Cellphone problems

Anyone else having problems with their cell phone today? I keep getting this error message when I try to open up my cell phone browser…

God Damned shitty west is doing it again.
I am getting repeat text messages from wednesday causing nothing but confusion and techno disgust.
Then to make matters worse the customer service reps at shitty west is atrocious. They have zero conflict resolution skills.
I am constantly in conflict with them.

I had a laugh yesterday. Im talking to my 11yr old on the phone and I have a dropped call. I call her back immediately and she asks why I hung up on her. I told her I would never do that and that it was a result of a dropped call…she says " dad you gotta get away from shitty west"…

No problems with either Telus or Rogers here.

I have been getting mulitiple texts as well, and they are pissing me off!!!

but my phone dropped in a puddle so now it is sitting in a bag of rice…praying it works after!

Try the cat litter stuff - the crystals, they work better than rice.

Also, If you’re having a lot of problems with Citywest and you still stick with them, then the message that Citywest is receiving from you is that you are ok with all the problems. The only message they will get loud and clear is “I’d like to cancel service because it sucks.”

I’m with CityWest…but not for much longer…
I have been barraged with repeat texts from a few days ago. It kind of confuses things when I get a text from someone that I am currently chatting with, but the text I receive is from 3 days ago. VERY irritating. That, and I can’t receive texts that are longer than 140 characters; I usually just get the second part of the message. Oh, AND I typically miss 5-10 texts a day. Other than that the service has been spectacular.

i don’t have a cat…so i don’t have the litter…maybe i’ll check with a friend! thanks! learn something new everyday

and as for the stickin with Citywest, its not that i wanna stay with them it’s because i have a contract with them!!

Anyone using Citywest that are receiving re-occurring text messages? We keep getting the same ol message from the past Saturday.

Somewhat of a longtime reader, first time poster.

As I understand it Citywest uses Bell’s cell network or is part of it or something, and the multiple text issues are nothing new to Bell.
Bells’ SMS servers have problems once in a while…

Doing some online research on this subject, it is not just Citywest/Bell, but happens on other carriers too. SMS is like UDP traffic, it is
best effort delivery, no error correction, no retransmits.

And to Stanley19…dude, read the SMS standard, 140 or so characters is all you can send in a text message. Here is a
link for you to follow:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS#Message_size

I talk to people two or three people in Terrace fairly regularly that have cells on Telus and I can’t tell you how many times I have been talking to
someone and their call drops out or the call quality sucks. Terrace has a lot of holes in their cell coverage. And they have missed text
messages in the past too.

[quote=“capt_caveman”]Somewhat of a longtime reader, first time poster.

As I understand it Citywest uses Bell’s cell network or is part of it or something, and the multiple text issues are nothing new to Bell.
Bells’ SMS servers have problems once in a while…

Doing some online research on this subject, it is not just Citywest/Bell, but happens on other carriers too. SMS is like UDP traffic, it is
best effort delivery, no error correction, no retransmits.

And to Stanley19…dude, read the SMS standard, 140 or so characters is all you can send in a text message. Here is a
link for you to follow:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS#Message_size

I talk to people two or three people in Terrace fairly regularly that have cells on Telus and I can’t tell you how many times I have been talking to
someone and their call drops out or the call quality sucks. Terrace has a lot of holes in their cell coverage. And they have missed text
messages in the past too.[/quote]

I do believe SMS uses the regular data network now… I could be wrong though.

The only problem I’ve been having are I no longer get Picture/Video messages anymore, I can receive and send regular text messages but if it is a picture/vid message I get absolutely nothing, like it gets lost somewhere in the universe! it’s really effing retarded!! I finally brought it to Shittywest’s attention and the lady told me to leave it in her hands to try and figure out and she would phone me that same day, yeah no. Never phoned me to let me know a damn thing but now I have to apparently have a 3 way call with their tech and Bell themselves… What a gong show!

its not just the cell service thats a gong show… I understand mistakes happen but when you are called to come fix them instead of being bitchy maybe just fucking come fix them. Good customer service ya know? apparently not.

Yesterday I had to turn my phone off, I had over 100 texts, all from Monday, when I finally turned the phone back on.

[quote=“capt_caveman”]
Doing some online research on this subject, it is not just Citywest/Bell, but happens on other carriers too. SMS is like UDP traffic, it is best effort delivery, no error correction, no retransmits.[/quote]

You must work at Citywest? That is the standard Citywest response – Citywest sucks as much as other carriers!

[quote]
link for you to follow:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS#Message_size[/quote]

If you’re going to tell someone to read something, you should have the courtesy to read it yourself.

“this leads to the maximum individual Short Message sizes of 160 7-bit characters”

Standard SMS uses 7-bit charaters. So you get 160 characters from 140 bytes. I don’t know about Citywest, but Rogers splits up messages that are larger than 160 characters into multiple texts.

I like this part from the article you linked: “Message delivery is “best effort”, so there are no guarantees that a message will actually be delivered to its recipient, but delay or complete loss of a message is uncommon.” Unless you’re a Citywest customer, that is.

I love that you think that people should read a technical spec before sending a text message as well.

I hear Citywest is now offering local phone service in Terrace and Kitimat? Is that true? Are they allowing people who switch to keep their existing phone numbers?

“Best Effort” delivery for a service that Citywest said that nobody in Prince Rupert wanted anyway? Sounds about right.

Capt_caveman is somewhat right though. You’ll encounter problems with any provider you switch to. I’ve heard HORRIBLE things about Rogers from people using it down south. And I’m sure you’d hear equally bad things about Bell and Telus. They’re big corporations, they don’t care whether you use their service or not, they’ve got millions of other customers that are willing to pay for it.

What bothers me is. We don’t have much choice in telephone and cable service. Citywest seems to know that and act upon it. Lack of options shouldn’t be an excuse for sub par service. But honestly, they make all of the same excuses that other companies make. It’s not about service anymore, it’s all about $$$…

Doesn’t Citywest support delivery reports? On my cheap phone, i can just set the delivery report on and it will let me know when a text message is actually delivered. Don’t Citywest phones do this too? Or is it another one of those things that they asked around town and didn’t think anybody wanted it?

I tested it with a friend - turn off her phone and send her a text. No delivery report. Wait a few minutes and turn on her phone and she receives the text. Then it sends me back a delivery report saying it was delivered successfully.