Billy thinks BluRay burners will change the way we use hard drives

Quote from: yngwie_69 on November 09, 2006, 07:08:39 PM
Bluray dvd burners are going to change the way we use hds soon anyways.

Mig Responds

Bluray will flop like minidisc players and betamax, sorry.

We’re beyond that kind of media, there’s no quantum-leap.  People will just have hard-drive based media, video on demand, etc.

Source
hackingthemainframe.com/smf/inde … 762.0.html

“Blu-ray players could top the Christmas list, but the format has a long way to go
Sales of Sony’s premium product have disappointed so far.”

guardian.co.uk/technology/20 … stmas-list

Yeah yeah yeah.  Even the Netflix guys are saying that physical media is dead.

So how did I fail?

Do you want me to start a thread with “billy fails” for all of yours?

research the bluray, sales are beyond what they expected.  Streaming and stored media wont take over for a good 5 years.  Bluray is taken over movie gallery.  There’s to many people that actually want a physical product still.

You flopped sorry

I flopped?  You said, in 2006, that Blu-Ray will change the way we use HDs?  

Now it’s 2010, and Blu-Ray is 10-12% of the market.  

Fail.

Normal DVD is “just fine” for most people, and streaming and downloading makes up the rest.  Netflix is the largest renter, and they’re seeing 90%+ downloading and streaming versus physical media.

You’re wrong, sorry.

Here’s a stat from blu-raystats.com/

12% of the physical media sales are Blu-Ray.  Fail fail fail.

And that doesn’t include the streaming and downloading, which is the majority on services like Netflix now.  So Blu-Ray is 12% of the minority of rentals.  

On top of that, your prediction was that “Bluray dvd burners would change the way we use hard drives.”  4 years ago.  Epic fail.

Also, yngway is billy?

Bluray will flop like minidisc players and betamax, sorry.

Thats what you said, bluray is here to stay… sorry you failed

sorry billy you fail. within 5 years there will be minimal market for dvd and bluray . but simply downloading movies from netflix or amazon or downloading and plugging a usb drive into your tv . copy and paste that in 5 years lol

4 years and it’s still only 12% of the physical market, and it’s shrinking in the overall market.  Bookmark this thread and come back in 5 years – will “Blu-Ray be here to stay?”  No.  Unless you mean in the same way Beta and VHS are still around.

Blu-ray will flop because it will never have the majority of the market necessary to make it the default standard.

Take a look here:  blu-raystats.com/MarketShare/index.php  and look at the numbers.  No real growth trend there, in fact, it’s lower now than it has been in the past. 

How have Blu-Ray Burners changed the way we use hard drives.  That’s your huge fail.

When you can carry around a 2 TB Hard Drive in your pocket, why do you want to go through all the trouble of burning crap on a plastic disc?

Why buy the new season of 24 on blu-ray when I can buy it in HD off iTunes at the same price months before the blu-ray releases? Plus, lose or scratch one disc and I’m screwed.

I have a feeling that by the time blu-ray discs and players are as inexpensive as the DVD equivalents are now, digital distribution will have taken over.

Blu ray is a failure because I’ve never used it or cared enough to research the benefits and I’m not just the average technology consumer.

Optical disks are fucking useless. My flash drive cant get scratched, I can beat the fuck out of it and it still works why the hell would I want a fragile disk?

not even the games for my WII are on optical disk anymore because its so useless(I did buy a few some). I put them on a removable hard drive because optical media sucks donkey dong.  

Edit:

You can try to prove mig wrong all you want its pretty much a futile effort because if he’s unsure of what he’s going to say he generally knows to shut the fuck up :wink:

digital downloads will take a chunk of the market but will neverreplace physical distribution for purchases.

Just like email will never completely take over standard mail for some things but for most it has.

When is the last time you hand wrote a letter to grandma?

[quote=“billy”]
digital downloads will take a chunk of the market but will neverreplace physical distribution for purchases.[/quote]

The majority of the market is in rentals, not purchases.  

A majority of rentals on Netflix are already digital.  You can watch on a PS3, Xbox, and soon on a Wii.  Not to mention all the netflix-enabled TVs, as well as computers and set-top boxes.  

The way Netflix works you can wait a couple of days for the physical disk to show up at your house, then watch it, then ship it back, and wait for another one.

Or you can just watch a movie right now.  And then another one.  And another one.  No waiting.

So Blu-ray has 12% of a shrinking market.  That’s not a success.

Amazon is apparently looking at buying Netflix just for the ability to put the “view now” button right next to the “ship it to me in a couple of days on a piece of plastic” button.

Guess which one most people will use.

Finally, Billy, you wrote in 2006 that “Bluray dvd burners are going to change the way we use hds soon anyways.”

Can you tell us how Bluray dvd burners have changed the way we use hard drives?

In the same way carrier pigeons have changed the way we used email.

The only “futile” effort is arguing with billy…whats the point!  :imp:

Well billy is a bot himself; one of Sony’s forgotten failed product…

Based on the glut of low priced Blu-Ray discs clogging up the shelves near the front of the 
Best Buy and Future Shop stores we frequent, this media format cannot be doing well. We are generally the types to invest in new formats (outside of lasers discs, lol) and we didn’t bother getting either HD or Blu when they emerged. Sticking with the occasional DVD and the rest of it is downloads from legit sources.

at zelllers in rupert here the only source of blu ray its 25 -35 avg price lol

You walk up to a kiosk in the rain, plug in your USB drive and punch in the movies you want. Then plug in your Visa or debit to pay the $10 or so per movie (yeah they’ll be $30 like every new advance where they boost the price - who cares if you don’t get anything physical), take it home and plug it into your TV.
Or you can rent it online at MovieGallery.com for $10 and download it on your traffic shaped Internet connection in a couple hours. Faster on the premium $100 mo. connection.
Either download will erase itself once played.
The important thing is that nothing physical exists. No manufacturing, no employees, either a stainless steel vending machine or a web interface on your TV.
No jobs. No human interaction. You do all the work and you pay even more.
Don’t forget to press the I will be viewing this myself button when you download or they’ll ding you $30 instead of $10 for a ‘discounted family viewing ticket’.

Blu-Ray isn’t something we use; we collect DVDs.