City to begin negotiations for the sale of Watson Island

The City of Prince Rupert says it is moving closer to the sale of the former pulp mill property with an August 18 news release indicating that its “representatives will initiate negotiations regarding the use and sale of Watson Island”.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 39419.html

Does Jacko not know what date it is or do they mean Aug.18th. 2011 . How are they doing with tearing down
the Epicurean ? Seriously though what the F*%^& is going on with this City Council and why does it seem like they just enjoy messing with the tax payers. Jacko has a gag order happening and everyone who sits there does not wish to represent any of us . Time to write letters to UBCM and have this Lego Council taken apart .
Last week there was talk of Bill Belsey and Sun Wave , possible court now Jacko has it all figured out and now there talk going down pertaining to the land . Jacko lets see something go down and while your at it can you tell us all what else have you guys been doing ?

The press release came out on the Wednesday the 18th.

The Northern View is doing thier job but Jacko had no news to share , we heard last week in regards to Bill Belsey , Sun Wave and stuff about possible court . So what is new ? What was he saying ? He is covering his ass and the rest of council’s , trying to keep the citizens at bay . There has been nothing to report in how long have they been in council ? Regarding the Northern View who are doing their job , some of us do not get the paper .

Often times “deals” that are in negotiations are kept quiet till it is completed. Must be nice Justin to have such a nice outlook onthings!

DEALS , come on Maxwell many of us thought we were going to get a good deal when they elected this city council and now what have we been getting ? There must be a whole lot of negotiations going on in there because they have all been so quiet for how long now ? Question my insight , have you been paying attention or looked around at the situation out there ? Have you seen anything that looks as if it is failing or are you just too busy watching all the folks rushing off to their jobs in the morning to take notice. I know that people get very upset with my threads when I am ranting about our economy , when I speak of The Chamber of Commerce and the City not working together , when I speak of parts of this community beginning to look like the start up of Downtown Eastside. I could keep going but I must have a better insight and close my eyes and shut my mind off while everyone is in NEGOTIATIONS .

DEALS , come on Maxwell many of us thought we were going to get a good deal when they elected this city council and now what have we been getting ? There must be a whole lot of negotiations going on in there because they have all been so quiet for how long now ? Question my insight , have you been paying attention or looked around at the situation out there ? Have you seen anything that looks as if it is failing or are you just too busy watching all the folks rushing off to their jobs in the morning to take notice. I know that people get very upset with my threads when I am ranting about our economy , when I speak of The Chamber of Commerce and the City not working together , when I speak of parts of this community beginning to look like the start up of Downtown Eastside. I could keep going but I must have a better insight and close my eyes and my mind off while everyone is in NEGOTIATIONS .

Not sure how to modify a topic on the new hackingthemainframe layout, but the story has been updated to include quotes from Sun Wave spokesperson Bill Belsey who says they are still waiting on things from the City.

I tried to delete the second copy of my post but could not figure it out sorry there fellow HTMF folk.

/HST STAB INCOMING!!!

Don’t forget the Chamber of Commerce is one of the OPPONENTS of the ANTI-HST PETITION! The Chamber is working against the people of BC.

Is that not in court at the present time with the petitions ? Or is Gordo in negotiations ?

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]/ANTI-HST STAB INCOMING!!!

Don’t forget the Chamber of Commerce is one of the OPPONENTS of the ANTI-HST PETITION! The Chamber is working against the people of BC.[/quote]

Is there a plan in BC for us to receive an HST tax rebate as they are receiving now in Ontario? Would be nice, my father has received his first one of $100.00. Off topic, I know, sorry !

UPDATE: Mayor says group formerly interested in Watson Island no longer involved

[size=1000][font=arial]…[/font][/size]

Well Golly , I knew that I should have been more positive . What was I thinking ? Oh yeah thats it " I have no Faith in this Mayor nor the City Council ." Am I really alone with that call ?

[quote=“Justin Case”]
Well Golly , I knew that I should have been more positive . What was I thinking ? Oh yeah thats it " I have no Faith in this Mayor nor the City Council ." Am I really alone with that call ?[/quote]

I doubt that you’re alone, but it doesn’t hurt to provide some specifics as to why you think that. Blanket condemnations don’t take the discussion very far. People tune that out after a while.

Bringing in a mediator is a positive step. My question is why did it take so long?

[quote=“BTravenn”] Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:56 am

… I think it’s best to move on … negotiate reasonable terms for Sun Wave to collect their stuff … bring in a mediator or arbitrator if necessary to move things along … wrap things up … close this sorry chapter … and move on for a change. [/quote]

After the law suits were filed the Mayor seemed to think that Sun Wave’s court cases would just go away because they may not be able to pay their lawyers … I heard that line from a few people. Well, things didn’t turn out that way.

When Bill Belsey called for talks, the Apr 23 Northern View reported the Mayor as saying:

“I don’t talk to anybody that has taken the City to court, even though Mr. Belsey has previously said that is a moronic statement … Once somebody has decided that they are going to take the City to court, the only recourse is to see them in court rather than to try and have a conversation about any sort of topic,” he said.

Fast forward to the Aug 10 Northern View and talking to someone that has taken the city to court is suddenly how things are done:

“Mediation is part of the process, it is something that both parties have to partake in and the City is doing that. We don’t have any results on that, but in terms of movement and trying to resolve an issue the mediation process is part of it,” said Mayor Jack Mussallem.

I get tired of the ‘don’t be negative’ line … that approach encourages sloppy thinking, ignoring problems and can result in deliberate stupidity. Perhaps the intent is to promote blind faith in politicians … never a wise course of action in any system … The city’s handling of Watson Island doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence, even leaving aside that hindsight is 20/20.

But the councillors aren’t there as managers or negotiators … their role is to come to meetings every couple of weeks and ask questions, hold people to account and give direction when necessary. I sometimes wonder what advice they get, considering the inconsistencies and flip-flops such as those just quoted. My impression from some news coverage is that the councillors are talked down to at times. But if citizens don’t give some reasoned criticism of what’s wrong what are the councillors supposed to base their decisions on?

[quote=“codybear933”]

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]/ANTI-HST STAB INCOMING!!!

Don’t forget the Chamber of Commerce is one of the OPPONENTS of the ANTI-HST PETITION! The Chamber is working against the people of BC.[/quote]

Is there a plan in BC for us to receive an HST tax rebate as they are receiving now in Ontario? Would be nice, my father has received his first one of $100.00. Off topic, I know, sorry ![/quote]

No campbell says we dont want a rebate… because they gave us one for carbon tax and he says we felt like it was a token gift and were not happy or some such bullshit.

However your GST rebate check if you get one will now be an hst rebate check. I’m sure campbell would like to accept some credit for that though

i havent gotten a gst rebate with their ass backwards thinking if you make too much you dont get a rebate. wouldnt common sense dictate if you make more you spend more gst?

The guys who were formerly looking at the site are no longer invovled? Who was that, exactly? Ajaye and his misfit band of miscreants?

Listen, it’s CN and the PRPA. You don’t need to investigate it. They are the only two “transportation” groups that have shown interest in that property to date.

Northern View, do your damn job and call those people up for christ sakes. Find out what their interests are. I thought after you ran that scumbag Daily News out of town you would surely give the City more to read than press release re-writes.

Quote from Huh?

Northern View, do your damn job and call those people up for christ sakes. Find out what their interests are. I thought after you ran that scumbag Daily News out of town you would surely give the City more to read than press release re-writes.

Yes, my sentiments exactly. So far the Northern View has been a disappointment being the only child.
At least for god’s sake (sorry to offend anybody) get a decent crossword.