Best Virtual Software?

I have both VMware Fusion & Virtual Box in mind to install a Windows 7 on my mac … any suggestions as to which would be best to use over the other?

any suggestions would be appreciated before I delve into the wonderful world of Mac/Windows

I use VirtualBox on my Linux station to run a variety of OSs. I think VMware is a good choice for OS X.

Thanks,
I ended up using VMware for the installation.
I’m taking a course on Unix and the wonders therein in January, so I think using VirtualBox then would be the best idea…looking forward to it!

I run all my stuff on VMware Fusion on the Mac. A couple of Windows VMs, 4 different linux distros, and a couple of Mac OS X VMs too.

The advantage of VMware is that you can take a virtual machine from your laptop and put it on another host (like a big linux server) and vice-versa.

[quote=“MiG”]
The advantage of VMware is that you can take a virtual machine from your laptop and put it on another host (like a big linux server) and vice-versa.[/quote]

That is way cool, MiG. :smile:
On my Slackware 13.37 box at the moment I’m running Debian 6.0, FreeBSD 9.0 RC1, and CentOS 6.0 in VirtualBox. I’m also running OpenBSD 5.0 in Qemu because when I tried to install it in vbox it segfaulted.

I’ve got a Quadcore6600 running Proxmox, VMs for Win2K, XP, Ubuntu 10.04, and a hotspot router. To tell the truth I haven’t even looked at it for 4 months or so, let alone used it.
Just went back to Parallels on the Macbook rather than upgrade VMware. Seems to work better, but truthfully i almost never use it either. Seems a waste of a perfectly good Mac to run Windows on it.

The only reason I run a dual boot of Slackware/XP Pro is that some M$ games do not run that well in Wine (also I need windows for itunes). My 8 year old rarely boots into Slackware (sigh). :smile:

I ended up taking Windows off my mac … I have no use for Windows … I don’t know what I was thinking…just curious about the install I suppose…come January I will definitely install vmware for whatever my Linux course throws at me (i’m excited!)

Have a spare computer around the house ? Try ESXi on a usb stick and load your vm’s on the main drive…