Citywest and mobile data services

YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!  AND TAKE YOUR INTERWEBS WITH YOU!

Next you’ll be telling us that we don’t need cars, or trucks, or computers.

You (and the article) make the mistake of attributing bad manners to the technology.  You should know better than that by now…  if people are ignorant rude jackasses, it doesn’t take technology for them to express it.

Herbie is the kind of guy who if you took everything away from him, isolated him in a spot where no one else ever was or would ever come to, he’d still find a way to grump about other people. That he works with the public is just sweet irony.

Damn rights!
Haha. It’s just your all grumping like you’re actually missing something vital.
The people fighting it in the Slocan valley are doomed, but it’s nice to see an alternative to the completely artificial ‘need’.

I can count the number of times I’ve used a cellular phone on one hand.  It’s not something that I need as part of my job or my private life.  However, I know many people who have to have one on them at all times.  Although I don’t think having a cellular phone is particularly healthy (on many levels), I don’t object to there use and am not bothered when I see them - one might even come in handy to phone 911 if I should ever need help.  On a related note, I once knew a guy who spent all day at work using computers, his wife wouldn’t allow him (or herself for that matter) to have a computer at home.  But that might not work for everyone, I know I couldn’t do it.

I have spoken to people coming to town to conduct business and they are shocked at the lack of mobile services here.
I have  been bugging shitty tel for almost 2 yrs as to when we will be able to receive/send legible facisimiles on the road.  They keep saying we are waiting for a “v chip or mod 2” …
Still waiting…

Well we’d be waiting for ever if it wasn’t for the other businesses sniffing around. Not that I want to be tied any further to my electronic leash, but I’d settle for just being able to get the pictures off my cellphone.

You “might” be able to buy a data cable for your phone to do that. S-Tel wont have one for ya… or they wont be able to order the correct one. Check out your cell manufacture web site to see if they make one for your phone. A phone person once told me make sure that a phone has a port to connect to ur computer. A lot of the cables come with software so you can upload your contacts, ringtones, music and pictures. Most phone companies charge $.25 per picture download, so a $50-60 dollar cable would pay for itself.

add in $3 - $4 for a ringtone… that’s where they get ya.
We did a market research into setting up our own cellphone company here in 2001-2002. The average user paid $89 a month then. Glad we didn’t as we’d be in CityTel’s boat. Everyone forgets they’d have none at all when the Big Guys come around. They weren’t there years ago when they were needed, were they?
That’s what cam of our attempt. We did ALL the research and the minute word got out, Telus setup in 2004. With a 40 ft high antenna downtown, just enough to steal the biggest part of the market area before someone else could. They still fade out at the edge of town, not a penny in better signals.
Just more gizmos at $5 per pkg per month extra.
I know 1/2 dozen ppl here who still have no Internet because “Rogers is coming” and their cellphone Internet is SO much better than any other kind of Internet access available now.

As far as I understand… one of these will suffice, and it comes with a cd of ringtones, images, and screen savers.  All for under $15 including shipping.  Might be more depending on the kind of phone you have… but this one would work fine for me.

http://tinyurl.com/2b3mdj

Smartass ypu go to citywest and ask how much for data cable?, I did when I got my phone, 50.00 fricken dollers, just for cable…lol…thanks for the ebay I bought one too.

Yeah I asked that when I first got my phone… got the usual excuse… “oh I don’t think they make those for this phone yet… it’s too new.”  I asked a year later, still got the same response. 

I then mentioned I could get the right cable on ebay for less than $20 and the lady just laughed at me and said “Oh that can’t be right, they cost much more than that.”  Ooooooooh but I thought they didn’t make them yet??  :smiley:

I just browsed through this post, but I head yesterday that Telus is setting up a new repeater in Oona River. Somtimes in Port Ed i get a weird 1x signal. I wonder if it has somthing to do with what happening in Oona.

From the latest edition of the city’s own, on line newsletter, a blurb about the new Maher Terminals Manager, recently re-located from New Jersey.

princerupert.ca/erupert/august/main.html

And the quote for the Citywest bulletin board…

"Two weeks into this adjustment, Mark’s Blackberry sits idle on his desk collecting dust "

Memo to Citywest: it would seem that these kind of services might actually be in demand eh! :unamused:

For other intriguing reading, check out The Herb’s opening  comments to the community for August  at the left hand column…

Wow. I had no idea that newsletter even existed. Nice of them to bury it on the city website. Just like they clearly link and show how to unsubscribe to it, but I’ll be damned if I can find out how to subscribe. Oh yeah… the newsletter says to go to the website… only the subscribe link is nowhere to be found.

Government at it’s best…lol

Ahoy ye Cel phone users, CityWest has plans to bring you your data services…

From the Northern View’s on line edition:

Wireless data services set to start in Rupert next month
By Shaun Thomas The Northern View
Aug 22 2007

Residents of Prince Rupert could see text messaging and other wireless data services in the city by the end of next month as CityWest announced on Monday that it was finalizing an agreement that would see significant upgrades to the cellular infrastructure in
the city.

The installation and operation of the new cellular network, which will include the availability of text messaging, photo messaging, e-mail access and internet browser access through cell phones, is being done in partnership with Northwestel Wireless Inc., a subsidiary of the largest communications provider in Northern Canada. The installation and test period for the upgrades will take place throughout September with a tentative launch date set for late September.

“CityWest is pleased to have reached a sound business arrangement in order to offer this exciting new service to our customers,â€

Hmmm… Rogers must be getting close to setting up :wink: 

LOL

“this exciting new service to our customers”

How long has texting been around?

I think it first started back in Roman times, but the connections were rather shaky.

Caesar apparently didn’t get the message not to go to the Senate that day…

I think the text message went something like:

“Juli don’t go”

If they only had better bandwidth back then, history would have been so different.