of neighbours is a big factor when deciding zoning amendments.

No, I won’t address the “criticism” you’ve made of Council–because I don’t think statements like “To fail to see through this Red Herring makes me question the intelligence of Mussalem, Gordon-Payne and Garon,” are worth my time.

I have no issue with you disagreeing with Council–go ahead, I’m not gonna stop you criticizing them. On the contrary, if you’re looking for people to blame for the result of the vote, blame the people who voted against it. However, I think it’s very unfair to belittle and insult the business people who petitioned the City in opposition of the school.

As for why the school shouldn’t be allowed there–I don’t have any. I personally have no issue with an alternate school being in Cow Bay. However, I respect the opinions of the business people who make a living in that part of town, and I think that their objections should be taken very seriously.