Blu ray players/hdmi cables

So when boxing day comes around I am taking a trip to Best Buy or Future Shop to buy myself a blu ray player. Now, is a blu ray player actually worth it or should I just buy a dvd player? I do have a 1080p HDTV LCD so I figure that a blu ray would be the way to go. Anyone have suggestions on a good blu ray player?

If I am to buy a blu ray player I know I am going to need a HDMI cable. This is were I get confused because of the different types of cables out there. For example, Best Buy is selling a “Monster 2M (MC 550HD-2M EFSX) HDMI cable” for $84.99 compared to a “Monster 1M (MC 550HD-1M EFSX) HDMI calbe” for $64.99. So what the hell is the difference here? Only differences I can see is the lenght of calbe 2 meters compared to 1 meter and that 2m EFSX vs 1m EFSX. Can someone please explain the differences to me.

If it makes any difference I have a Sanyo Model DP46840 1080p HDTV tv (yes its from wal mart but I am extremely happy with it).

Thanks for the help

Do you need to pay that much for a HDMI cable? We bought a MacMini, a 23" Samsung monitor, an XBox 360 holiday package and an LG Blu-Ray player at BestBuy yesterday (Santa came early since our PC died and we decided to diversify rather than buy a high-end custom built gaming system) and the tech who was helping us grabbed $30 Dynex cables…all three setups look fantastic to me. Crisp and clean, my son set everything up and he didn’t seem to have an issue with the cheaper cables.

Buy the $2 or $3 HDMI cable at monoprice.com. There’s no difference in quality. Don’t believe it.

Unless you’re doing 20 or 30 feet runs, you won’t be able to tell the difference between the $2 HDMI cable and the $200 cable. They’re just sending 1s and 0s. The more expensive cable won’t make your video or audio better, no matter what anybody says.

monoprice.com/products/subde … p_id=10240

get a ps3 :wink:

the PS3 is a gaming system, plays Blu-Ray DVD’s and with the new update is 3D ready :smile: forget the bluray player get a ps3, you can also rock netflix on it haha

I am an Xbox guy. I recently got the new 250gb 360 slim and looking forward to getting the kinect to go with it. Plus I already own a ton of games/accersories to go with it so a PS3 would go unused and I am not all that into the PS3.

Thanks for the info on the HDMI cable. I well just go for the cheapest one I can find. I should probably get one for my 360 aswell now that I think about it. I still cant decide on a good Blu Ray player though.

[quote=“canadian”]I am an Xbox guy. I recently got the new 250gb 360 slim and looking forward to getting the kinect to go with it. Plus I already own a ton of games/accersories to go with it so a PS3 would go unused and I am not all that into the PS3.

Thanks for the info on the HDMI cable. I well just go for the cheapest one I can find. I should probably get one for my 360 aswell now that I think about it. I still cant decide on a good Blu Ray player though.[/quote]

bestbuy sells dynex / rocketfish ones, they are great ! work great too!

Im with mig tho, monoprice.com is best for cables, order them now and save the $$$

[quote=“canadian”]I am an Xbox guy. I recently got the new 250gb 360 slim and looking forward to getting the kinect to go with it. Plus I already own a ton of games/accersories to go with it so a PS3 would go unused and I am not all that into the PS3.

Thanks for the info on the HDMI cable. I well just go for the cheapest one I can find. I should probably get one for my 360 aswell now that I think about it. I still cant decide on a good Blu Ray player though.[/quote]

They’ve got blu-ray players in the source for less than $75 for their sale (Sony, Panasonic, etc), and a blu-ray / dvd player (yeah I know they play dvds anyways but that’s how it’s advertised) in zellers for $50.

The information and cable of some quality of a fair price can be had from the Blue Jeans outfit . The fact is there is a bit more to it than just buying the cheapest cable but Monster cable is for the great unwashed that think spending $ is a guarantee of quality In fact, they are not as per many reviews and my own usage. A link that helped me a lot: bluejeanscable.com/store/hdm … -cable.htm As to a player, a very good one should be had for under $300.00 I have a Panasonic bottom of the model run that is excellent but a little slow.Model DMP BD60

Cable quality matters not unless it is broken, damaged or has a manufacturing defect (which for 2.00 buy 3 one will work). I dont know much if anything about hdmi but as with most digital technologies there will likely be some form of error correction so even a damaged cable would likely have no effect on the display.

Do yourself and your friends and family a favor. Go to the site mentioned by Mig and buy a bunch of the HDMI cables. Give them away as presents and save your friends and family a ton of cash.

I always trust MiG’s advice. Why pay extra cash if the cheaper cables will do the job?

Or tell them they are $70 cables!

Slightly related: James Randi offered to pay out his $1 million dollar prize to anyone who could tell the difference between a cheap audio cable and an expensive Monster cable. Because he figured if you can tell the difference, then you must possess paranormal powers. A couple of people took the challenge, but so far they’ve not been able to follow through.

gizmodo.com/305549/james-randi-o … are-better

gizmodo.com/315250/pear-cable-ch … or-answers

wired.com/gadgetlab/2007/10/10-tips-for-dea/

That was crazy-expensive audio cables from Monster, but the principle is the same with HDMI cables. Unless you’re talking really long cables, the $2 cable is just fine. If you can tell the on-screen difference between a $2.00 one-metre cable and a $100 one-metre cable, you must possess supernatural powers.

[quote=“MiG”]

Or tell them they are $70 cables!

Slightly related: James Randi offered to pay out his $1 million dollar prize to anyone who could tell the difference between a cheap audio cable and an expensive Monster cable. Because he figured if you can tell the difference, then you must possess paranormal powers. A couple of people took the challenge, but so far they’ve not been able to follow through.

gizmodo.com/305549/james-randi-o … are-better

gizmodo.com/315250/pear-cable-ch … or-answers

wired.com/gadgetlab/2007/10/10-tips-for-dea/

That was crazy-expensive audio cables from Monster, but the principle is the same with HDMI cables. Unless you’re talking really long cables, the $2 cable is just fine. If you can tell the on-screen difference between a $2.00 one-metre cable and a $100 one-metre cable, you must possess supernatural powers.[/quote]

BUT BUT BUT the HDMI cables from monster are faster and life time warranted FAIL

THE only time i really told my customers to buy a Monster HDMI cable was for the 20Plus foot run i had to do, other than that all cheap dynex / mono priced ones.