Boot Floppy?

Anyone know of a boot floppy that will read/write NTFS and read USB? For dead laptops with bad CDs, that won’t boot from USB.
I have a DOS boot that will read NTFS, another that will read/write NTFS and another that will read a USB CDROM (but not a flash drive). Trying to repair XP from a laptop with a bad CDROM for a week now.
XP setup will not run from DOS.
Can’t copy the i386 to the C: drive.
Stuck.

I’m no computer expert, but would knoppix do what you’re looking for?

knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Mike

The CD doesn’t work… or I’d use BART

You should be able to use XP setup floppies. I’m pretty sure it’ll be able to use the usb CD-Rom, but I wasn’t sure from your question what hardware was working.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310994

Hope this helps.

And bootdisk.com/ of course…

bootdisk.com has a decent one with choices, but only NTFSread. I made three sets of the XP 6 disk set and booted and rebooted until I came up with 6 in a row that could be read and it worked.
Death to floppies!

For Herbie

DOS USB Drivers

There are several ways folks are getting their USB CDroms, Hard Drives, and other drives to work in DOS. One is using what’s known as DUSE driver system. The second method is using what looks somewhat like standard CDrom driver files and a USB driver. Both methods appear to require loading an usbaspiX.sys file first in config.sys in most cases. The third method is a bootdisk from a USB vendor. Method 4 is getting good reviews also.

METHOD 1 - The DUSE System

Example 1 Using DUSE

[config.sys]
device=a:\himem.sys
devicehigh=a:\emm386.exe
device=a:\usbaspi.sys
dos=high,umb

[autoexec.bat]
@echo off
duseldr a:\duse.exe
MSCDEX /D:USBCDROM /S /M:15 /V

Example 2 Using DUSE

[config.sys]
device=a:\himem.sys
DEVICE=a:\duse.exe

[autoexec.bat]
MSCDEX /D:USBCDROM /S /M:15 /V

METHOD 2 - The usbaspi.sys/usbcd.sys System - Example 1

As noted, this method seems just like loading IDE drivers, with the added entry of the usbaspiX file. The following are the relevant portions taken from a modified config.sys and autoexec.bat file which was designed to work with a Windows 98 OEM Bootdisk with the ramdrive.

The complete config.sys and autoexec.bat replacement files are available for download below, and you might want to start first with just copying them to your OEM bootdisk along with the relevant drivers and then experiment later with getting them to work on your Customized disk.

[config.sys - example 1]
device=himem.sys /testmem:off
device=usbaspiX.sys
device=usbcdX.sys /D:mscd001

[config.sys example 2 - USB Floppy in only port, “sometimes” allows switching to CDrom after boot]
device=himem.sys /testmem:off
device=ramfd.sys
device=usbaspiX.sys /W
device=usbcdX.sys /D:mscd001

[autoexec.bat]
LH %ramd%:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:%CDROM%

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Anyone know of a boot floppy that will read/write NTFS and read USB? For dead laptops with bad CDs, that won’t boot from USB.
I have a DOS boot that will read NTFS, another that will read/write NTFS and another that will read a USB CDROM (but not a flash drive). Trying to repair XP from a laptop with a bad CDROM for a week now.
XP setup will not run from DOS.
Can’t copy the i386 to the C: drive.
Stuck.[/quote]

Take the hard drive out of the laptop ?