City council information sessions get underway

While I have to hope these community meetings are a step in the right direction, this is such a small town, it is not like our city councillors are on the other side of the moon. They walk the same streets, talk to the same folks as the rest of us, they see the problems but still nothing is resolved or seemingly questioned til now. Maybe that is why some residents are somewhat lukewarm to this new format. Acting like you are doing us a big favor by meeting with your constituents, that is your job ! An election only 13 months away, I would have to agree with some folks on the street, timing is everything and if past history is an indicator of future performance then we are in for more of the same only with new coucillors trying to clean up a real mess.

Yes, it could be a little bit like a little too little and a little too late is what we have here.

Would these councilors not have known the meeting dates in advance? Is City business so down the list of importance to them that the meetings, or other business couldn’t have been re-scheduled?

Agreement, in principle, to the restrictive topic meeting format. The school district went to this format to avoid the hijacking that Coons and the teachers’ union accomplished at those town hall meetings. However offensive the union was in its action, this is still the people’s way of conducting open and transparent business, and the City should do likewise.

As for the 15 minute format. If a person were to remain at the table for a longer period, would this mean any other persons coming to the table would not receive the same spin, er, oops preface? How is this supposed to work in real-life?

Suggestion for topics: (1) Roll-back city administration salaries to 2005 base levels. Set up bonus structure for administrative officers to earn wages based upon performance. As city revitalizes so does the pay. (2) reduce the number of councilors to save money and to reflect the decrease in population (3) mayor position becomes a part-time position (4) compensation to mayor and council based on attendance. What is the problem with parking now that there are so few businesses? Why is this such an important topic? And what about zoning? Is there another downtown school being proposed?
Let’s have some topics that really matter.

been awhile since there was anything on htmf worth reading…yawn…

As I understand it, the Mayor is a part-time position… at least the compensation they receive would make it appear so.

[quote=“eccentric”]

As I understand it, the Mayor is a part-time position… at least the compensation they receive would make it appear so.[/quote]

No, I think his job performance or lack thereof would make it appear so !!

Part-time = half-time…quarter-time?

I totally agree that a big part of our job is to find ways to meet with, and listen to, our constituents. In actuality, I believe it is you who are doing us the favour in coming out and sharing your thoughts with us on the issues, not the other way around. As far as I’m concerned, everyone’s input is extremely valuable and helps me do my job better in terms of representing the citizens of Prince Rupert. I really appreciate anyone who is willing to give up their valuable time to share their thoughts with us, give us suggestions, and let us know their concerns. It is my sincere hope that these community meetings will help facilitate this.

I would hope that other City Council members will feel the same a you Council Member Ashley , It has been very disheartening for the many who cast their vote in the last election . There are many who feel that we seem to be seeing too much behind closed doors decisions . No one seems to have their fingers on the pulse of Rupert . I will hope to have something to make me feel that I have not totally wasted my ballot . As for Eccentric comments pertaining to touching base with people on the streets , yes I do believe that is a good place to start and try to let citizens know you do care . Why does it seem that when one takes office of any form they put on their blinders and never really pay attention as to where some may have started with the exception of the ones with a silver spoon hanging out of their face.