Billy thinks BluRay burners will change the way we use hard drives

make sure your tv is 1080p if its not then it just looks like a dvd

The Day after Tomorrow looks freaking awesome in High Def! Tornado’s destroying downtown LA? Bring it on :smile:

Bluray will take 40% of the market by the end of this year, by the end of 2011 I say 60%.  Both dvd and bluray are dropping prices.  Dvd’s are trying get get every last penny they can before they are obsolete.  In 5 years from now video rental stores will be selling all there dvds.  I bet a bluray player will be going for 50-75$ range sometime this year.
Not sure if bluray will support 2160p yet.  I surely dont want to download a 2160p movie

[quote=“billy”]
Bluray will take 40% of the market by the end of this year, by the end of 2011 I say 60%. [/quote]

Ah, a testable claim.

Considering that it’s 12% now, that’s a long way to go.  But we’ll come back to this thread in December and see how right you are.

Well, most BluRay’s here come as a package… BluRay Disc, DVD, and Digital version…

Best of all worlds I guess!

Uhm, Billy started this thread, so that’s who I was responding to.  Maybe I’ll just slink back into the lurking shadows…

Well I actually enjoy watching movies on Blu Ray, but hey what do I know… this whole digital downloading environment is all so confusing, just give me a disc to shove into a machine and start the movie already.

At any rate, Sony seems to be siding with those that suggest that all is not well in the world of digital reproduction on disc, blu ray or any other way.

brisbanetimes.com.au/technol … -n9wg.html

and warner home video is dumping Cinram as its source of those shiny little discs.

theglobeandmail.com/globe-in … le1451680/

blu-ray.com/news/?id=4390

Blu-ray Sells over $330m in Q1 2010

Posted April 5, 2010 05:15 AM by Juan Calonge

Blu-ray MoviesAccording to aggregate weekly estimates from the research department of Home Media Magazine and listed each week on blu-ray.com’s sales information posts, revenues from BD sales in the US in the first quarter of 2010 were $331.31 million, 68.5% more than in the same period of 2009. Blu-ray accounted for 12.3% of packaged-media sales revenue in the first three months of the year (versus 7.0% in Jan-Mar 2009).

Packaged-media sales revenues for the quarter were just short of $2.7 billion, 3.1% up year-on-year.

The biggest-selling week in the quarter was the week ended March 25, with $45.46 million in BD sales. The slowest week was the week ended February 21, with $18.58 million.

During the month of March, Blu-ray sales revenues were $130.36 million, 86% up year-on-year.

And online streaming grew even more in the same period, not to mention regular DVD sales.  Bluray remains a small minority.  

You predicted Bluray would “change the way we use hard drives,” by the way. How has that happened?  It hasn’t.  Just the opposite, hard drives have changed the way we watch movies.

You also said this last time you scored an own-goal:

Guess what?  Still wrong.

Mig, why are you even bothering wasting your time on him ? If he thinks he is the cats MEOW with technology and how things grow then let him think he is smart.

Because he is living in fear that blu ray will not flop

You said “Blu-Ray Burners will change the way we use hard drives.”  That was 4 years ago.  Tell me how right you are?  Totally wrong.

You said that “Blu-Ray will have 40% market share by December 2010”  It currently has 12% of the physical market share (which makes is about 6% of the movie share, and that’s going down every month).

Normally I’d disagree, I like my BluRay, and could see it growing, then my Internet got upgraded to 50 Meg, and now I got my Apple TV and Boxee systems going… well, my opinion changed…

I can’t see me ever buying another BluRay (Cheap BluRays on eBay now if anyone wants them… Region 2 though I’m afraid!)! Downloaded HighDef really is the best thing going! Its 25 mins for me to download a full HighDef movie, faster than it takes me to get to the store, buy a BluRay, get home!

I was thinking about buying a apple tv, but then again i would have to pay for movies etc etc :frowning: bah!  How do you like yours ? Do you like it ?

Jase

I think its great! I don’t JUST play the stuff I’ve paid for (although I do pay for some HD movies, no more than I would if I was buying BR disks though), its easy to hack it and add the ability to run divx etc… Personally, works well for me.

thanks, might have to buy one instead of paying rip off shaw for a pvr :smile:

I’ve had an AppleTV since they came out.  It has been running xbmc and boxee for a long time now. If you’re going to run one of those, then AppleTV might not be the cheapest option. 

I will do both ill buy shows & movies, plus unlock it to watch some downloaded stuff.