Council ponders iPhone incompatible website

If you own an iPhone, iPod Touch or an iPad you probably know that some websites just don’t work on them. Once in a while you’ll come across a website asking you to download the latest version of Adobe Flash in order to make the website – or at least parts of it – work.

thenorthernview.com/news/138076723.html

Are you fucking kidding me? The cities website is apparently a priority over crumbling infrastructure and a failing tech company. Wow.

Are you fucking kidding me? The cities website is apparently a priority over crumbling infrastructure and a failing tech company. Wow.

Did you read the article?

"Opinion on what to do was split. Faced with such big cost estimates, councillor Joy Thorkelson and Mayor Jack Mussallem agreed with staff that spending money on the website could wait.

“Until it can be proved otherwise, I have to stand by what the staff presented here in this report which says it could cost up to $50,000 . . . That represents a 1.5 percent tax increase to people. So we want to be careful if we’re going to do this,” says Mussallem"

We’ve pointed that out on HTMF on numerous occasions, and I included it in the feedback to Dan Rodin last summer.

Not only isn’t it accessible to most mobile devices, but more importantly, in my opinion, is that it is not easily searchable because of its heavy use of flash. Google can’t index flash either. This is more an issue of openness and transparency. Not really a strength of past councils.

As for the $50,000 in cost (what the?), maybe they could ask for some of the millions back that they loaned to Citywest? That should cover it.

Compare to terrace.ca, which is standards-based. Even the video on the site is in an open format. And Google can easily index the site.

No wonder Rupert is the 6th “worst” city in Canada. City council still couldn’t get shit together despite change of half the councilors.

[quote=“PLA”]

No wonder Rupert is the 6th “worst” city in Canada. City council still couldn’t get shit together despite change of half the councilors.[/quote]

I wonder who’s friend quoted them 50k for the website? I’ll do it for 25k.

50k for basically an off-the shelf CMS? I’ll do it for $24,999.

[quote=“MiG”]

50k for basically an off-the shelf CMS? I’ll do it for $24,999.[/quote]

You bastard now ill have to take a loss. Ill do it for 24,998.99.

Don’t be surprised. They’re constantly full of ppl who know dick shit about the Web wanting to spend money. And they KNOW that someone somewhere else must be better.
No shit, if anyone who lives there put in an offer over $200 they’d laugh them out of town.

Here they got some hotshot passing through to design a site for $25,000.00
She subcontracted to a girl they wouldn’t even consider if she made a case in person. She LIVES here.
She got $1200.00
and all the shit from everyone who wanted changes, updates, etc, for free after that.

So they ran across a grant for city websites. Now they did it again for $50K, wiping out the $25K one they just did.
Sure enough, a designer from another (read that BIG, REAL, ACTUAL) town. Not one local designer even saw the request.
It’s also a REQUIREMENT for people from away to host on budget US servers and not provide any passwords or support without payment once it’s done. IS your publicly funded dotCA not even IN Canada? Isn’t that impressive?

I sure as hell hope that we didn’t pay $50,000 for the POS website the city has now. I too would like to know who quoted them that much.

Anyone who doesn’t live there.
ABout 6 yrs back I got pissed off the Chamber website (I hosted it free) was hooped for months. Someone "who knew Dreamweaver’ tried to fix it, and whacked the whole thing. So I got pissed off on a rainy weekend and recoded the whole thing so at least it worked. Then went in an made a folder on their computer. Here’s a Message of The Day. Open word pad. Write your message, save as text named MOTD.txt into this folder. It will be on your website.
Too fuckin’ hard for three successive managers.
And dozens of requests to “donate an updated one”. Not a chance. Hence the first $25,000 one went up. $23,800 pure profit someone. It wasn’t bad, worth every penny of the $1200 the person who made it got.
Get a Vonage phone with a Vancouver number. Buy a $2000 Yellow Page ad and charge $50,000 for Joomla websites on GoDaddy for $5.99. These hick-town ppl won’t dare question your prices or pay their bill late. You’re an ex-Spurt.