Computer Life Span

i’d rather have a mac too, but i’ve got a shitload of cheap PC parts to play with.
Athlons get so fucking hot i still have a scar from touching a cooling fin six weeks ago. but they work good for pc’s

There’s a place for cheap hardware. The current server hosting this site is pretty much a throw-away PeeCee with some RAM and a new hard drive. It was going to the dump.

Like the PII-233 server in my backroom! It’s run fine 24/7 since Spring of 2000. Soon as I figure out how to access webin remote it’s days are numbered

18:45:28 up 105 days, 4:22, 1 user, load average: 0.02, 0.03, 0.00

gotta love 150 dollar machines…the best part is the case was 80

webmin is easy… 1.1.1.1:10000

Your up goes there instead of 1.1.1.1

Should work…

i can only work it from localhost or 127.0.0.1. Can’t seem to get it to work from elsewhere. Webmin itself looks like it’s set to allow all…

but yay just got proftp working… getting there…

do you have a .htaccess file ? or something in /etc/webmin or some include statment for an htaccess file in your apache config?

or try adding your ip to hosts allow
port:ip

but htat wont work if there is an htaccess file :wink:

hosts.allow is set to all:all:allow

/etc/webmin/htaccess-htpasswd/config

htaccess=.htaccess

only one found .htaccess in www/html/addon-modules
it’s set to deny all, allow localhost.

edited. now i have to restart apache, right?

yes…

so far my favorite thing now is playing with Top and kill then the number hahah… i wish or i wonder if there is a way to set a process to a certain amount of ram and cpu… ?

Jason, try

man nice

Also, you can start/stop most services with just

service httpd restart

replace the name of most daemons/services for httpd.

service x stop…
lot easier than /etc/rc.d/init.d/x stop (use red hat 7 sometimes)

anyway it didn’t work. i added wireless router IP restarted httpd, webmin usermin.

i thin the only thing that matches any thing near a super computer is a mac g5.
did you know after japan released there earth simulator which was the most fastes thing ever made, the U.S have decided to develop in a even faster computer which is costing them $25m.
when it is finished i bet it will be supper fast

I got remote webmin access going! It was shorewall. Had to allow access to 10000 in shorewall.
Occam’s Razor!
I shoulda thought of that.
You guys shoulda guessed that.
Everybody slap their foreheads and say DOH! after me…

Watch it, or you’ll sound like a looser.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]I got remote webmin access going! It was shorewall. Had to allow access to 10000 in shorewall.
Occam’s Razor!
I shoulda thought of that.
You guys shoulda guessed that.
Everybody slap their foreheads and say DOH! after me…[/quote]

well maybe if we knew you were running firewall soft :wink:

ahhh im now on the hunt for a mac server… But this time ill be purchasing the actually licensed os… Ive Looked all over for 10.3 server no luck… so ill buy it… It is way cheaper than windows .net server or any of the windows server software…

I just picked up a new Pc book tonight to catch up on some of the slim laptops and stuff… hah the apple g4 laptop is still cheaper than any branded laptops that are thin lightweight… NICE>>!!

I was also interested in these new network storage devices… Humm Starting to give me a idea to have one : O )