Conservationist blame DFO for thrown back Chum

Three different BC salmon conservation groups say that north coast fishermen have thrown back 1.37 million pounds of Chum Salmon – enough to fill 40 transport trucks - while rushing to catch as many Pink Salmon as they can within the 16-hour window. Regulations say that Chum Salmon have to be thrown back as quickly as possible, but fishermen who are preoccupied with the Pink Salmon are leaving the Chum out of the water for too long before being thrown back. The result, say the conservationists, is that about half of the fish do not survive afterwards long enough to spawn, making the problem of depleting Chum stocks even worse.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 75368.html

A bit behind the news curve on this one!

http://forum.hackingthemainframe.com/t/concerns-over-handling-of-salmon-off-kitimat/13943/1

I think the fisherman should be keeping eveything they catch and have smaller windows and quota for everything.

The DFO are really screwing things up for the salmon species in whole, trying to target one species and throwing back another is not the answer to the problem !

The fact that DFO are controlled and regulated out of Ottawa is bull , what do polititions know about fish ? Nothing other than a dollar sign.

[quote=“Turd_sandwich”]I think the fisherman should be keeping eveything they catch and have smaller windows and quota for everything.

The DFO are really screwing things up for the salmon species in whole, trying to target one species and throwing back another is not the answer to the problem !

The fact that DFO are controlled and regulated out of Ottawa is bull , what do polititions know about fish ? Nothing other than a dollar sign.[/quote]

completely agree. You take a fish out of the water and leave it out for more than a few minutes its a dead fish. 8 hrs keep everything you catch and close it.

Really funny that Greg Taylor is now saying that seines are not complying…when he was with Ocean Fish the seines could do no wrong!!!Fact is that when you get a couple of thousand fish in a set,it is imposable to throw all chums back alive…and I agree…if you catch it ,you should have to keep it,what a waste.Much like the catch and release of steelhead on the Skeena,many of which are DEAD!!!STUPID!!!