CIRPA = Big assholes

ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s … TopStories

This is an interesting issue.

Check out http://www.michaelgeist.ca/ for more info.

Don’t forget that as Canadians we already pay an extra tax on blank media (i.e. cds) supposedly to make up for lost revenue to the music and similar industries.

so i only got this far

and then i thought WTF? prosper? how much do they make again? OH RIGHT more than i can ever hope to make… they need help!

So everyone write your MP and tell him how you feel maybe we can get them to not be retarded and implement DMCA like laws? :unamused:

There are multiple problems with this new law. I run 50 dialup lines and regularly get notices from these arseholes that ‘one of my customers at the IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx’ was illegally up/downloading music/movies/software. The IP is the router gateway. So I have to search the logs and notify all 50 people logged on that one of them was a bad boy? Or figure out which one? Who’s gonna payfor my time? Send the bill to CIRPA?
My biggest gripe with filesharing is that I have to pay for every gig of traffic on the adsl lines. If you use the max allowed with your line per month, I LOSE about $4 on your account. If anyone goes over, 90% contest the traffic billing and about 35% flatly refuse to pay at all, including their monthly charge. I have to send them to collections, cancel their account and the agent gets 40%. I have to set the gig charges so f***ing high it covers this, and that pisses people off. Lose-lose situation. Specially when the wholesalers almost never bill for gig charges to end customers, just to resellers.
Almost everyone who gets nailed implies that it’s my responsibility to setup their filesharing, turn their computers on and off, and warn them the instant they hit their limit. I’ve kicked a dozen people off the service in the last couple months because they refuse to believe their kids are filesharing and that the traffic logs are completely made up lies to rip them off.
So we’ve had to implement policies like limiting your upload speed to 8K if I see the reports, a user agreement that says you will lose service if you download movies at all, and requiring a visa imprint on file if we even think you’re going to be a slacker.
So I guess my main gripe is the bandwidth that it gobbles up! I don’t recall a ‘bandwidth & traffic’ clause in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms…

parl.gc.ca/common/senmemb/ho … ect=hoccur

email him and tell him how you feel… or pay your media tax and still not be able to make LEGAL copies.

You can make a copy of a CD or DVD. You can’t demand the right to make copies of your friend’s CDs or DVDs.

Tell me just how one can morally demand the right to obtain someone’s property (physical or intellectual) without paying for it?

I had to ask this question of a 50 year old parent yesterday who says the Internet is for downloading music, I am obligated to assist him to do that in every way without charging, and has never even considered the concept of using the Net to enter ‘choke uploads on Kazaa’ into a search engine.

Every day I see this, and then I see my own kids CDRs laying on the floor covered with beer and ashes and I am not surprised at all to see my $60 Beatles CD treated with the same disrespect. “It’s all free. It has no value.”

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]You can make a copy of a CD or DVD. You can’t demand the right to make copies of your friend’s CDs or DVDs.

Tell me just how one can morally demand the right to obtain someone’s property (physical or intellectual) without paying for it?

I had to ask this question of a 50 year old parent yesterday who says the Internet is for downloading music, I am obligated to assist him to do that in every way without charging, and has never even considered the concept of using the Net to enter ‘choke uploads on Kazaa’ into a search engine.

Every day I see this, and then I see my own kids CDRs laying on the floor covered with beer and ashes and I am not surprised at all to see my $60 Beatles CD treated with the same disrespect. “It’s all free. It has no value.”[/quote]

while this makes sense I would rather download the music and if i wish to support the artist goto one of their concerts. Why in the hell would i want to support a large corporation whcih only persues one thing MONEY at the cost of good music. not to mention 15-30 bucks a cd? come on i dont bloody think so, seriously thats overpriced and until they are reasonable i will not pay!

right now this very second I bought blank Media DVD-r, cd-r, and blank VHS tapes I just paid for the right to copy My Music , My TV shows, My Movies. Millions of dollers go to the music and other entertainment industries so that we can copy it. Untill the law changes I will download TV shows And Music. and when the laws change I will go back to Private FTP and newsnetworks and Mirc.

Now lets go back 25 years ago when it was in the court system about Beta and VHS recorders and the right to use them in your homes to record TV shows and Movies, Thank god they The MPAA lost the fight couse if they didnt we would not have VHS players or recorders. explain to me the difference between watching Smallville or any other TV Show recordering it to VHS or Divx or what ever file format you use and downloading it off the net. I hope the Tv networks will say we can make a few dollers here and offer our shows on the net for a few dollers per ep’s.

More and More people are watching movies at home as the price of movies cost a small fortune. I think it will catch on when we will be able to watch movie and TV from the Net.

[quote=“Astrothug”]explain to me the difference between watching Smallville or any other TV Show recordering it to VHS or Divx or what ever file format you use and downloading it off the net. I hope the Tv networks will say we can make a few dollers here and offer our shows on the net for a few dollers per ep’s.

More and More people are watching movies at home as the price of movies cost a small fortune. I think it will catch on when we will be able to watch movie and TV from the Net.[/quote]

its all about distribution… distribution they dont get paid for which means its “money out of their pockets” of course its money they wouldnt have had anyway because if i download a show its either because i missed it on tv or because its more convienient for me to do so.