CityWest to begin usage billing for Internet despite CRTC re

Even though the federal government appears poised to repeal a CRTC decision that could cause Canadians to lose their unlimited access Internet plans, North Coast residents could be losing theirs even if it is repealed.

CityWest, Prince Rupert’s only Internet service provider (ISP) says that it plans to introduce usage billing in March, unless the federal government expressly forbids ISPs from doing so.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 34039.html

[quote=“TheNewsman”]Even though the federal government appears poised to repeal a CRTC decision that could cause Canadians to lose their unlimited access Internet plans, North Coast residents could be losing theirs even if it is repealed.

CityWest, Prince Rupert’s only Internet service provider (ISP) says that it plans to introduce usage billing in March, unless the federal government expressly forbids ISPs from doing so.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 34039.html[/quote]

Ah don’t leave out the best part,

“When asked for his position on CityWest’s decision, Mayor Jack Mussallem declined to comment.”

I understand the question was may we have a comment, and the reply was

No you may not

Well then they should be reported to CRTC if they choose to go against the final ruling and as for our Mayor , why does that not surprise me.

I work at Citywest in their traffic shaping division and the NO YOU MAY NOT youtube videos and their derivatives make up 75% of the content being streamed from the pipe between Terrace and here. Jack is just shutting down our voice! Lets go full Tahrir on him!!!

CityWest is supposed to make money. Why would it hold off on implementing usage billing just because the Tories are asking for the decision to be reconsidered. If it turns out the decision is upheld, I predict we’ll all be back here criticizing CityWest for being behind the times and not making extra money as early as they could have.

Doubtful, considering the type of service we get now…