Being a Graduator

Alan Truong’s roommate last year at UBC was this hardliner Soviet named Sergei who barely spoke English.

In comparison to how people live elsewhere in the world, in less developed places. Yes, there are differences within Canada. But there are also lots and lots of similarities, which we might not realize are there unless we go someplace where they don’t exist.

Um, there haven’t been any soviets for more than a decade.

You know what I mean.

[quote=“Eso”]What MiG is challenging, then, is your definition of a border.

If you’re interested in seeing a world different than your own, don’t limit yourself to Southeast Asia.[/quote]

Strong words from a man content to spend his life in Prince Rupert, guzzling beer and going to bad rock concerts.

And who are you to condemn those decisions?

At least by resorting to ad-hominem, you’ve assured me victory in this argument.

Point, set, match, Eso. Good use of informal logic.

[quote=“Eso”]And who are you to condemn those decisions?

At least by resorting to ad-hominem, you’ve assured me victory in this argument.[/quote]

So how’s the duct tape holding up?

Says the guy who just got into an accident?

Port Simpson wasn’t so bad. At least when I was there, they had a store, and a resturant.
Now back in the day when we lived in Kitkatla, there was only one phone. and it was about 20-25 mins away by plane. Now that was a different world.

But you might not realize that there are similarities within Canada unless you actually explore the country. What you are advocating is a kind of snobish tourism where one feels that everyone should travel only the way they do: backpack, sandals, toothbrush and a Lonely Planet guide. Sure it sounds exotic, sure it sounds great (I’ve done it myself about 10 years ago, with a Let’s Go book) but don’t diss travelling inside Canada as being an inferior experience.
Don’t forget, your original suggestion is for 18-19 years old recent high school graduate. I would think that for themselves and for our society, it would be good for them to experience Canada first before going to Thailand and see what rampant child prostitution is all about and other “cultural differences”.

There is some beauty in Thailand as well, just as there’s plenty of ugliness in Canada.

It seems it is so much easier for people to make negative comments than positive ones.

that’s not true (wow that was a really easy comment to make).

I wasn’t expecting that by saying “hey, go see the world and travel a bit as an educational cultural experience” that I’d run into so much fear and patriotism.

Nobody’s arguing that travel is bad.

You just seem to think that you have to go to India or China to have the benefits of travel. It’s just not true. You seem to think that Canada is homogenuos and not worthy of travel. That’s just not true either.

Actually, a better idea than travelling, would be to go live and work some place else in Canada for a year. You see things a lot differently that way than you would as a traveller. You’d get more of a “feel” for the place, and pick up on small nuances, that as a traveller would be missed.

I met Boxie!

http://hackingthemainframe.com/coppermine/wm.php?pid=10189&mode=normal

Is that why you came to Rupert?

Somewhat. I had been living somewhere very flat, dry and isolated, and I wanted to be in the mountains and on the coast. I’m finding Rupert to be a rather ideal place to live.