Benazir Bhutto Assassinated

Some very bad news for an area already destabilized by terrorism.

Benazir Bhutto assassinated

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan (CNN) – Pakistan’s former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto was assassinated Thursday outside a large gathering of her supporters where a suicide bomber also killed at least 22, doctors and a spokesman for her party said.

While Bhutto appeared to have died from bullet wounds, it was not immediately clear if she was shot or if her wounds were caused by bomb shrapnel.

President Pervez Musharraf held an emergency meeting in the hours after the death, according to state media.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/12/27/pakistan.bhutto/index.html

sad day… :cry:

It sure is a Sad Day in that country and around the world. I would imagine Bush was probably very much a part of it. There are so many leaders throughout this world that the USA have supported at one time or another and once they get in and they do not bend to the USA way they are taken out one way or another.They have been classified as Friendly Dictators,There was Noriega,Batista,Branco,Duvalier,Pinochet,Park Chung Hee and Marcos. I could go on but I am sure the message is very clear and let us not forget Harper who backroom were all those Americans.

You forgot saddam :wink:  That name will probably ring more bells with the younger generation.

That is true Saddam,but as I said I could go on and on.

One thing is certain, the mid-east has changed a bit.  I liked Bhutto as a moderating force.  I sincerely hope that the lunatic fringe does not hold undue influence in the region.

Found this on the reddit frontpage:

reddit.com/info/63z7z/comments/ “A friend of mine is visiting family in Karachi, Pakistan. I emailed her to see how she was doing… this was her response”

Just the sort of domino falling that could destabilize the whole region.

Eso thank you very much for sharing that with us , I was very much into hearing her account.

She was the last hope for Pakistan.

Sad.

Bhutto’s Son to lead party.  I wonder if the election will go ahead?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/12/30/pakistan.politics/index.html

Let me preface this by identifying myself as an American citizen. Here’s my take:

If there really is any US involvement in an arranged attack of this kind - as I believe there has been many times before, both at home and abroad - it would serve (deliberately or incidentally) to politicize our upcoming presidential election in favor of the neoconservative government that corporate Washington desperately wishes to preserve. While Bhutto had been a genuine ally to US interests, an indefinitely Musharraf-led Pakistan presents neoconservative power with another potential enemy to suck oil from.

Or it could be middle eastern activism as usual. At this point, no explanation would surprise me.

However, I reject the notion that Pakistan’s democratic aspirations are sunk. If the death of a single person can kill a political schema, then that schema had no hope to begin with. Look at the general reaction to the event: hundreds of thousands of people are expressively pissed. If people believe strongly in the cause - as it seems they do - there will always be a regroup after the violence. I hope her son can bring healing and progress to the country without fueling sectarian indignation.

In the established South Asian tradition, one’s political fortunes increase with the martyring of a close relative.

Lots of examples in Pakistan, India, Bangladesh. 

This is very bad for Benazir Bhutto, but pretty fricken excellent for her party, especially when it’s led by her son.  It was a minority party in the first place, but now it will surely take support from the Muslim League-N (which is the successor to the party founded by Bhutto’s grandfather, BTW).

So if the elections are held, you’ll see Bhutto’s party do very well, I’m sure.

Even though Bhutto’s son is very young, lacking experience, I think you’re correct.  Bhutto’s death has brought chaos to the country, but, her passing may help her party in the upcoming election.  I hope that democracy will prevail.  Musharref’s iron grip on power is slipping.

So I knew yesterday the they said she died from hitting her head on the sun roof, bullshit i thought, if she is not killed then she can’t be a marter or martyrdom,  so today i see new footage that show her being shot in the head, slumping for a few sec then going back into the sunroof… I can’t believe that they would cover up the real reason how she died…

That might have happened, but, as I understand it there was quite a bit of confusion surrounding her assassination, that is, several things happened at once.  Three shots were fired then a suicide bomb was detonated.  I’m not defending the government spokesman, but, he did say that Bhutto’s body could be exhumed.
Hopefully this newest video will help to calm the riots in the streets and democracy can now move forward.

I wouldn’t want to be the 19 year old kid taking over Bhutto’s party…don’t stand up in your limousine!

Her husband won’t release the body to the government for an autopsy, having dealt with the Pakistani government he’s a tad concerned about their intentions and honesty, (go figure).

I’m not sure that I would want my son to follow the line of  duty that seems to be calling,

Grandfather was executed by the military, Mom was assasinated (most likely with the assistance of the military), so job security is probably not something to plan on.

Pretty brave 19 year old to step up and take the hopes of his mother’s followers on to his shoulders, me I think I’d be looking for a nice scholarship at some far off university and let someone else worry about the out of control spiral of horror currently unfolding there.   

A very brave man indeed.  He’s currently in his first year at Oxford university.  I wish him very good luck…he’ll need it.

The weird saga continues.  Police prevented the autopsy from happening at the hospital.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/12/31/pakistan.autopsy/index.html

(ending the year on pessimistic note)
Why would they ruin an opportunity to pin blame on the Taliban and widen the war (and access to unlimited US $$$$) by allowing an autopsy that might reveal a bullet wound of police caliber?