Citywest Cellular Service down in Prince Rupert

thenorthernview.com/news/170530156.html

Hahah! Nobody really noticed, because nobody actually uses Citywest for cellular anymore, do they?

that was the nail in my loyalty coffin…

good bye shitty west

If a tree falls in the forest…

[size=155]Finally, new phones at Citywest![/size]

[quote=“MEMEPOSTER5000”][size=155]Finally, new phones at Citywest![/size]

ROTFL!!!ROTFL!!!ROTFL!!!ROTFL!!!ROTFL!!!ROTFL!!!

I remember those phones. Solid. Could use them as weapons.

These days if you carried that around the RCMP would be called to look into possible terrorist activity.

So, seriously…if you were to dump citywest cell service…what would you choose…Telus? Bell? Would you take over someone else’s existing contract? Just doing some homework in case I finally get pushed over the edge someday SOON!!

im with telus, it was a rocky start with them (5 yrs ago after losing it with rogers), but the customer service has constantly improved and I have to say is pretty great.

Here’s the shocker, they had some down time last year… and when I called to tell them I was affected and having issues they told me they were having an issue, gave me a timeline to be fixed, and gave me a credit without me even having to ask. The issue was resolved before their timeline, the credit was applied and they sent me a box of chocolates.

Now thats a billion dollar corporation headquartered who the fuck knows where… so hows local advantage thing that citywest tries to sell you working out?

Sometimes the grass really is greener on the other side. PS, the way telus does contracts now is awesome! you get the phone for cheap/free and a certain amount of your bill per month goes towards the actual cost of the phone (you can see the amount and balance owing in your account).

If you want out you pay off what’s left of what the phone would have cost you without a contract and you’re done. I was going to buy my phone outright until they told me that and considering the bill was the same monthly with/without the contract you’d be stupid not to.

Right now for me Speakout from 7-11 works very well. I really like the Rogers Network and if I decide to get rid of my land line completely I will get a plan from Rogers and go that route, as using speakout I have learned how reliable Rogers is.

It’s great that people use telus, bell and others as well, shitty west is the just that.

Citywest cellular is actually Northwestel. The linked article states that there was a power outage in the Yukon, which is why the service was down in Rupert. At least this time it wasn’t because somebody plugged in the wrong cable or whatever :smile: Remember that local power outage?

I don’t see how having your service in the Yukon is a local advantage over Bell, Telus, or Rogers. All of which are Canadian companies with local operations as well. Not based in the Yukon.

I don’t think at this point there is any advantage to Citywest cellular, is there? Maybe bundling? Or if you don’t mind outages and old phones?

Can you get the iPhone or any of the newer phones on Citywest yet? I thought they said that was happening last Christmas?

Meanwhile, here’s my iPhone 5 on Speakout :smile: $10/month no contract.

“Critics blame Yukon phone outage on aging infrastructure” cbc.ca/news/technology/story … utage.html

I guess the “local advantage” is that you can physically walk in to Citywest and be told in person that there’s nothing they can do about your phone not working. Because of Northwestel’s infrastructure is so old. In the Yukon. That’s certainly an advantage.

[quote=“MiG”]“Critics blame Yukon phone outage on aging infrastructure” cbc.ca/news/technology/story … utage.html

I guess the “local advantage” is that you can physically walk in to Citywest and be told in person that there’s nothing they can do about your phone not working. Because of Northwestel’s infrastructure is so old. In the Yukon. That’s certainly an advantage.[/quote]

There’s another local advantage as well. Your tax dollars get to be used to prop up their failed business model. I have to admit I am jealous, it sure would be nice to not have to generate a profit in order to operate your business and to be able to run to the tax payers every time you fuck up.

Well, to be fair, Citywest does (now) make a profit. But wether that profit is worth risking such a big investment in the market is another story.

I wonder how much the failure of their mobile strategic plan cost the taxpayers? You remember the strategic plan – “we asked around and nobody wants it [data, texting, etc]”?

When I still had my citywest phone, I had service all of the time at my boyfriends house in Thornhill. But on Telus, it’s intermittent. Not the fault of telus though. Thornhill just has shitty service. That was the only plus of having Citywest cell service here in terrace. I’m now on Telus, with a nice little android phone and I’m pretty happy. I don’t have any complaints at all. Other than intermittent service.
We have Citywest internet, cable and phone, and it was far better of a deal as a bundle than going with Telus for it. The techs up here are really nice. And apparently they think the Techs from rupert are a total joke. Was kind of funny hearing the stories the installer had heard of the shenannigans that go on in rupert.

We just got rid of citywest phone serivice, and went from ADSL to CABLE modem with the basic digital package, I would get rid of Cable TV all together as all our shows can be watched online from different sources like Netflix usa, HULU or from the online networks using boxee box.