Colin Powell endorses Obama

Colin Powell, the former Secretary of State (2001-2005), announces his support for Obama.  Powell is a Republican.

[quote] (CNN) – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell announced Sunday that he will be voting for Sen. Barack Obama, citing the Democrat’s “ability to inspire” and the “inclusive nature of his campaign.”

“He has both style and substance. I think he is a transformational figure,” Powell said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“Obama displayed a steadiness. Showed intellectual vigor. He has a definitive way of doing business that will do us well,” Powell said.

Powell, a retired U.S. general and a Republican, was once seen as a possible presidential candidate himself.

Powell said he questioned Sen. John McCain’s judgment in picking Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate because he doesn’t think she is ready to be president.

He also said he was disappointed with some of McCain’s campaign tactics, such as bringing up Obama’s ties to former 1960s radical Bill Ayers.[/quote]

CNN

That’s a mighty interesting developement at this stage of the race. Will it help Obama enough to give him a clear lead over McCain?

"La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid"
Maybe , just maybe the “grand old party” should not of let him twist in the wind like that over the Iraq WMD affair. I think its official, McCain is going down like the Titanic and Palin is enjoying the ride at the bow.  :smiley:

I hope so! 
But, the only real poll is the one that counts on November 4th.  I’m not ready to call this one a done deal.

Yelling “I’m the queen of the world” ?

He has a pretty clear lead now.

The Electoral College system is a bit like our First Past the Post.  In most states, the candidate that wins the state gets all the EC votes.  So you can win a state with 51% and you’ll receive 100% of the EC votes.

Take a look here:  fivethirtyeight.com/

Right now, Obama would receive 51.6% of the popular vote versus McCain’s 46.7%.  But he would win 64% of the Electoral College votes.

Yes.  The electoral college projections look very good for Obama.  I’m starting to feel cautiously optimistic. 

I’m with hitest-I never thought W. would get a second term in office and yet…I don’t think we can really call this one until the last controversial ballot is counted.

Powell today on Meet The Press.

Obama’s reaction to Powell

Well I’m just glad that Powell has distanced himself from the right wing cabal that seems to have taken over the brain of John McCain.

Kind of gives you hope that the entire Republican party hasn’t lost its mind or morphed into some kind of nativist party ready to relaunch scenes from Gangs of New York (rent the movie it’s kind of interesting how politics played out back then)

He pretty well shot down the theory that Obama can’t be trusted to have the best interests of the USA at heart, nor that he’s somehow dangerous or not ready to lead.

Of course Fox has had a day now to work on some new talking points so stay tuned.