Capsizing of the FV Pacific Siren

First off before anything I would like to thank those who have helped myself, my crew and there families get through this horrible ordeal. Now to the reason for this post; I would like to set the record straight on all the details that need to be said. Being a fisherman all my life, actually growing up on vancouver island but spending every summer in PR since the age of 9, I’ve always thought of PR as the birthplace of the commercial fishing industry. Moving up here in 96 at the age of 19 when I met my future wife, Rupert was a proud, thriving community, full of great people that wished nothing but the best for the next person. It kills me to hear all the bs surrounding our near death experience. First off I did NOT have insurance for the first time in the 8 years I owned the Siren and NO this was not an insurance scam nor a publicity stunt. Two months before the start of the prawn season I started rebuilding my main engine, freezer system, wiring, and cosmetics. A few hiccups with wrong parts, lengthly delivery times of parts and oversights the scheduled one month rebuild turned into two. I was in the process of switching insurance carriers to drop my premiums from 4k per year to 1200. However I needed to do a few extra mods not required by my original carrier. The one I had left was adding a belt driven bilge pump off the main engine (which I still have in my locker) to the boat. By the time the main engine was finished the six week prawn season was already 4 days in. So being as I couldn’t get the mounts made for this pump without the main engine in place, I couldn’t finalise with mutual marine for the insurance so I opted to leave without insurance. Had I stayed in port and did the pump and got the boat resurveyed, i would have missed a minimum of 7 more days. I put 100k into the boat this year so you can imagine the stress. Looking back now I still would have done the same thing as a roll over is never anticipated. Was the Siren unsafe or unsuitable, absolutely not. Mechanically and legally she had more safety equipment, electronics and a maintenance history, of most boats around.

For those of you who have voiced publically that this was a hoax or an act of desparation to collect the insurance money or to get publicity, at least get your facts straight before you go voicing bullshit! I don’t expect any replies to this, I just had to get this off my chest.

Thanks Dave Martynuik

I can’t imagine anything more terrifying. We are also not from here and really notice that Rupert folks spend much too much time talking & critisizing people without getting the facts. It’s sad really. Sad people with sad lives. They are to be pittied although that doesn’t help the ‘victims’ feel any better.

I wasn’t clear if you lost your boat, or if it is damaged but either way, it is good you are okay. All the best.

[quote=“kbrentzen”]We are also not from here and really notice that Rupert folks spend much too much time talking & critisizing people without getting the facts. It’s sad really. Sad people with sad lives. They are to be pittied although that doesn’t help the ‘victims’ feel any better.
[/quote]

Ahem…not all Rupert people are negative and critical of others. This is pretty-much troll bait. I will concede that some people in PR are negative, but, that can be said for any location in BC.

To the original poster: I hope that things work out well for you, man! I am sad to hear that you went through this terrifying ordeal.

[quote=“kbrentzen”]I can’t imagine anything more terrifying. We are also not from here and really notice that Rupert folks spend much too much time talking & critisizing people without getting the facts. It’s sad really. Sad people with sad lives. They are to be pittied although that doesn’t help the ‘victims’ feel any better.

I wasn’t clear if you lost your boat, or if it is damaged but either way, it is good you are okay. All the best.[/quote]

Unfortunately, you are right. I am a resident of this town, for the last 13 years and it has always saddened me the way Rupertites thrive on gossip and other peoples misfortune. I, myself, have been a victim of lies and gossip but certainly not to the extreme many others have, It hurts all the same as I am not very thick-skinned. I wish you all the best Dave, I am sorry that you and your family were placed in such a horrible position after all you had been through and I thank you for “venting” on our site! Many of us appreciate HTMF for allowing us that opportunity.

Some of us don’t know the players, and the news distribution in this town is diplorable so I know nothing more than what was written here.

Care to share the rest of the story??? Were you on the boat when it went down?

Ahem…not all Rupert people are negative and critical of others. This is pretty-much troll bait. I will concede that some people in PR are negative, but, that can be said for any location in BC.

To the original poster: I hope that things work out well for you, man! I am sad to hear that you went through this terrifying ordeal.[/quote]

Yes Hitest, you are right. There are many wonderful people here … friends we will have long after we’ve moved away. Coming from a large city, we never saw the crap except in newspapers. As with living in a city, you keep your circle of people to those who aren’t habitually negative or gossipers - those who make you smile. My earlier comment - I shouldn’t have been quite so blunt.

No worries, mate. :smile:
I just did not want this thread to degenerate into a flame festival. A very good thread.

Here’s the two links from CTV on Dave and his crew’s story.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120518/bc_stranded_fishermen_hecate_strait_120518/20120519/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120521/bc_rescued_fishermen_exclusive_120521/20120522/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

People always have to talk crap , its just the way it is. Most of us veterans know that you wouldn’t wind up eating seaweed and clams for ten days if you planned it.