CityWest pulls plug on mobile serices; Telus opening in PR

CityWest is finally throwing in the towel in regards to its cellular services. Telus will be opening up a new store in 2014 and will have a temporary store inside the CityWest building downtown.

northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … lular.html

about.telus.com/community/englis … nce-rupert

They asked around, and nobody wanted it.

Yup that new fangled teck o nology will never last

Hopefully this means improved Telus coverage in Prince Rupert and the NW region. From the Telus news release:

“TELUS already has an extensive wireless network in Prince Rupert, covering most of the city. This new partnership gives TELUS the platform to continue investing in the area, including bringing customers new technology such as 4G LTE, likely next year. TELUS is also committed to expanding wireless coverage along the Highway 16 corridor in the coming years, and has connected more than 40 kilometers of the highway to crucial wireless services over the last few months.”

Hopefully Telus paid CityWest for their customer base and maybe the city will even get a dividend next year. Too optimistic?

[quote=“Kispiox”]Hopefully this means improved Telus coverage in Prince Rupert and the NW region. From the Telus news release:

“TELUS already has an extensive wireless network in Prince Rupert, covering most of the city. This new partnership gives TELUS the platform to continue investing in the area, including bringing customers new technology such as 4G LTE, likely next year. TELUS is also committed to expanding wireless coverage along the Highway 16 corridor in the coming years, and has connected more than 40 kilometers of the highway to crucial wireless services over the last few months.”

Hopefully Telus paid CityWest for their customer base and maybe the city will even get a dividend next year. Too optimistic?[/quote]

Or maybe it’s just the first step in the eventual Telus takeover.

Once you’ve developed a “partnership”, it may not be too big a leap to have Telus take it all over and buy out CityWest.

Providing Rupert with Telus TV and Telus internet service to compliment the new Telus cellular service.

Though not sure what that would mean for all of the CityWest team on 3rd Avenue.

Guess we’ll see what this means when CityWest next updates the City on its investment in the company.

How much did the slow death of Citywest mobile cost the taxpayers of Prince Rupert?

I’d rather Shaw buyout the rest. Telus internet is horrible.

Would be better if Shaw took over Cable and Internet

Telus TV sucks, it cuts out and goes pitch black for no reason all the time

[quote=“Old major”]
Once you’ve developed a “partnership”, it may not be too big a leap to have Telus take it all over and buy out CityWest. [/quote]

Take it all over? They just have to put it out of business. Or wait for Citywest to put itself out of business.

Why would you pay to acquire Citywest’s customers when they’ll just come to you anyway? That’s what’s happened with the mobile division.

Remember Citywest had a “partnership” with Bell & Northwestel. What an expensive mistake that “partnership” turned out to be. Bell didn’t buy Citywest, there’s no reason to think that Telus will either.

The “partnership” is the same “partnership” that cellphone kiosks in malls have with Telus. They sell Telus phones. That’s about it.

Citywest is acting like a company that has zero oversight and no accountability. Who cares how much they cost Prince Rupert taxpayers, nobody’s got the backbone to actually do anything about it. How much did your taxes go up last year because of Citywest?

Other than “expressing surprise”, what has been done by Citywest’s owners? nothing.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we learned that the person responsible for CItywest’s disaster of a mobile strategy was promoted. In the real world, that person would have been fired.

Until you get a City Council willing to actually do anything about Citywest (ie: sell it, fire people, etc), then the message Citywest keeps receiving from its owners is that “everything is fine, carry on.” Oh, you’re not paying a dividend this year… again? Ok, no worries, carry on. Oh? Again this year? No worries, carry on. Oh? You cost the city how much with the “we asked around and nobody wants it” mobile strategy? How many millions? Ok, no worries, carry on, have a promotion.

IF there is money gained here, they’ll just blow it on expanding offices out of town for markets that have little to no value

I am happy I don’t have to give up my number :smile: Been waiting for this to happen, but must say I was really close last week to giving in to some of the good deals that were being offered elsewhere.

Yay!

I’m sticking with Rogers for now. My contract comes up this summer. I will explore my options then.

[quote=“MiG”]

How do you know this? The first thing that came to my mind was that maybe Citywest was supplying the gateway, through their fibre backbone, for the Telus LTE network. If this is the case Citywest could potentially profit from every byte of data that passes through Telus’s Wireless Network that goes to/from the internet. Please tell us how you know Citywest is only selling phones for Telus.

I don’t know, of course.

But Telus had LTE service in Rupert before this announcement. Where did they get their bandwidth before? I’ll bet they’ll continue it use that source.

Where does Citywest itself get its bandwidth?

If this partnership is anything like the last partnership, then it can only mean more bad news for taxpayers.

How much did the loss of mobile services cost the taxpayers? Going from a monopoly to giving up the market because “they asked around and nobody wanted it” in just 6 years. Wonderful.

Tell us how you know that the people who made that decision and cost the city millions aren’t still around making bad decisions?

My dad says not only are those people still around, but they have all been promoted! Look who is CEO!

I don’t get it. Who is the CEO? And what did he or she have to do with Citywest going from a mobile monopoly to surrendering?

[quote=“MiG”]I don’t know, of course.

But Telus had LTE service in Rupert before this announcement. Where did they get their bandwidth before? I’ll bet they’ll continue it use that source. [/quote]

I was referring to 4G LTE Telus was referring to when they made the statement **"This new partnership gives TELUS the platform to continue investing in the area, including bringing customers new technology such as 4G LTE, likely next year. " **

Do you mean location as in Prince George or are you referring to Citywest Group’s Fibre company? The question is a little vague and I can not see any relevance for either.

Why are you getting hysterical Mig? You haven’t even learned the details of the partnership and already you have proclaimed to know what the deal was (selling telephones for Telus) at one point and now your asking how much of a loss to the tax payers this partnership caused. Some of your sentences are not even coherent. Maybe take a step back and reflect.

[quote=“MiG”]
Tell us how you know that the people who made that decision and cost the city millions aren’t still around making bad decisions?[/quote]

Huh? I never proclaimed they were or weren’t

Reflect on this: a few years ago Citywest had a monopoly on mobile service in Prince Rupert. Now it is out of that business.

Perhaps you should dig into that a bit.

Giving up their monopoly of city wide mobile services due to the whole “we asked around…” policy is a MASSIVE MASSIVE fuck up on CityWest part…and I am actually surprised more PR taxpayers are not seriously pissed off about this. The people that made these decisions have PISSED away PR tax payers money…instead of being fired they all still REMAIN with this company.

It is unbelievable to me…only in PR could someone get away with a such a massive mistake and get a promotion.

[quote=“Dex”]

[quote=“MiG”]I don’t know, of course.

But Telus had LTE service in Rupert before this announcement. Where did they get their bandwidth before? I’ll bet they’ll continue it use that source. [/quote]

I was referring to 4G LTE Telus was referring to when they made the statement **"This new partnership gives TELUS the platform to continue investing in the area, including bringing customers new technology such as 4G LTE, likely next year. " **

Do you mean location as in Prince George or are you referring to Citywest Group’s Fibre company? The question is a little vague and I can not see any relevance for either.

Why are you getting hysterical Mig? You haven’t even learned the details of the partnership and already you have proclaimed to know what the deal was (selling telephones for Telus) at one point and now your asking how much of a loss to the tax payers this partnership caused. Some of your sentences are not even coherent. Maybe take a step back and reflect.

[quote=“MiG”]
Tell us how you know that the people who made that decision and cost the city millions aren’t still around making bad decisions?[/quote]

Huh? I never proclaimed they were or weren’t[/quote]

Dex losing his sh*t about CityWest again. Just give up. lol