Cougar sighting?

So apparently somebody spotted a cougar in Prince Rupert?

Who has more details? Was it on 4th West or 4th East?

CBC radio talked about it this morning. One of their employees spotted it around 4th East close to the PetroCan.

Hanging out in the smoking room at the Surf?

No but seriously, folks, is there a cougar in Prince Rupert? Isn’t that a bit weird?

Hey dudes, that was me. I seen that cougar there. Across the street from the Booth building - in the yard of 4XX 4th Ave E.

Honestly, I had to look a little too close for my comfort, but yes - I am 100% sure it was a cougar.

oh - and I already know that the proper way to act when faced with an aggressive cougar is to buy it a Clamato and Kokanee.

About 10 years ago, I met a kayaker that was paddling from Nanaimo to Kodiak Island. I invited him to stay over at my place but he brought his tent and set it in the backyard. The next morning he told me he was sure that he heard a cougar running after a deer near the tent. Like everyone, we always had lots of deer in the backyard but I didn’t believe him. He was sure by the sound of the animal that it wasn’t a wolf but a cougar. He didn’t see it but was pretty convinced. So maybe there’s something to this. They must like deer and PR has more than its share of them. Keep your kids inside.

Well ask the cat! Back in 99, a buddy of mine said he seen a cat like image jump across the road, in huge strides. Also, there is supposed to be a Sm’algyax name for “cougar”. So it must be true from the past. :confused:

Don’t do that Mennoknight, that will only encourage it. The best way is to avoid eye contact and slowly back away. Under no circumstances should you smile, even as a nervous reaction.

But if you smile, he might ask for a toke! :smiley:
Then everyone’s happy!

Hinterland WHo’s Who - The Cougar

http://www.hww.ca/~Content/87/Images/COUGAR.jpg
http://www.hww.ca/~Content/87/Images/MAP(31).GIF

This animal

* has the most extensive range of any terrestrial mammal in the western hemisphere 
* stalks its prey to within two or three great leaps, then launches a lightning-fast charge 
* is extremely elusive and a master of camouflage 

Range

Distribution of Cougar

The cougar’s range has decreased since European settlement but is still the most extensive of any terrestrial mammal in the western hemisphere. It extends north to the Yukon border at 60° N and south to Patagonia, Argentina. It also occupies an altitudinal range from sea level to 4 500 m and a climatic range from dry desert to extremely wet lowland tropical rainforest.

In Canada, the cougar’s range once mirrored that of its chief food, the deer, extending from the west coast south of 60° N, across the prairies, through the forests of southern Ontario to the lower Ottawa valley, into the St. Lawrence valley of Quebec, and into New Brunswick. Today, this large predator is common only in the west.

There are four Canadian subspecies of the cougar. Three subspecies of the cougar occur in western Canada, in the forested parts of British Columbia and western Alberta. The subspecies F.c. missoulensis ranges through southwestern Alberta and the interior of British Columbia; F.c. oregonensis is found along the Coast Range of British Columbia; and F.c. vancouverensis is native only to Vancouver Island.

The distribution of the eastern cougar F.c. cougar in Canada and the validity of considering it a subspecies have been questioned. During the twentieth century, cougars were reported in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia, but some of the sightings proved to be encounters with cougars from other areas that had escaped from captivity. There is no objective evidence (actual cougar specimens or other unequivocal confirmation) of the continuous presence of cougars in eastern Canada since the nineteenth century. For example, since that time, no cougars have been reported killed in Ontario, and the one animal killed in Quebec, in 1992, had escaped from captivity.

In 1978, the eastern subspecies was declared “endangeredâ€

Was it Steve French?

[quote=“mennoknight”]Hey dudes, that was me. I seen that cougar there. Across the street from the Booth building - in the yard of 4XX 4th Ave E.

Honestly, I had to look a little too close for my comfort, but yes - I am 100% sure it was a cougar.

oh - and I already know that the proper way to act when faced with an aggressive cougar is to buy it a Clamato and Kokanee.[/quote]

Were you the guy on the radio? Cool!

[quote=“MiG”]

[quote=“mennoknight”]Hey dudes, that was me. I seen that cougar there. Across the street from the Booth building - in the yard of 4XX 4th Ave E.

oh - and I already know that the proper way to act when faced with an aggressive cougar is to buy it a Clamato and Kokanee.[/quote]

Were you the guy on the radio? Cool![/quote]

maybe…am I still allowed to post here if so?

Any further sightings? I live pretty close to this, and my dog is a wimp.

[quote=“MiG”]

Were you the guy on the radio? Cool![/quote]

He’s THE guy on the radio. Now that he’s allowed back in the building :laughing:

Here’s a cat story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060111/ap_on_re_us/one_eyed_cat

OMG you nearly made my spit my drink out…lol

Mike

Apparently they shot a cougar the other night on 4th. Friend of mine heard 6 shots.

Is there any truth to this?

Oh wait, I guess that’s my job to find out.

that was my golden retriever that was shot those over zealous thugs we call police :cry: