City West Cult

Does anyone know how to get out??? I really want to take my cell number to another company (Rogers) and am told by Rogers I can port my number there…however am told by City West I can not…I don’t want to lose my cell number as it is a business number and on business cards, adverts etc.

You can check in any time you want, but you can never leave…

[quote=“sunflowergurl”]Does anyone know how to get out??? I really want to take my cell number to another company (Rogers) and am told by Rogers I can port my number there…however am told by City West I can not…I don’t want to lose my cell number as it is a business number and on business cards, adverts etc.

You can check in any time you want, but you can never leave…[/quote]

Does Rogers know you’re porting from Citywest? Get them to check into it. Seems to me that sometimes, because these call centers are back east, or even worse, over seas, they aren’t always in the know when it comes to our little towns situation.

Yes, I told them it was City West and they said they can “guarantee” I can port my number because otherwise it is illegal according to the CRTC (or whatever…) Is this the case? Guess I just have to find a way to get out because I really don’t like their choices of phones. They only have two phones, the Blackberry Curve and a “flip phone”…mrrr.

SEe if you can get a number similar to the one you have on rogers, telus or bell. I think the issue MIGHT be, and I am not at all certain, so don’t quote me. The fact that the two networks are different. I’m no phone geek, but luckily there are phone geeks on here. Chime in any time guys.

Can’t happen, at least with Citywest. Its their number. If people were able to take their Citywest numbers to another business (i.e. Bell, Rogers, Telus, etc.) Citywest would have no customers.

Who told you that you couldn’t port the number? Rogers or Citywest?

I’ve successfully ported from Telus to Rogers then the same number from Rogers to VIrgin. Took about 20 minutes, literally. I’ve also successfully ported numbers to and from SpeakOut 7-11.

You’re supposed to ask your new provider to port the number for you, not your old one.

More info on the CRTC website: crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t1025.htm

And specific to the Rogers-Citywest issue: crtc.gc.ca/PartVII/eng/2009/ … 906042.htm

And finally, here’s Rogers explaining why Citywest won’t allow their numbers to be ported: crtc.gc.ca/public/partvii/20 … 748118.PDF

Sounds like the only solution is to get a Port Edward number like everyone else.

Seems to me the message from Citywest is clear: don’t get Citywest phone service, as you’ll never be able to take your number with you. Instead, get Bell, Telus, Rogers, Koodoo, Virgin, 7-11 SpeakOut, PetroCanada Mobile, Fido, etc. All which allow you to take your number with you. Good job Citywest.

[quote=“MiG”]

And finally, here’s Rogers explaining why Citywest won’t allow their numbers to be ported: crtc.gc.ca/public/partvii/20 … 748118.PDF

Sounds like the only solution is to get a Port Edward number like everyone else.

Seems to me the message from Citywest is clear: don’t get Citywest phone service, as you’ll never be able to take your number with you. Instead, get Bell, Telus, Rogers, Koodoo, Virgin, 7-11 SpeakOut, PetroCanada Mobile, Fido, etc. All which allow you to take your number with you. Good job Citywest.[/quote]

The conclusion of the letter that you linked to is that Rogers gave up on trying to work with Citywest to implement number portability here. It’s a long, tedious paper trail.

At one point Citywest asked for an extension of a CRTC deadline because some of their staff were going on vacation. They eventually submitted a plan but it was a “higher level plan”; translation: it was incomplete.

This comment from Rogers to the CRTC in a letter on Sept 12, 2011 pretty much sums things up: “3. Rogers would like to note that despite years of preparation time, including Citywest’s request for extension in this most recent process, Citywest continues to successfully game the process. Citywest is clearly ignoring and evading the framework and timelines established by the Commission for the introduction of WNP.” crtc.gc.ca/public/partvii/20 … 614093.PDF

I wouldn’t blame the staff person in the Rogers call centre for not knowing that Citywest numbers are not portable. It’s apparently the only telecom left in the country that does not have number portability.

It’s just best to get a new number with Rogers, Telus etc. They’ve got some really good plans and they compete on pricing and service rather than on making it frustrating for you to leave, which is Citywest’s strategy. I don’t even bother with Citywest for internet anymore. I just tether to my Rogers cell phone. It works fine and the added cost of the data package was cheaper than having a stand alone internet connection with Citywest.

Sadly, as the Rogers letter pointed out, there are other small telcos in Canada that do number portability. Because it’s a two-way street.

I’d say that the inability to have a modern (from this decade) phone, coupled with no number portability, pretty much sums up Citywest’s strategy. Well done Citywest.

well citywest is doing one thing right, they are expanding their network (wired) to more rural areas and are cleaning up doing so. who would have thought living 20 minutes out of town that id be able to get fiber to the home… none of their competition has decided we are important enough for internet access so citywest will get all 200 people that live out here.

You can thank the taxpayers of Prince Rupert. Bringing better internet access to the communities outside Prince Rupert is important :smile:

Those PR taxpayers are champs. They carry a load like no other place I know. Well done Rupert!

Citywest: Gambling your tax dollars in the free market ™.

No wonder they don’t want people to be able to port their phone numbers.

Here is irony and hypocrisy – I’ll bet you can port a Telus landline number to a Citywest VOIP number in Terrace or Kitimat.

:wink: oh im thankful. actually this will likely be a very profitable endeavour for citywest and its a good strategy. i’ll bet their investment is paid off and turning a profit within a year. ps. yes you can port your numbers to and from citywest in terrace and kitimat.

Where do you live? Is this in the Terrace area?

Citywest service and cell options may suck, but telus is no freaking better. Telus promised that if by the end of february service was not better that I could terminate the remaining year 1/2 of my contract because they were going to send out their tech guys to work on it, well is now end of march and the service in Prince Rupert sucks for me, call after call fails.
Some day someone will be in an emergency and their telus phone will not work, I pray this does not happen, but far far to often telus has let me down.

[quote=“chookie”]Citywest service and cell options may suck, but telus is no freaking better. Telus promised that if by the end of february service was not better that I could terminate the remaining year 1/2 of my contract because they were going to send out their tech guys to work on it, well is now end of march and the service in Prince Rupert sucks for me, call after call fails.
Some day someone will be in an emergency and their telus phone will not work, I pray this does not happen, but far far to often telus has let me down.[/quote]

I have telus service in Prince Rupert and it’s alright. Then again, when I was living in thornhill, the service was even shittier than it is here, so I don’t have good service to compare to haha. When I’m downtown I always have service though. And plenty of bars. Home, not so much.

this is what i did, after alot of soul searching. first off i was no longer commited to a contract at citywest, so i downsized to minimum, which is $5.00 per month. then i got a rogers phone, picked a new number that i liked, which is similiar to my home number. Now i call forwarded my citywest business cell phone to my rogers phone, my new phone rings on either number, and i get to use old phone for 20 minutes no charge. not the ultimate, but i have been usng this for a year. good luck.