Canadian DMCA - A Betrayal

very sad; thank god i use beyond TV, it does not use the flag system like media center  :smiley:

Well doesn’t make you a criminal though?

Globe and mail article

theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ … ology/home

michaelgeist.ca/content/view/3054/125/

[quote]Thank you for sharing your concern over Bill C-61, An Act to amend the Copyright Act.

The NDP is strongly opposed to this bill and we are calling on MPs from other parties to listen to their constituents and join us in the growing chorus against it.  Rather, we are pushing for legislation that will ensure that artists and creators are compensated for their work but that also ensures consumers are able to enjoy reasonable rights of access.

Over the past two years we have urged the government to consult with stakeholders and develop legislation that would protect artists, innovators and consumers in the 21st century. Unfortunately, the government has completely ignored calls to bring forward reasonable copyright legislation. In fact, this bill is worse than originally feared.  There is no evidence of an attempt to strike any reasonable balance that would protect either artists or consumers. Instead, we are faced with a full capitulation to the U.S. corporate lobby that will pave the way for the criminalization of perfectly reasonable behaviour (like format shifting of most legally purchased content).

What can you do? If you haven’t already, contact the Ministers of Industry and Heritage, the Prime Minister, the leaders of the other opposition parties, and your local MP to tell them that you oppose this piece of legislation. Encourage your friends and families to do the same. For contact information, please visit: parl.gc.ca/common/index.asp?Language=E. Your participation will be important to making the opposition to this bill impossible to ignore.

Again, I appreciate the time you have taken to register your views and concerns about this important issue. Feel free to pass along my email to anyone who may be interested. All the best.

Sincerely,

Jack Layton, MP (Toronto-Danforth)
Leader, Canada’s New Democrats[/quote]

I’ve written to Nathan Cullen, but have not yet received a response.

Search Engine interview with Jim Prentice:

cbc.ca/searchengine/blog/200 … _sear.html

He hangs up just as the hard questions are asked.

(link works now)

I read that but the link don’t work you gave MiG

cbc.ca/searchengine/blog/200 … _sear.html

Works now, I left off the final ‘l’

there’s no decency, I’ve just finished listening to the phone call between Prentice and Jesse, and man oh man!

I can’t believe even he was like “blah blah blah nice speaking with you I love you!” (joke btw)

then he hangs up on him!

I believe Prentice knew that the particular question of who was going to enforce the new bill or law? if the bill passes it’s law right?

well anyways, I think Prentice knew that was coming up so he had to end the call! :smile:

I’m guessing the process of the bill (like the stage that it’s currently in) is far too “Technical” for us Canadians Eh?

or is it possible to see the current stage?
closed doors?

I sent Nathan Cullen a form letter from the Internet, with a CC to Jim Prentice:

[quote]
Dear Sir,

I’m a constituent who has been following recent developments in Canadian copyright law. I’m concerned that the Copyright bill presented by the government on June 12th goes too far in outlawing the lawful use of copyrighted material, and does not take into account the needs of consumers and Canada’s creative community who are exploiting the potential of digital technology.  I’m disappointed that this bill adopts an American approach to digital copyright laws, instead of crafting a Canadian approach.

Canada’s copyright laws need to advance Canada’s interests.  This means copyright laws that respect ordinary consumer practices, such as unlocking cell phones and copying the contents of purchased DVDs for use in video iPods.  The current bill outlaws these practices.
This means copyright that facilitates the work of Canadian creators, such as documentary filmmakers, who instead find that this bill outlaws the use DVDs as source materials for their films.  This means we find made-in-Canada solutions to the challenges of file-sharing, such as consideration of the P2P proposal of the Songwriters Association of Canada.  Instead, this bill paves the road to importing the consumer file-sharing lawsuit strategy that has failed so spectacularly in the United States.  Canada deserves better.

Please ensure that this bill really is made for Canadians by allowing all Canadian stakeholders a say in its final contents. That means meaningful consultation in the coming months, and opening up Canada’s copyright policy to more than just the special interests that lobbied behind the scenes for this law. As my MP, I urge you to represent my interests in the copyright debate.

Sincerely,

Steve Eso[/quote]

And I got a reply!

[quote]
The Government of Canada has introduced Bill C-61 (An Act to Amend the Copyright Act).  The proposed legislation is a made-in-Canada approach that balances the needs of Canadian consumers and copyright owners, promoting culture, innovation and competition in the digital age.

What does Bill C-61 mean to Canadians?
Specifically, it includes measures that would:

*       expressly allow you to record TV shows for later viewing; copy legally purchased music onto other devices, such as MP3 players or cell phones; make back-up copies of legally purchased books, newspapers, videocassettes and photographs onto devices you own; and limit the “statutory damages” a court could award for all private use copyright infringements;

*       implement new rights and protections for copyright holders, tailored to the Internet, to encourage participation in the online economy, as well as stronger legal remedies to address Internet piracy

*       clarify the roles and responsibilities of Internet Service Providers related to the copyright content flowing over their network facilities

*       provide photographers with the same rights as other creators

What Bill C-61 does not do:

*       it would not empower border agents to seize your iPod or laptop at border crossings, contrary to recent public speculation

What this Bill is not:

*       it is not a mirror image of U.S. copyright laws. Our Bill is made-in-Canada with different exceptions for educators, consumers and others and brings us into line with more than 60 countries including Japan, France, Germany and Australia

Bill C-61 was introduced in the Commons on June 12, 2008 by Industry Minister Jim Prentice and Heritage Minister Josée Verner.

For more information, please visit the Copyright Reform Process website at www.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/crp-prda.nsf/en/home

Thank you for sharing your views on this important matter.

The Honourable Josée Verner
Minister of Canadian Heritage, Status of Women and Official Languages and Minister for La Francophonie

The Honourable Jim Prentice
Minister of Industry[/quote]

I think I’m going to print out that reply and use it for toilet paper. At least then it would be useful for something.

I like how they spin it.

The law allows you to do the following:  a,b,c,d,e,f and g.  Unless there’s DRM or any anti-copy stuff, like a no-copy flag on a broadcast, or a CSS-encrypted DVD (hint: all DVD are encrypted).  Then you have no rights, and if you exercise any of a,b,c,d,e,f or g, you’ll have a criminal record.

If you listen to the interview, you’ll hear how Prentice really skirted that.  Same with the exchange in question period yesterday.

He constantly says “you’ll now be able to back up your movies and songs.”  Well, you were always able to do that.  Now you won’t be able to circumvent anti-copy, so there’s no way to copy a DVD you bought onto your iPod without being a criminal.  There’s no way to watch a DVD you just bought on a Linux box without being a criminal.  There’s no way to listen to a Sony CD on a non-windows machine without being a criminal.

In fact, if you listen to a Sony CD on a Windows machine (by holding down the shift key to by-pass the anti-copy bullshit), then you’re a criminal.

No mention of DVDs.  You can record TV shows for later viewing only.  You can’t record them to take on a roadtrip, you can’t keep more than one episode of a tv series.  You can’t do anything whatsoever if there’s any sort of lock (even something as simple as the shift key thing on Sony CDs), then you’re a criminal if you make a backup copy.

And “limit statutory damages”?  As if that’s the real problem?  Who cares if they’re limiting fines, they’re giving you a CRIMINAL record.

Such bullshit.

On another issue, Nathan Cullen has yet to respond to my e-mail.  Anybody else get a response from him?

Making an unauthorized copy of his copyrighted words?

That’s a tazin’!

Don’t Taze Me Bro! :smile:

//

Heh, I turned on Azureus (Torrent Java-Based Client) and was instantly bombarded with attacks from Safenet Inc and MediaSentry.

I didn’t even turn a download on, I think it was just because I was logged into the Azureus Distributed Database, the port they were using was the standard Bitorrent Port (6882 & 6881)
I know they can go from like (6880-688*) but those two ports were the only ones attacking my IP Filters heh :smiley: have they already started “Watching”?

it sucks that they’re bombarding the BitTorrent network when the network could be used for legal purposes, such as - Small time companies use the BitTorrent network to distribute their work.

for instance - Azureus (now known as Vuze) distributes 100% Legal (I think?) media such as Music Videos and Small Length Movies… :smile:

An interesting read on what to expect…

excesscopyright.blogspot.com/200 … ching.html

I especially like this entry…

[quote]I am a small business owner in the UK and I have just received such a demand fromthe mighty Getty Images!!! demanding imediate payment by bank transfer. This alerted me straight away to other discrepencies in the letter of demand. The post code is nearly the same as Getty Images but not quite, the number on the address is not quite a match either, the VAT Reg is for an Irish company, the bank address is in a totoly different part of the UK than the supposed registered office and the telephone number is one digit off that of Getty Images. Is thi similar to letters received in Canada?

When I checked I did indeed have an image that was on the Getty Images books but when I found this image on the internet it did not make any ref to Getty Images at all. Naturally I was worried when I received my letter but having read your blog I can see now that either Getty Images are trying it o with me or someone has formed a crude scam.[/quote]

Where does it end?

Got a reply from Cullen’s crew, now:

[quote]Dear Steve,

Thank you for writing to express your concerns about the new copyright bill, C-61.  For the last two years the NDP has been warning the government not to attempt to bring forward restrictive U.S.-style DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) legislation. We urged them to consult with stakeholders and develop legislation that would protect artists, innovators and consumers in the 21st century.

Unfortunately, the government has completely ignored calls to bring forward reasonable copyright legislation. In fact, this bill is worse than originally feared.  There is no evidence of an attempt to strike any reasonable balance that would protect either artists or consumers. Instead, we are faced with a full capitulation to the U.S. corporate lobby that will pave the way for the criminalization of perfectly reasonable behaviour (like format shifting of most legally purchased content).

Across the country, people like you are coming together to oppose this legislation. They are voicing their concerns with the legislation by writing elected officials, by posting comments on web-pages dedicated to the copyright discussion, and by writing letters-to-the-editor that call for a truly balanced approach.  Thank you for being among them.

My New Democrat colleagues and I are strongly opposed to this bill and we are calling on MPs from other parties to listen to their constituents and join us in the growing chorus against it.  We are pushing for legislation that will ensure that artists and creators are compensated for their work but that also ensures consumers are able to enjoy reasonable rights of access.

I would strongly encourage you to stay active in this fight by putting the heat on the Ministers of Industry and Heritage, the Prime Minister, and the leaders of the other opposition parties.  Whether you call, write, email, or all of the above, your participation will be important to making our opposition to this bill impossible to ignore.

Thank you again for getting involved.

All the best,

Nathan Cullen, MP
Skeena-Bulkley Valley

cc. Charlie Angus, MP (NDP Spokesman for Digital Issues)[/quote]

Yeah we got that reply today as well.

Yeah, I got the same kind of reply as well.

Have you guys been reading some of the stuff Charlie Angus has been writing and saying?  That guy is awesome.