Christmas cancelled due to lack of interest

How about we just cancel everything. Every celebration, we can all just hide in our houses and never gather as a community for any type of festivals, because money can be spent better elsewhere…

Okay Scrooge, if you wanna ruin Christmas go ahead.

well hopefully this debunks more than a few of the rumours running amok these days

cjfw.ca/News/Story.aspx?ID=1319084

Due to the little diversionary “shopping in Terrace” discussion that sprang up I thought I would make this small observation: the mall in Terrace is virtually empty. I’d say there are actually LESS stores in the Skeena Mall now than in Rupert Square…sure there’s Liquidation World but you can’t count on the selection in there. Sometimes there’s good stuff, the rest of the time it’s people’s unwanted crap.

Yup, there’s ol Big Blue Wally World shining like a beacon from the other side of the town but the only reason to shop there is because they simply have so MUCH!! The prices really aren’t that great and the quality’s not that great but what they have is SELECTION…I mean, at least compared to Zellers, which is all we have here to really compare it with. They’ve renovated the Terrace Canadian Tire yet again so that’s gotta be the one store in general vicinity that’s done that much work to update itself in the last ten years…that place is only, what thirteen years old? And renovated twice in that time?

But I’ll spend my gift money in Cow Bay this year. I’ll send home presents from the Galley or Homework or Salty Crab or even the Source. I’ll give gift certificates from Cowpuccinos and Coastal Nails or the Crest. Terrace has got nothing I need.

[quote=“Uncle Stumbly”]Due to the little diversionary “shopping in Terrace” discussion that sprang up I thought I would make this small observation: the mall in Terrace is virtually empty. I’d say there are actually LESS stores in the Skeena Mall now than in Rupert Square…sure there’s Liquidation World but you can’t count on the selection in there. Sometimes there’s good stuff, the rest of the time it’s people’s unwanted crap.

Yup, there’s ol Big Blue Wally World shining like a beacon from the other side of the town but the only reason to shop there is because they simply have so MUCH!! The prices really aren’t that great and the quality’s not that great but what they have is SELECTION…I mean, at least compared to Zellers, which is all we have here to really compare it with. They’ve renovated the Terrace Canadian Tire yet again so that’s gotta be the one store in general vicinity that’s done that much work to update itself in the last ten years…that place is only, what thirteen years old? And renovated twice in that time?

But I’ll spend my gift money in Cow Bay this year. I’ll send home presents from the Galley or Homework or Salty Crab or even the Source. I’ll give gift certificates from Cowpuccinos and Coastal Nails or the Crest. Terrace has got nothing I need.[/quote]

Lets compare malls:

SKEENA MALL:
A2z Engraving
Athlete’s World
Flowerland
Bootlegger
CJ’s Fashions
Coles Books
Cooks Jewellers
Liquidation World
Northern Reflections
Penningtons
Red Raven Art Gallery
Reitmans
Rickis
Save On Foods
Sheffield Express
Sight & Sound
Terrace Daily News
Tiramisu Salon
4CA Eats & Treats
= 19 total

RUPERT SQUARE:
Archibald Clarke & Defieux Insurance
Athlete’s World
Fields
Home Hardware Building Centre
Marks Work Wearhouse
Mr. Natural
Naomi’s Grill
No. 1 Fast Foods
Please Mum
Quadra Travel
Raven’s Professional Piercings
Reitmans
Royal Bank
Rupert Square Lottery Centre
Royal LePage
Salty Crab
TD Canada Trust
The Source
Warehouse One
Zellers
Zellers Outlet
= 21 total

So based on this Rupert Square has 2 more businesses than Skeena Mall…so yah I guess your right.

Both Malls probably average the same as far as businesses go. It is just that Terrace doesn’t have their Banks or insurance companies and travel agencies leasing space in their Mall as we do and I think that the majority of stores they lost in the Mall they have reopened elsewhere in Terrace ie:Gemmas and the drug store also. When we were there earlier this month they had a new kids clothing store opening in the Mall (forget what it was called but a chain store, I think!). I don’t necessarily like to go there just for the retail therapy, it is just a place to go to get away from here. I don’t believe many of us have the advantage of flying off to Van. or Vic. at a moments notice so that is the only place to go for a day trip, great scenery and some good old junky food ! Speaking of that, Mr.Mikes will be re-opening soon, been under renos.

[quote=“ThePodunkian”]well hopefully this debunks more than a few of the rumours running amok these days

cjfw.ca/News/Story.aspx?ID=1319084[/quote]

Thanks for this.
I am sure it clears up a lot of the rumor.

I think the reason this thread has had a lot of attention is because it brought up the struggle Prince Rupert has been having all year round, and to tie in what is sposta be the most peaceful time of year (Christmas) has a lot of people more upset.
If there is a budget for activities then by all means continue with tradition, but to scamper around for resources when it is limited is quite hard to do (if it were the case), and it would be nice to see a few changes around here is all I was worried over.

Very glad to see Winterfest bigger and brighter!

Very glad to see I was wrong regarding my original post about the sailpast being cancelled. It went off last night as scheduled with nine boats I think? as well as the fireworks, and the bonfire on the waterfront, etc. great job to everyone involved in making this happen, good to see.

its a sign of things to come people… get used to it!!.. there is just no pride and love in this town anymore… Surprised the sail past even was a go… This town will soon have nothing… just like the shopping here and even at Christmas time… NOTHING!!

[quote=“bthedog”]

[quote=“Uncle Stumbly”]Due to the little diversionary “shopping in Terrace” discussion that sprang up I thought I would make this small observation: the mall in Terrace is virtually empty. I’d say there are actually LESS stores in the Skeena Mall now than in Rupert Square…sure there’s Liquidation World but you can’t count on the selection in there. Sometimes there’s good stuff, the rest of the time it’s people’s unwanted crap.

But I’ll spend my gift money in Cow Bay this year. I’ll send home presents from the Galley or Homework or Salty Crab or even the Source. I’ll give gift certificates from Cowpuccinos and Coastal Nails or the Crest. Terrace has got nothing I need.[/quote]

Lets compare malls:

SKEENA MALL:
A2z Engraving
Athlete’s World
Flowerland
Bootlegger
CJ’s Fashions
Coles Books
Cooks Jewellers
Liquidation World
Northern Reflections
Penningtons
Red Raven Art Gallery
Reitmans
Rickis
Save On Foods
Sheffield Express
Sight & Sound
Terrace Daily News
Tiramisu Salon
4CA Eats & Treats
= 19 total

RUPERT SQUARE:
Archibald Clarke & Defieux Insurance
Athlete’s World
Fields
Home Hardware Building Centre
Marks Work Wearhouse
Mr. Natural
Naomi’s Grill
No. 1 Fast Foods
Please Mum
Quadra Travel
Raven’s Professional Piercings
Reitmans
Royal Bank
Rupert Square Lottery Centre
Royal LePage
Salty Crab
TD Canada Trust
The Source
Warehouse One
Zellers
Zellers Outlet
= 21 total

So based on this Rupert Square has 2 more businesses than Skeena Mall…so yah I guess your right.[/quote]

Terrace has a Mall?? really? where?
We have a Mall? i know we have Zellers and even thats the shits… but i never dare walk to the other side

Sometimes I think I am being too tough on this town and go back and take a look around esp at the holidays…
I went today after work and lordie, you really do have to go to Terrace, just reconfirms again that what I have been dping is for the best.
Off to Walmart and the rest of Terrace to finish holiday shopping… This is a great community in a lot of ways but the shopping here is getting nonexistant…

I’m pretty sure christmas is canceled because stores were open on remembrance day.

No that’s what Remembrance Day IS.
“Remember this is the first Shopping Day of the Christmas Season”

You guys are really kidding right? It took me weeks to look in every store that Rupert has to offer and I have to admit, I did find EXCELLENT gifts for everyone in my family.
This is especially true for the Moonlight/Midnight Madness’s that the entire mall likes participating in now… And the Black Friday sale that almost 75% of the stores in town had but nobody knew about…

Keep your eyes & ears open and you’ll learn a lot, got brand name clothing (Ecko, Nike, Adidas, etc) even stuff from the Skateboard stores, Book Stores for great discounts.

That and the store owners are willing to give an extra deal, just need to know how to ask.

Prince Rupert does have adequate shopping, I don’t think you guys are trying hard enough.

Or you’re the type to just browse through something, and when a representative asks if you need help you kindly clean your shoulders off of the question and say no. I saved big money this Christmas and I’m happy I didn’t have the spend the extra $50-100 to travel to Terrace only to make some of the same selections there.

Thanks.

I will say there is some good shopping here, however, if you are a 50-ish woman who would like to dress in attire that suits her age, meaning not skull-laden hoodies etc., then you are out of luck unless you want to pay the exhorbitant prices in the boutique stores that we have left. We are left with Reitmans (OK) and Warehouse One for casual wear but what else is there aside from Sears. I have a friend of the same age who has been searching for a nice pair of black dress pants/jeans forever and no luck. It is very disheartening but I have found good online shopping with The Gap, Old Navy and Banana Republic with great choices and prices also. Delivery and returns are free. I receive my first order today so will see how everything looks ! Just like X-Mas…Yeah !!

Could not agree more. for us close to 50ish men there is not much here either… Marks is a decent store, but this one gets so picked over being the only shop to buy clothing for men my age that I need to go to the one in Terrace. Skull laden Hoodies seem to be a dime a dozen along third these days, but they just dont work for me. lol. I also do a lot of shopping on line, besides Terrace… Things for the home are another tough spot here. even to buy a set of blinds at a decent prices it’s off to Terrace. CDN Tire and Walmart Selections are great, and I enjoy the electronic shopping that Staples and The Computer store can provide. Terrace also has farmers market May-Oct. In a year I will be looking for car and I compared prices in Terrace-Smithers and Rupert and the other two communites have a vast more to offer for anyone in that market… The malls in both towns suck for the most part… I enjoy the new bakery in Terrace, and there are two excellent shoe stores along the main drag that again offer stuff for people my age… I am happy that young people seem to have a good supply of name brands and also the book store here seems decent but I just get more tired of our shops the more I see them… Oh cow bay is nice but for me it’s just too costly and nothing practical down there for me to buy…