Can the Premier buy his way back to popularity?

On a night when baseball’s World Series made its 2010 debut, Premier Gordon Campbell stepped up to the political plate to take a few swings of his own.

While in the batters box on Wednesday, the Premier hit a few foul balls, had a few swings and a miss and delivered one or two solid grounders, though by the end of his session he never really delivered the home run that many suggested he needed to bring to the nights political address.

(from the blog a town called podunk, click on the link below to see the entire item atowncalledpodunk.blogspot.com/2 … ck-to.html)

Clearly this is a bribe and while I am happy to take some of the bribe money, it doesn’t change anything. This government has lied to the people for ten years, starting with “we will not sell BC Rail”, “we will not rip up contracts”, “the HST is not on our radar”, “we are doing this for BC not our corporate friends”, “we had nothing to do with the BC Rail plea bargain”.

But we are being tricked when he says this is a tax cut for the middle class. Remember, the tax cut is on the first $72,000. That means everybody will benefit. The people making more that 72,000 will get the full benefit while the people making less than 72,000 get only some fraction of the full benefit. If he had announced a larger tax break on the first 72,000 and then to pay for it (and the programs that will be cut as a result of the lost $1/2B) there would be an increase in taxes on amounts over 72,000 then we could say it was a tax cut to help lower/middle earners. As it is most of the tax savings will go to the wealthiest people.

I just hope that Pete Townsend is right. “We Won’t Get Fooled Again”

[quote=“DWhite”]
I just hope that Pete Townsend is right. “We Won’t Get Fooled Again”[/quote]

That is my hope as well, DWhite. I hope the NDP does a good job with keeping the misdeeds of the Liberals alive in 2013. BC voters seem to have a short memory.

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“DWhite”]
I just hope that Pete Townsend is right. “We Won’t Get Fooled Again”[/quote]

That is my hope as well, DWhite. I hope the NDP does a good job with keeping the misdeeds of the Liberals alive in 2013. BC voters seem to have a short memory.[/quote]

Well said. The B.C. voters must be forgetting the 1990’s when our provincial credit rating was in the dumps.They also must be forgetting the same 10 years when it wasn’t uncommon for government to bale out industry.

Just goes to show you can put a spin on pretty well anything in politics.

As a side note, Rupert residents better wear their sun block. It’s gonna’ be a sunny one.

the Premier was popular ??????

This from an online interview with our new HST point guy and gary mason of the globe and mail theglobeandmail.com/news/nat … le1775514/

10:53 [Comment From Gary Mason: ]
Given comments this week by cabinet minister Bill Bennett about not being consulted by the premier enough, I’m wondeirng if Mr. Les can say whether this tax cut was something that was debated by the caucus? Or was the Liberal caucus or cabinet even consulted on this announcement?
Thursday October 28, 2010 10:53 Gary Mason

10:54 John Les:
This was the Premier’s decision and I support it 100%

Add the fact that the premier shuffled his cabinet on Monday including a change in the ministry of education. In Wednesday speech, he includes some vague notion of improving grade four test scores without specifying how. Did the new minister of education have any say?

Is the government a one man show now? Seriously, how can this guy have even a 9% approval rating?

Well after getting to know John Les through my years in the local politics , I would say that it would be surprising to see John get a much higher rating then 9% . Gordo just did not seem to have much honesty to his face last evening .

So who the hell does he think he is cutting taxes without consulting us first?