Blockade in Oona

[quote=“chiefdave”]I am in no way advocating for Kitkatla, far from actually, but, there are definately other factors in at play in the dollar amounts you are refferring.
Firstly revenue sharing is not exactly a defined term, simply meaning that I don’t think the numbers are based on the revenue for any particular year. Rather the dollar amounts were negotiated based on the negotiators skills and, secondly the assumption of Rights and Title not being recognized(over time or ever). Something like compensation, without actually compensating…I guess.[/quote]

I appreciate that you are in no way advocating for Kitkatla’s leaders. My read of your comments on this and other issues is that you reflect a different and more constructive approach within the aboriginal community that Kitkatla’s leaders unfortunately do not seem to support at this time.

The amount of money that has been paid over as “revenue sharing” has been based on per capita allocations to each band that has signed an agreement; not on the skills of particular negotiators. By my read of the policy (available online), no negotiator should be getting big bonuses for these deals. Here is what the Ministry’s FAQ says:

“Will each First Nation across the province get the same amount? No, but each First Nation that signs a Forest and Range Agreement will receive a share of the available forestry revenue sharing budget on a per capita basis.”

It appears that at least $50 million a year has been budgeted since around 2005/06.

I think that your comment that the funds paid are “Something like compensation, without actually compensating” says a lot about the overall situation. The BC Treaty Process was supposed to compensate and otherwise resolve all major concerns, but it gives every appearance of being a colossal failure, with over $1 billion having been spent with precious little in the way of concrete results so far.

I hesitate to say this, but the much-maligned Liberal government has shown considerable creativity in coming up with alternative approaches. By entering into deals with most of the bands in the province, that provide for “revenue sharing” and forest tenures, the government pretty much ended “the war in the woods”. Here is one summary from the policy statement of what they hoped to achieve:

“These agreements provide the Ministry with operational stability and assist First Nations to achieve their economic objectives by providing revenue and direct award of timber tenure.”

“Operational stability”, that’s what the government has been hoping for in return for all of these millions that have been paid out; and it looks like in most of the province that has been achieved.

The government’s forest agreements come across as loosely structured deals that are largely based on good faith, with the bands being provided no strings attached funding, and an opportunity for a direct award of a forest tenure (which may or may not be a good deal; times being rather tough). The only caveat is that if problems arise they will be discussed at a governmental level without the interests of innocent third parties, including businesses and workers, being held for ransom due to blockades or other forms of retaliatory action.

The overwhelming majority of bands seem to have bought into that vision. I cannot recall the last time that I heard of a logging blockade anywhere, until now. That’s what I find objectionable about the Kitkatla leadership’s approach. They accept millions that the government has made available under what is called the “New Relationship”, but they evidently want to practice the old style of politics. They should not be able to have it both ways.

I wonder how this is really going to play out at the next SQCRD meeting? The representative for that area is also the one that has the blockade. Honestly, do the directors that sit on that table really communicate to the people they are to be representing?

wake up call. A small band of people are dictating to the government. Thought we lived in a democracy. It’s a lie

Order them to move if they refuse move them or is it racist to do that because they arent white?

Don’t make it into something it doesnt have to be, I do not want to support this action, but if it turns to a race or cultural type of conflict I would have to rethink who am supporting here.
Right now it is Kitkatla against the province of BC.

[quote=“chiefdave”]

Don’t make it into something it doesnt have to be, I do not want to support this action, but if it turns to a race or cultural type of conflict I would have to rethink who am supporting here.
Right now it is Kitkatla against the province of BC.[/quote]

It is most definitely a racial conflict. A group of self righteous assholes thinks they are entitled to more because of their ‘race’ and is using the livelihood of others as leverage to get what they want. They only get away with this because of their race and whether you want to admit it or not that is a fact.

Any other group of people engaged in this action would be arrested, with force if necessary. Since the perpetrators of this crime are native the government fears being labeled prejudice and as such has decided to take no action. This is nothing more than domestic terrorism.

There must be some way for us to force our gutless polititians into doing something about this? Is it civil disobedience or is there a better way ?

Given that this hasnt even been picked up by provincial media yet I’d say civil disobedience is the only option. Attention needs to be brought to this issue and we need to adopt the US policy on not negotiating with terrorists. Take down the blockade and arrest those responsible. End of story. This kind of action cannot be tolerated by anyone any time. You want to negotiate with the government do it in good faith or be told to fuck off.

[quote=“jesus”]

Right now it is Kitkatla against the province of BC.

It is most definitely a racial conflict. A group of self righteous assholes thinks they are entitled to more because of their ‘race’ and is using the livelihood of others as leverage to get what they want. They only get away with this because of their race and whether you want to admit it or not that is a fact.

Any other group of people engaged in this action would be arrested, with force if necessary. Since the perpetrators of this crime are native the government fears being labeled prejudice and as such has decided to take no action. This is nothing more than domestic terrorism.[/quote]

THIS!!

AGREED!! This is EXACTLY what is happening…this may be Kitkatla VS The Government, but they are using the livelihoods of 12 employees (never mind the entire community of Oona River) as ransom to get what they want…how is this right…where is the fucking support for the 12 people ACTUALLY FUCKING WORKING, who are now out of a job because of this blockade…do they have no rights? Where the FUCK are we living where this type of thing is allowed to happen!!

Jesus, I agree that the Kitkatla are using their heritage to leverage government, but I can’t stress this enough, they are very much alone right now.
I can safely say that I, as a First Nation person from the North Coast, do not support these “self righteous assholes” in their actions.
If this turns into a higher level debate about what is essentially a rights and title issue with the Federal Government, then I would have to reassess my position here(not a threat but more of a statement that the First Nation Govts around here would likely be more supportive of the Kitkatla). I would also, think that this would really handcuff local authorities, the government officials involved and unfortunately the workers who are being denied the right to work for a much longer time while such a complicated issue gets worked out through either the courts or some other conflict resolution.

Can’t the forestry company and the laid off workers sue the Kitkatla band for damages?

I get a little frustrated when people who sponge off of taxpayers’ money shut down the businesses that are paying the taxes.

[quote=“trilinearmipmap”]Can’t the forestry company and the laid off workers sue the Kitkatla band for damages?

I get a little frustrated when people who sponge off of taxpayers’ money shut down the businesses that are paying the taxes.[/quote]

Maybe it can come out of their revenue sharing agreement with the govt?