Contracting company

the exception to the rule normally they are more expensive. i say look around and ask around about reputations

The differnce is, that woodnsteel has alot of good carpenters that work for them , most of the other guys are one or two man shows and woodnsteel is also bonded and has a dedicated designer

If Wood n Steel are consistently too expensive, how have they stayed in business and grown for the last 20+ years ?

cause they aren’t more expensive!  :stuck_out_tongue:

Its the really cheap contractors you have to be weary about…that what the Holmes guy on HGTV tells me  :wink:

i agree they do quality work just saying if you look and ask around you can have someone who does the job just as well for cheaper

when i worked for woodnsteel they were constantly fixing jobs that other guys had done the wrong way and we did it the right way , it might cost more sometimes but guys that cost less cut corners and usually it  is only a temporary fix  in that case youl pay twice then it gets expensive.

So if you end up paying al little more youl be better off in the long run

There are, basically, two types of contractors in P.R. Commercial and residential. Commercial contractors charge out more per hour because the cost of doing that work is more expensive. Residential contractors tend to have a cheaper charge out.

If a commercial contractor does residential work, the rate is usually the same as if it were a commercial job.

Lastly, Holmes is as credible as an Eskimo selling snow.

Well, it seems that no one in Prince Rupert wants my business. I called 4 companies and only 1 of them has gotten back to me with a quote for my roof.

Business owners wonder why people shop out of town. Too bad I can’t get a company from out of town to do my roof.

ive heard of terrace companies coming here. but try dh contracting or wade niesh does good work as well

I’d buy snow from an eskimo…if I needed snow  :smiley: lol

If I needed snow… wouldn’t I want to buy it from an expert like… um… an Eskimo?

Isn’t the saying “he could sell ice to an eskimo”??

O.K., O.K., I didn’t get the “Eskimo selling thingy” right. I was in a hurry. But what if I lived in the Arctic and someone was trying to sell me snow …never mind. Good night! :blush:

your supost to say its like selling a deep freeze to an eskimo ha ha ha

All-pro roofing out of Kitimat are good and will be here from the middle of June on. I went through the same problem except I received quotes I have a 1200sq/ft. roof all the material is there ie shingles,plywood,edging,tarpaper,etc. I was looking for strictly a labour quote and had 4 come in the cheapest was Talon at 4700.00$ +/- 10%.
The worst was J&J const. at 7600.00$ +/- 10%. I called J&J back to see how many days it would take to do and was told it would take 2 days,they thought 3800$ a day was good labour costs for 3 guy’s,crazy eh?.  Mind you this is demo cost as well but still, i was thinking around 1000$ to 1200$ a day. I just found out about All-pro and were told they are good,insured,and participate in work safe BC programs. I ended up doing it myself and payed a total of incl. material costs and hired help from friends 3000.00$, moral of the story be carefull who you hire.

Would you happen to have the number for them, I have searched using Canada 411 and can’t find it.

1-250-615-9797 All-pro roofing Tory was his name I believe.

Home renovation contractors are no different than any other product or service you purchase in that, “price is relative to quality”.
In my experience, you need to look for two things, first that the contractor (s) are qualified tradesmen, because many are not, and therefore may lack the technical expertise. Secondly that they are legitimate and are a licenced business, and will take care of things like building permits and inspections etc. If not , then you might as well do it yourself, or hire a friend that you know is qualified or at least capable. I have found that all too often, just like in many other areas,“if you want something done right, do it yourself”. 

Agree fully with your statement, not only that the money one saves is ridiculous. I mean you could do it yourself, make a mistake that might cost you some money learn from it and still come out thousands ahead of the game. Like I said my roof was going to cost me with a contractor 5000.00$ easy. I did it myself and saved 2000.00$ plus dollars,I had it inspected by both the city and my Ins. company and it went through it’s first test this winter,to say the least I am proud of my family and I for doing it. We focused the savings to other projects around the house. If you are young enough and have safe equipment and harnesses which can be rented it seems to be the way to go. And a little help from some knowledgeable family or friends,or on line and books.

I definitely would NOT recommend Erik Vantankeren. As for others I couldn’t tell ya.