Being a Graduator

I’m not sure how many of y’all (but at least some of y’all) may have noticed this, but there’s a couple different paths that one can take after graduating from High School. Now this system is not set in stone, but it is a path that is followed by many…

When you graduate from High School, you either get set for moving away to attain higher education or else you stay in your hometown and find work.

I, for one, took a year off and stayed in town for 3/4’s of the year, where I worked for a lot of money and had a very good, leisurely time. Afterwards, I got back on the horse and hightailed it to Alberta where I am attending University. That’s one path that you may take.

There’s also the “Stay in Town and Find a Sufficient Job” route, where you’ll work normal hours, get a decent pay, and are able to sustain your living while having a great time. That path is as common as it is for folks to move off and go to University or some Trades School. It’s pretty tight because you might start to see the money building up in your Bank Account and then you can buy all of the groody tools that you need to have fun.

That’s all easy though. Rightaboutnow, I just want to comment on one thing that I’ve seen as of late…

For the folks who stay in town and have no immediate plans of leaving, they all be gettin’ tied down to some ladies. When you’re a fella who stays in town after graduation, getting a lady is of top priority. You get that lady, hang on to her, and make sure that everyone knows she’s your gal and you do you best to keep hold of her. If you’ve got a lady there ain’t no reason for you to move on with life, you’ve got your bitch and that’s your status. In some cases it don’t matter about your bros, you got your bitch and she’s your time and you start revolving your life around her. Where you buddies who moved on end up coming back to town, you got less to do with them on account of you has your chick to spend time with. I don’t wanna take this Might-Be-A-Rant too much further, but I’m just pointin’ out a lil’ sompin’ sompin’ that I was made aware of to your senses.

I’m not here to judge the way you be, I got my own complications, demonstrations. Now how’s that for an investigation?

:unamused:

Here’s a better path: work for a year, save everything you make, then go travelling for a year. See how the rest of the world lives - the best education of all.

Then, come home and go to university.

[quote=“hoshq”]Here’s a better path: work for a year, save everything you make, then go travelling for a year. See how the rest of the world lives - the best education of all.

Then, come home and go to university.[/quote]

I like you plan hoshq. However, the world being what it is now, I would worry about safety in some parts of it. As a parent of two, I hope my kids travel when they reach adulthood. However,again as a parent, I think that coming out of high school is still a young age. Maybe exploring Canada could be a better option (through Katimavik fo example.)

The world is fine. Most people are not terrorists. I travelled in several Islamic countries after 911 and found good, kind, generous people.

And Katimavik? Canadians (or at least the ones highlighted in the Katimavik program) are pretty much the same from one end of the country to the other. It wouldn’t be a “cultural” experience, not like going far away, to somewhere like India or China.

I dunno. When I was in Labrador, there was a Katimavik group there. Kids from Calgary, Toronto, Montreal living in North West River (population 300). Things are very different, and people are very different.

If you want India and China, there’s always Surrey and Richmond.

Living in Cape Breton is not the same as living in Victoria. They have very different world views, and it’s a very valuable experience to see different world views, right here in Canada,

Yes, travelling to India is great, but why go to India if you’ve never been to Winnipeg?

8)

I actually really want to check out Winnipeg.

Like why are all of Canada’s great rock bands/musicians from Winnipeg? Is there something in the water?[/code]

That is so true. My wife and I would go shopping in Richmond at this hugh “safeway-like” store, but full of exotic foods. We like that kind of thing, it’s pretty cool. Not to forget China town, as well.

And Winnipeg in winter would be even more different.

And we shouldn’t forget that Canada has some of the most beautiful parklands in all the world.

[quote=“Charles_T”]

8)[/quote]

Personal experience I guess. Winnipeg may have different scenery, but it has the same money, the same language, and people generally do things in the same ways.

But in a far away country, like Indonesia, everything seems different. Everything seems alien.

And besides, In Thailand, for instance, you can easily get by on $15 a day. You’d be lucky not to spend four times as much as that travelling through Canada. True, getting there and back costs $800, plus a little more for insurance and malaria pills, buy if you’re going for a few months or more, it really is the more economic option.

Everywhere is beautiful.

When I lived in Port Simpson (approx. 15 minutes away by plane), it was worlds away from what I experienced in Rupert.

So your argument is that Thailand is cheaper than Canada, therefore it’s a better place to travel? If so, then stay home, that’s even cheaper.

Or a different language & culture? Like I said, go to Richmond, you’ll have a different language & culture.

Or you want a place that uses different money? That’s the basis of your travel plans?

Personally, I wouldn’t be caught dead in Indonesia (well, probably because my passport says I was born in Portugal), and the K & R insurance would make it much more expensive than a simple European trip.

But yeah, travel is good. But there are so many people (especially here in Rupert) who have never been to Canada, yet dismiss it outright as not as exciting.

Christ man, I’m not trying to pick a fight with you. I’m just trying to say travel is good and educational, it’s a different world out there beyond our borders, and people should go and experience it.

Out of curiousity, what do you learn from travelling to other places?

Me, I’m pretty happy with where I am.

You basically said that travelling in Canada isn’t as good as travelling in India or China, since all Canadians are the same.

And that’s just not true.

[quote=“hoshq”]

Christ man, I’m not trying to pick a fight with you. I’m just trying to say travel is good and educational, it’s a different world out there beyond our borders, and people should go and experience it.[/quote]

What MiG is challenging, then, is your definition of a border.

If you’re interested in seeing a world different than your own, don’t limit yourself to Southeast Asia.

Other than doing a little camping along the coast between here and Oregon, I have no desire to travel too far. Plus, Vancouver (as MiG rightly states) has a ton of “cultures”. When we lived at UBC, our apartment had cultures from pretty much everywhere, or so it seemed. I saw my first Muslim woman (in the cultural dress and all) at UBC, not some distant land.