C.N and Graham

Has anyone heard ,that due to the noise at night with the trains coming into rail yard below town ,this facility will no longer be used? Is it true? petra

Who cares the trains where there well before any snobs on graham were there.

People on Graham need to get over the fact that there are whistles, thats the sound of money in this community. Its for safety reasons they blow it and they do it all along the CN line, from here to all across Canada, and there are alot of small towns and individual places along the line. Do they not want a container facility in this town. The line was there before their houses were even built so they new there were train tracks when they bought on Graham. SO QUIT WHINING !!!

I don’t think the initial rumor is true, but to be fair the vast majority of train crossings use gates and lights now so that no whistle has to be blown.

LMAO, I have an aunt that signs all her picture comments, wall posts and I thinks this is very funny!!
Even though it sounds like whining and complaining, coming from the more fortunate people of our city, I do think the land the railyard is on could be better used by the city and or other investors.

Next the people on Graham will try shutting down the foghorns on ships in the harbour.

I dont live on graham and I think the noise is excessive.

BOOHOOHOO !!! Its a CN rule it goes on all over the country. Its for SAFETY. People get killed my trains every year, because they were on the tracks. Most of the time its at night when someone is killed.

tell the police to give them a 100 doller fine every nite, they can afford it. The cops are giving 100 dollar fine’s away like candy anyway

For a generous handful of years, we lived within a two block distance of an uncontrolled (ie whistle blowing) railroad crossing. Six trains a day minimum, usually 100 car coal trains so the stopping distance was considerable and the whistles were long. It drove me a little nuts at first but then I had no trouble sleeping through them after a few weeks.

The fact that every full train going past my location meant more
money coming into the valley’s economy kinda helped me over hating the sound. I suggest earplugs for those bothered by the noise if turnarounds are keeping them awake at nights. Controlled crossings cost a lot but earplugs? Not so much…

I personally love hearing the train and ship sounds, very soothing. Although I would classify myself as a nut.
What a silly topic though… just wanted to put my support out for the sound of nostalgia!

What an interesting commentary on Prince Rupert this thread provides.

Instead of comments from the community looking at an issue and saying how can we make our town a better place to live, the comments are all in favour of maintaining the status quo as long as it makes those “Snobs” on Graham suffer. The fact that the noise carries much further than Graham and affects other parts of the community is conveniently overlooked.

Then there is the wonderful argument, “Those Whistles are the sound of money” but then similar things were said of all forms of pollution especially where industrial and residential lands are in close proximity. Surely, with the money that CN is making off this port, a few controlled rail crossings is not too much to ask of a good corporate citizen?

This issue was floated at City Council a few years ago and I seem to recall the City Adminstrator was to come back to council with the results of research into the issue and how to move ahead with requesting CN install controlled crossings. From my recollection, the solution may be as simple as showing leadership by putting in noise bylaws to address the issue.

Does anyone know where this ended up?

This is certainly not solely a Rupert Issue and for more information on best practices may be, see the following link proximityissues.ca/english/M … es_eng.pdf . The following paragraph appears on the bottom of Page 6 which reinforces the need for strong municipal leadership where significant rail expansions take place as with the Container Port.

No one is talking about shutting down the rail but most progressive municipalities seek to balance industrial activity with all other community stakeholders. Then again the operative word is progressive so maybe the residents of Graham need to take their lessons from Oona River.

Let’s see, the last time I saw a controlled crossing installed in a municipality, it cost the city in question $100,000.

Better start fundraising and looking into grants now if y’all are serious about dealing with noise issues because it’s unlikely you’ll be getting one for free. Or perhaps you think Rupert will be made an exception even when the crossings in question are not heavy usage? Good luck with that…

Oh don’t worry, the last time I saw a controlled crossing installed in a municipality, CN paid the city 2 million dollars as a gift.

Cool! You should get as many crossings done as possible and pay down the city’s debt at the same time!

wonder if the train hitting the car today will change any of this debate???

I noticed this topic somewhere else, but when I went to look again it was gone.

I used to live on Atlin Ave., and since the container port opened the ‘whistles’ from CN locomotives increased greatly in frequency…night shift at the port, shuttling cars for the grain and coal port…maybe…who knows. It wasn’t a simple case of putting ear plugs in. After a while your brain expects to be awoken by this and and the good old subconscience locks onto it creating much frustration, anger, and sleep-deprivation. I find it quite sad, really, that people that have replied to this have had a mostly negative reaction. There happens to be a shitload of taxpaying residents on Graham and Atlin and any other street in town that this noise affects and they shouldn’t be put down because of CN’s excessive use of the horns when there has to be a reasonable solution.
If this noise was in your 'hood you’d be pissed too.
You should be supporting people with this issue…your neighbors…instead of shitting on them.
Assholes!!!

[quote=“Bbop”]I used to live on Atlin Ave., and since the container port opened the ‘whistles’ from CN locomotives increased greatly in frequency…night shift at the port, shuttling cars for the grain and coal port…maybe…who knows. It wasn’t a simple case of putting ear plugs in. After a while your brain expects to be awoken by this and and the good old subconscience locks onto it creating much frustration, anger, and sleep-deprivation. I find it quite sad, really, that people that have replied to this have had a mostly negative reaction. There happens to be a shitload of taxpaying residents on Graham and Atlin and any other street in town that this noise affects and they shouldn’t be put down because of CN’s excessive use of the horns when there has to be a reasonable solution.
If this noise was in your 'hood you’d be pissed too.
You should be supporting people with this issue…your neighbors…instead of shitting on them.
Assholes!!![/quote]

Whine Whine whine. You dont want to hear industrial noise dont live near a large shipping yard. Do you complain about the smell of fish in teh summer too? I bet you do. Go move into the sticks if you dont want any noise or buy better windows/insulation you cheap ass.

[quote=“Speakuppr”]What an interesting commentary on Prince Rupert this thread provides.

Instead of comments from the community looking at an issue and saying how can we make our town a better place to live, the comments are all in favour of maintaining the status quo as long as it makes those “Snobs” on Graham suffer. The fact that the noise carries much further than Graham and affects other parts of the community is conveniently overlooked.

No one is talking about shutting down the rail but most progressive municipalities seek to balance industrial activity with all other community stakeholders. Then again the operative word is progressive so maybe the residents of Graham need to take their lessons from Oona River.[/quote]

So you’re suggesting I gather that the Graham Ave Residents should launch a blockade? Cause that’s always a helpful way to settle a dispute. I can see it now, everyone piling into the SUV’s to shut down the railroad, should be quite the thing, hope nobody ruins their shoes in the mud.