Body Discovered in Prince Rupert

Also the boy who was found with his throat slit had infact attempted to commit suicide and told paramedics and doctors that he and a gang of friends had made a pact to commit suicide.

that’s all too sad, these kids really need someone to talk to. It’s horrible that people can just let them selves go with out first seeking help, and if they did they’re looking in the wrong areas.

I hear ya on that one.

A lot of kids( and many adults ) need to quit thinking that counselling and other forms of therapy are only for “psychos” or whatever it is that people label other people.
A few years back I was going through a personal situation and didn’t want to go talk to someone about it. I had this idea in my head that therapists are only people who get paid to listen to people’s problems. But man was I ever wrong. These people totally changed my outlook on life and helped me understand why I was thinking the way I was. They helped me realize the root of my problems, in turn helped me overcome them.

Counselling is for the weak.

Quite sad how people commit suicide, like i must say, if theres nothing else in rupert beside drinkin or drugs or whatnot… theres no jobs, theres nothing to do, like unless u do sports i can see how this town can be quite depressing…

which leads to this :frowning:

It’s sad…

Counselling in NOT for the weak. When you think of the alternatives: using alcohol, drugs, and any other self-defeating behaviour; seeing a counsellor is a VERY HEALTHY CHOICE. The tone of this forum, at least for me, is more serious than the others, as it should be, this is a serious topic. When an unhealthy statement, such as the above is made, we are doing a disfavour to those who need help. That’s why we have Kid’s help lines. Kid’s in crisis need to talk!!

For the most part, kids in our society have it pretty easy, and should be able to work things out for themselves without spending a fortune on overpriced know-it-alls who really don’t know anything.

What do you mean by this? And the type of counselling I’m talking about is free. You know, we talk about how important it is for kids to get a good start. We even set up early interventions to help them read, etc. But we seem to forget about the development that takes place during adolescence. As a society we should spend at least as much money on interventions during adolescence as we do during the earliest years. This would include access to free counselling. But in general, society seems to forget about the mental well-being of people, at all stages of development.
Would you give a kid a bike and tell them to figure it out? Probably not! You would guide them, even though they may fall. The same should hold true for making sure that kids are taught how to deal with lifes’ issues.

[quote=“hoshq”]

For the most part, kids in our society have it pretty easy, and should be able to work things out for themselves without spending a fortune on overpriced know-it-alls who really don’t know anything.[/quote]

Actually, counselling for youth is free. I think you’re thinking more along the lines of a psychiatrist you’ve seen on tv, instead of a counsellor, or a youth advisor.

There is free help out there, it’s just accessing it and actually asking for help that’s the problem.

[quote=“hoshq”]

Counselling is for the weak.[/quote]

Better weak and alive than strong and dead. A chinese philosopher once said one should act like a willow tree and not an oak. The willow tree bends in a strong wind, and thus survives. An oak tree resists and is blown down.

And if a Chinese philosopher said it, it’s gotta be true!

[quote=“hoshq”]

Counselling is for the weak.[/quote]

You big strong buck you HoshQ!! Comments of that sort is what stears kids away from seeking the help they need.
Counselling is also free for not only youth, but a college student is entitled to if I can recollect properly, ten sessions. Also, if your doctor refers you to Mental Health, they will assess your situation and there are many ways around the cost of such help.
Since HoshQ calls therapists know-it-alls, I guess he must know SOO much more than them right?? :unamused:
To all who struggle with different situations out there, please don’t let ignorant comments influence you in any way. There is always hope at the end of the tunnel, even though going through it may not always be easy.

Oh and one more thing, I’m far from weak. If I was weak, I wouldn’t have sought counselling and most importantly probably wouldn’t be here today.

I love the cities solution to this problem… increase the police force. Don’t you think that if the city has approached this problem correctly in the first place, there wouldn’t be as much need for a larger police force. Goes to show how much more lazy beaurocracy and government is over the working class, and yet they lay the blame on the working class.

Ahhh damn I just turned this into a political issue.

Counselling is NOT free. These “doctors” DO NOT work for nothing. They charge big bucks, and someone does pay for it.

[quote=“smartass”]Actually, counselling for youth is free. I think you’re thinking more along the lines of a psychiatrist you’ve seen on tv, instead of a counsellor, or a youth advisor.

There is free help out there, it’s just accessing it and actually asking for help that’s the problem.[/quote]

“Doctors” work for free? I didn’t know that. So the fancy cars they drive, do they get those for free too?

[quote=“Dave”]

What do you mean by this? [/quote]

What do I mean? I’m just deluded I suppose; after seeing real poverty and hunger and suffering in the world, I find it hard to understand how kids here, in a society as rich as ours, can be as troubled as they are.

You obviously havn’t been looking hard enough. There is “real poverty, hunger, and suffering” right here in this community.

[quote=“hoshq”]

[quote=“smartass”]Actually, counselling for youth is free. I think you’re thinking more along the lines of a psychiatrist you’ve seen on tv, instead of a counsellor, or a youth advisor.

There is free help out there, it’s just accessing it and actually asking for help that’s the problem.[/quote]

“Doctors” work for free? I didn’t know that. So the fancy cars they drive, do they get those for free too?[/quote]

You obviously don’t know much about the Mental Health field. My aunt works for Vancouver Mental Health, and she has never had a client who has had to pay out of their own pocket for any assistance, guidance, counselling, or psyciatric help. It is all subsidized through various organizations, as is most of the Mental Health practices in BC.

Yes, most of the time you do have to pay out of your own pocket to see a psychiatrist, but that’s not what we are mainly talking about. We are talking about youth counsellors, and guidance counsellors aren’t we? Those are always free.

[quote=“hoshq”]

“Doctors” work for free? I didn’t know that. So the fancy cars they drive, do they get those for free too?[/quote]

You are acting as if you don’t know what we are talking about. Our point is there is help out there regardless if we have the money or not.
And you arguing about the fact that some of us need help is pretty selfish. Face it HoshQ, counselling works for many and no need to argue about it.