Cel phone question

I’d use a Blackberry for sure if we could get the service here. 

One thing that citywest, and Telus should consider is the growth potential of doing an extended calling area.  About 7 years ago one of the outlying communities I lived in planned, was applying with Telus for an extended calling area, we were at the final stage, when Telus indicated that they were applying to have an extended calling area for the North, much like the lower mainland.

Unfortunately, the CRTC changed the criteria for such an extended calling area.  In the past if one community wanted to join with another calling area, all that was needed was a plebiscite.  A calling area would allow citizens to make the request, now the request has to be made by village, or city councils.  The political will of doing so, especially with Prince Rupert and Citywest , would be impossible now with the conflict of a city owned Telephone company.

I could see great benefits, but now I think it would also block other telephone companies from entering the service area.  I had emailed Skeena Queen Charlotte regional district with no response, Kitimat-Stikine Regional District indicated that they would examine the potential, but that was two years ago.

So this might help clear up the question as to whether Blackberry service will ever arrive here.

I was trolling the job boards at the BC govt site and found a job posting for something called a Northern Gateway Regional Project Manager, all tied in to creating economic development from the soon to open container port.

Anyways, one of the main tasks of this lucky job recipient will be “to assess issues and develop a business case analysis into providing blackberry service to the area”.

There’s much more and it makes for interesting reading as to what they might wish to develop here in sleepy hollow.

Check out the job page at the gov.bc site Here:

employment.gov.bc.ca/attached_fi … 3_3242.pdf

At any rate, to answer the original question it seems that yes, eventually we will be seeing the blackberry craze arrive…   

Of course if the gov’t is involved that might delay things just a wee bit eh! :unamused:

I heard that Telus has a roaming agreement with CityWest. Apparently my Telus package is still totally valid in Rupert, rather than getting changed by the minute on a roaming rate.

I run a Telus phone as I spend most of my time in BC and Alberta. I usually end up in Rupert for 2 months total out of the year, and although I’m not the biggest cell user, my bills never seem that high, for what I expected would be roaming in Rupert.

It’s strange… my Telus voicemail works in Rupert, but it won’t indicate that I have messages waiting. I have to check it manually. However, if I get a voicemail out in Port Ed, it alerts me. Does Telus supply Port Ed, or something?

Analog should work all of the continent, I thought?

And if you truly need only emergency services, a de-activated cell phone still calls 911. Find a $5 beefy old school Motorola analog phone, with a car charger, and put that in your glove box. Those things have amazing range–I was able to pick up spotty CityTel service from the Queen Charlotte Islands!

[quote=“rangerwreck”]
It’s strange… my Telus voicemail works in Rupert, but it won’t indicate that I have messages waiting. I have to check it manually. However, if I get a voicemail out in Port Ed, it alerts me. Does Telus supply Port Ed, or something?[/quote]

I know Port Ed used to be Telus. I’m not 100% sure if they still are or not.

For those apple types waiting for the latest toy a little bad news, Apple won’t be introducing the iPhone into Canada anytime soon.

And apparently when they do, it will be with an exclusive deal with Rogers…

tinyurl.com/2uvdzc

Guess ya’ll had best hope Rogers heads our way by then… :unamused: