Conflict of interest?

[quote=“fingahz”]

Maybe some of them are pissed off or crazy. Every single one of them has a right to run for council. I’m wondering, since you mentioned it, what does it take to be a municipal councillor, in your opinion?? Does a person have to be more than an average citizen?? Do you have to be a highly prominent businessman or have an incredible gift of gab?? Its my opinion that every single person nominated has what it takes. Each one of these people has their reasons for running and they all have different attributes that make them unique. Some of them want to strive for different things. It’s the issues that do it for me, not what race, sex, class of person or how much money they have. In high school, the school elections were all about popularity. You’d think that we all would have outgrown that by adulthood.[/quote]

If we go by your reasoning, Justin, then we needn’t bother with a vote and everyone who wants to be a councilor should be acclaimed! To suggest that everyone who runs has what it takes is ridiculous. They all have the RIGHT to run, that’s true, but half of them have very little of the skills it takes to represent the city well and make sound judgments on how it is run. Now, of course, you and I will have different ideas as to what skills are most valuable but voters must have some criteria; simply stepping up to the plate doesn’t make anyone worthy.

I am not going to name any names here because its not fair, but I know of 3 candidates that are running to keep any new commercial development out of Prince Rupert.

That’s not surprising at all. Reading about the candidates, and what they have to say about things; only few actually have something intelligent to say. I am hesistant on voting this year.

Like the old days when we supposedly had the group of seven who did not want new business kind of thing? We need a Big sign out on the highway saying we are open for business.

agreed

One can always tell when Gabe and Dorthy are around their laughter sounds like and old machine gun. They must practice at home.

[quote=“poolboy”]

Maybe some of them are pissed off or crazy. Every single one of them has a right to run for council. I’m wondering, since you mentioned it, what does it take to be a municipal councillor, in your opinion?? Does a person have to be more than an average citizen?? Do you have to be a highly prominent businessman or have an incredible gift of gab?? Its my opinion that every single person nominated has what it takes. Each one of these people has their reasons for running and they all have different attributes that make them unique. Some of them want to strive for different things. It’s the issues that do it for me, not what race, sex, class of person or how much money they have. In high school, the school elections were all about popularity. You’d think that we all would have outgrown that by adulthood.

If we go by your reasoning, Justin, then we needn’t bother with a vote and everyone who wants to be a councilor should be acclaimed! To suggest that everyone who runs has what it takes is ridiculous. They all have the RIGHT to run, that’s true, but half of them have very little of the skills it takes to represent the city well and make sound judgments on how it is run. Now, of course, you and I will have different ideas as to what skills are most valuable but voters must have some criteria; simply stepping up to the plate doesn’t make anyone worthy.[/quote]

Then tell me what it takes. Of course not everyone should be acclaimed as you suggest but everyone has issues that are important to them. They may not be the ones that you or I have but they do have their own. In addition to that, not everyone may be able to articulate themselves as well as others verbally in a public forum. Some aren’t blessed with the gift of gab as Herb Pond is. I don’t beleive that you have to be a great public speaker to be on council. Most of us only get a small amount of information on each candidate before the election. To be able to tell exactly if this person “has what it takes” in a month of campaigning, most of which consists of signs and ads in the paper, is absurd. Who really knows how some of these people would do if they were given the opportunity. Some candidates would make terrible councillors in my opinion but thats my opinion. To the next guy they might seem to be perfect.

The Public Speaker works but if you can’t talk and be with the public you should not be there, shit they put you in. So election time comes around, yeah here I go again , they come out shaking babys and kissing hand, go to restaurants they would never normally go to sit. Nov. 19 win or lose they disappear for another three or four years. Even if they get into office.So If you get elected remember your mandate is with the public as well.