Billy thinks BluRay burners will change the way we use hard drives

Well, here there are older title Blu-Rays for as little as ten bucks or lower. For such a new format, that’s really low. Plus bin after bin of dirt cheap DVDs, some as low as four bucks. HMV was the source ofsome good deals on stocking stuffers this Christmas!

I have nothing to add to the subject.   Just want to make sure the thread stays alive a little longer because I marvel every time I read the title. :smiley:  (Even if it’s been proven wrong!)

Blu-ray was never going to be the next big thing in digital media because it simply wasn’t worth it.  The normal consumer wasn’t going to spend that much to upgrade to  a blu-ray player and then spend $30-40 on 1 blu-ray disc for a minor upgrade in quality.

I told my husband to hold off buying a Blu-Ray player till the cost had bottomed out. Since then, we’ve got enough HD movie channels coming in off our satellite system that we’re only renting the occasional movie anyhow and if we buy, it’s DVD and it looks good enough. Oh and the two movie rental places here in town have one small section each devoted to Blu-Ray because the majority of their customers apparently don’t own a player… :unamused:

Billy, you also need to remember that it took years before VHS finally buried Beta.  Just because it wasn’t an overnight flop doesn’t mean that bluray will eventually fail.  Only time will tell.  With that said, I do have a bluray player in my PS3.

We have a projector for a tv and its a big screen. Regular dvd’s don’t look as good when you compare them to blu-ray (depending on where you’re seated). We usually watch our movies off of the computer but when we buy or rent, its no question that we’re getting the better quality product.

That’s the great thing about digital delivery, though. It’s in HD too, if you choose that’s how you want it.

In fact, I’m pretty certain that lots of the stuff available on iTunes in an HD option isn’t available as a blu-ray disc.

Yeah, when I’ve bought TV shows on iTunes, it always sends the HD and non-HD versions.  If I’m in a hurry, I’ll watch the normal version, since it downloads quicker.  

Then I’ll archive the HD version, when it arrives an hour or two later, on the backup drive.

I don’t really understand the argument.

People use Blu-Ray burners? I couldn’t imagine the average person actually buying a writable Blu-Ray drive, let alone paying $2.50 -$5.00 for a single-layer writable Blu-Ray disc that only holds 25GB. You can buy 1000GB drives for your computer or 500GB drives that fit in your pocket for around $100 dollars. What is the point?

It’s been 3 years and a few months since MiG said the format will flop like minidisc and betamax, roughly the same period of time that Blu-Ray technology has been available to us. How long were MD players popular for? I remember a couple of my friends in High School had them. Slow, expensive and annoying to record to. I didn’t once think to myself that I would rather have one than my Discman, or whatever. It seems to me that MD was doomed right from the start.

That said, Blu-Ray certainly isn’t dead or close to being dead. The format is still gaining popularity (especially since they won the confusing format battle against HD-DVD ), however so is hard-drive or flash based storage. I have around 4000GB of storage on my home network, and I think it is safe to say that I will never buy a Blu-Ray movie. Optical discs are inconvenient and fragile. Hard drives are fast, cheap and practically bullet-proof.

So, it seems to me that:

-More and more people buy and rent Blu-Ray movies, but don’t use it as storage media.
-Blu-Ray is still gaining popularity and is the only format that you can buy at the store downtown to watch 720/1080p movies.
-iTunes and other services are selling HD content online, so you don’t need to go to the store and buy a disc, and it’ll be safe on your hard drive forever…

Is it safe for me to say that the Blu-Ray format hasn’t flopped yet, but BD-R media certainly hasn’t changed the way people use hard drives? Really neither person is correct, yet. If it’s going to go one way or the other, Blu-Ray will flop, because I’ll never buy one, and to think that people use them as storage media is just frightening.

Hard Drive > Blu-Ray > DVD > VHS

Sony is bad, mmmkay? 

Sony = rootkit = me throwing away the one thing made by Sony I did own and will never buy another Sony product again

But - that is a total tangent to what this thread is about - Billy being his usual self.  Who the hell cares about Blu-Ray anyways?  You want it, you buy it.  You don’t, you don’t.  Who cares about who claimed what 3+ years ago - let it go dude.

[quote=“kaleid”]
Sony is bad, mmmkay? 

Sony = rootkit = me throwing away the one thing made by Sony I did own and will never buy another Sony product again[/quote]

I think the rootkit mostly applies to albums recorded by Sony-BMG. Otherwise their products are quite decent, if not exceptional quality.

It’s just their inconsistency and constant fiddling of storage formats is a real turn off. For example: my Sony W300i cell phone uses the M2 Memory Sticks, which is now going to be practically useless come August because Sony’s latest line of mobile phones accepts the more broadly used MicroSD.

Now I regret spending $40 on an ancient piece of storage… =.=

Let it go? This is my first post on an active topic that was only started yesterday.

I for one do care about Blu-Ray, but I won’t buy a Blu-Ray movie. My PS3 depends on the storage capacity and read speed of the discs, so I can enjoy playing Call of Duty in the way that I do.

The memory stick argument is a good one. Proprietary formats of any type are generally a pain in the ass. SD and Micro SD cards are pretty mainstream, but more expensive alternatives like Pro Duo exist. Sony isn’t the only one doing it. How many cellphones use the same charging/data port, or batteries for cameras, cellphones and camcorders.

online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … 33456.html

Okay, I’ll bite. Does the article go on to say that the push worked or that Blu-Ray is still languishing in the corner like a sick sister??

:confused:

12 % of a shrinking market!  Yay victory!

Billy you still haven’t told us how Blu-Ray recorders have changed the way we use hard drives.

You gave us a link that only shows half the story, but at least you’re proving MiG right.

LOL

[quote=“Billy Fails!”] Hollywood movie studios are trying to ensure that this holiday season they will finally start to see significant revenue from sales of Blu-ray discs—potentially a critical bulwark against the plunging DVD market, now in its third year of decline.

The studios resolved their next-generation DVD format war almost two years ago. So far, though, the take from Blu-ray has been underwhelming. The high-definition home-video format, now four years old, will produce just $1.3 billion in revenue to studios this year, says Tom Adams, president of Adams Media Research. That’s about 14% of anticipated sales of regular DVDs this year[/quote]

You’ve just proved everything that Mig said and made yourself look like a bowl of fail. The only way you might think that this helps your case is if you assume that the declining DVD market is moving in correlation with an increasing blu-ray market, which it pretty clearly isn’t.

Holy shit, you’ve even made eccentric agree with me.  Well done Billy.  Must have been with the awesome power of your Blu-ray burner.

We got a PS3 for the men in the house this christmas…we still havent bothered to rent or buy a bluray disc…I will buy 2012 on bluray only because i like it and I think it would probably look even cooler in hd.