Canada's aging population stats

I just read an interesting article in MoneySense Magazine about Canada’s aging population. 
Statistics Canada is predicting that in 8 years, there will be more Canadian 65 or older, then there are aged 15 and younger.  The average Canadian family has 1.5 children.  Canada’s population growth is only 1% a year.  (2/3’s of that comes immigration, not babies!)  Right now there are 5 working people for every senior, within 25 years there will be 2.5 working people for every senoir.  The whole point of the article is (other than to scare you) is to make you aware that government needs to do more to encourage families to have more kids via tax-cuts and affordable programs.  We can all forget about nice social programs when we reach 65 if these trends are not changed. 

Sweet. What a wonderful way to brighten my Sunday. hehe. O.o

Distressing trend, indeed.

If the cost of living wasnt so high im pretty sure those trends would change.

If you look at inflation rates over the last three or four hundred years you should notice that apart from war years, inflation was  non-existant in western economies until the baby boomers entered the economy in the 1950’s.  Inflation continued to sky rocket throughout the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and the 21st century as boomers became more affluent and more materialistic.  The fact that these boomers are finally entering their retirement years is actually good news for our children and grandchildren.  Shorter work weeks will return, taxes will be lower,  single income families will make a come back, affordable homes will be more available.
Economist who claim that we need to start breeding faster are probably boomers who want to have their high standards of living maintained by others until the day they pass.

[quote=“POOPEDMAN”]
If you look at inflation rates over the last three or four hundred years you should notice that apart from war years, inflation was  non-existant in western economies until the baby boomers entered the economy in the 1950’s.  [/quote]

This is, on its face, totally false.

And so are the conclusions you derive from it.

You need to purchase a first year economics text before you make statements of what is false.

Here’s the first economics text that I could find:

greenwood.com/catalog/C4416.aspx

Check the table of contents and again restate that “inflation was  non-existant in western economies until the baby boomers.”

You’re wrong, plain and simple.  There are lots of cases of inflation long before the baby boomers.

For example: “The Inflation of Prices in England, 1551-1650”  from tinyurl.com/2u5xne

or “Causes and Progress of Inflation” from tinyurl.com/2rglnh

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.  You lose.

During the years of England’s inflation you mentioned, England fought three of it’s own wars,  Anglo-Spanish 1585 to 1604, England-Scotland 1639 to 1640, and the English Civil War 1642-1659, In addition to England’s own wars there was the Italian Wars 1511 to 1559, and the eighty year war 1568-1648 going on in Europe.  There was no shortage of wars in Europe to drive up inflation.

As far as the American period of inflation consider the American Spanish War 1898 to 1902, Boxer (China) revolution 1894 to 1900 and numerous invasions of Central American countries between 1901 and 1914 while building and protecting the Panama Canal.

I stated that “apart from war years” inflation was non-existent. so you have simply confirmed what I said in the first place.

Consider a quote “Thus 125 + years of near NIL inflation…but in the past 75+ years…the CPI took off inflating prices more than 1000 times higher”

mwhodges.home.att.net/inflation.htm

So I guess you really believe that the single largest consumer group in the worlds history has had no affect on marketing, pricing and therefore the super inflation we have experienced over the last 60 years (since WW II which drove up inflation by itself).
Very interesting.

I think there are strategies that the government can implement even before tackling inflation.  First, not mentioned in the article noted above, but I think it’s important:  the government should continue to encourage immigration.  (Currently they make two-thirds of our 1% growth, they are important.)  Second, and this was mentioned in the above article, government should follow the lead of France, for example.  In France you are allowed to income split (say you earn $80,000, your partner stays at home with the children, you can split your income for tax purposes).  On paper it would look like you earn $40,000 and your partner earns $40,000.  Not only that but you can split it with your children.  If you have 2 children (they count as one adult), you could now split that $80,000 three ways, thus reducing your tax bracket further.  On top of that they provide large family cards that give similar discounts as our old age cards.  Interesting stuff and it will be even more interesting to see how our government deals with this issue, if they indeed do.  I see a pattern with France now that I read this and watched Sicko – seems like they are a very progressive country.

I still think this is bullshit.

But your qualification “apart from war years” is like saying “apart from when the sky was blue.”  Otherwise, you’ll have to discount the post-war baby-boomer caused inflation because of the Cold War and all the other little conflicts and proxy wars.

No, I didn’t say that at all.  I think that’s pretty accurate.  I just think you’re wrong about there being no inflation before baby boomers.

You can find a lot of examples of inflation that makes this statement of yours inaccurate:

How about the Dutch Tulip Bubble?  How about the Spanish silver period?  Or the inflation caused by the spice trade?

You’re basically saying that the only inflation that ever happened was because of war, or because of the baby boomers.  And that’s just wrong.

Wow that strikes me as odd. Where I live there are so many kids having kids! Wonder if the substance abuse plays a part as some side affects include infertility and so forth? Totally agree with your last statement! Look at the great child tax benefit a quick and tricky maneuver by our federal government to cut costs in the area of child care making it harder for parents to find affordable child care!