Be the change you want to see!

A community is judged by how it treats it’s children and animals – this town should hang their heads in shame. We have watched how this community treats their children and pets, and what we see is absolutely disgraceful. Once they are no longer cute & cuddly, the kids seem to go live with another family member who tries to raise them or they are left to run free with no boundaries. Any surprise they get into trouble? Just go down town on a Friday or Saturday night after midnight and you will see the kids out & about. AND the animals – helpless animals – are dumped and left to die, or are abandoned when people move, or no longer find them cute, or can’t be bothered. Again, left to die or for someone else to take responsibility. What is wrong with us as a community? Kids and pets are a priviledge, not a right. We live in such a quiet, beautiful place, not a lot of congestion - why does it appear so disfunctional and yes, cruel. Now don’t get me started on the gargabe dumped around town – YIKES. The attitude of entitlement yet lack of respect in our community is shameful. How did this happen?

Just asking …

Our dog is a rescued mutt from Terrace. Was abused, now he’s a pampered little shit.
He ran away a couple days after we got him and we got a call about our dog “Terrace”. He still had the tag on his collar and the well-meaning twit who found him didn’t know the diff between a name tag and a license. He still makes the odd great escape but can find his way home.
The girl who works for me is with the local Humane Society and I allow her to do promo work, printing and their website when things are slow. They’ve fixed up the old buildings at the Fair grounds as a shelter, fostered, trained and have found homes for pets as far away as Quesnel. Now they’re talking the winos into letting them scoop the rez dogs that hang with them and having them spayed/neutered and vaccinated.
We donate all our empties from home and work and friends to them, the bottle depot even has a special bin.
If you have a Humane Society there, please support them all you can. It’s one little thing you can do to make things better.

One thing I learned: the only thing dumber than a Pomeranian is two Pomeranians. Gotta go, Count Yargo wants out to pee!

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Our dog is a rescued mutt from Terrace. Was abused, now he’s a pampered little shit.
He ran away a couple days after we got him and we got a call about our dog “Terrace”. He still had the tag on his collar and the well-meaning twit who found him didn’t know the diff between a name tag and a license. He still makes the odd great escape but can find his way home.
The girl who works for me is with the local Humane Society and I allow her to do promo work, printing and their website when things are slow. They’ve fixed up the old buildings at the Fair grounds as a shelter, fostered, trained and have found homes for pets as far away as Quesnel. Now they’re talking the winos into letting them scoop the rez dogs that hang with them and having them spayed/neutered and vaccinated.
We donate all our empties from home and work and friends to them, the bottle depot even has a special bin.
If you have a Humane Society there, please support them all you can. It’s one little thing you can do to make things better.

One thing I learned: the only thing dumber than a Pomeranian is two Pomeranians. Gotta go, Count Yargo wants out to pee![/quote]

I love hearing about people being pro-active in the pet control/care department. Thanks for making my day! Hope you made it to the door in time for Count Yargo. Poms are cute … you have to admit.

Dumb as a sack of hammers, but they know how to suck up.
When he makes his Great Escapes he comes home at 5:00 am and hides under the bed for hours. Don’t even get to punish him, he punishes himself worse than any human could.
His name is actually Colonel, but nobody can spell that properly. The little girl who lived in another apartment gave him a cloak and deeley-bobber horns one Halloween. Now he’s Count Yargo the Dracu-dog.

I’m sorry I read this and had to vent. Me and my common law GF moved here 2 1/2 years ago. We also arrived with 2 other families we knew quite personally over the years. At first we rented, but after not
getting along with the upstairs renters because of them not picking up their dog crap (im not a Nazi, it was EVERYWHERE) we decided to purchase a home despite the high property taxes and lack of services.
hooooo boooy was I nutz. We get a cheapo house fixer upper kind of place and think we have found heaven. We move in and everything’s good for awhile. I suppose that “out of towners” are not welcome here just our money. I go to mow my lawn and to my shock it was already mowed. Weirdest thing ever to complain about I know. I ask the neighbor and she said she did it always has done it and thats the way it is. No way im letting someone do that without some kind of repayment so I offer to weed whack the side of her home and garage. She looked like I punched her in the gut from her expression and mumbled response.
So i weed whack her home as I am not sure the proper protocol for a situation like this and don’t want to come off as a “gimme” kind of person. the next day she wont even say hello or wave, and the next time the lawn gets mowed on her side ours is left alone. Perfect. Then im in the office with the window open a few days later , working away like I do everyday, and I hear the woman talking to the neighbor stating " I don’t think (my name) he works." and since that time she makes a weekly appearance in the alley and runs me down to the neighbor using my name and my GF’s name saying some terribly crude things. She seems aware of the fact I can hear her and seems to get off on it, as I close the window every time she starts up. I’m sorry but I take pride in the life I live and if it makes me sound like a pussy, i dont care, it hurt, and one particular comment about my hard working kind GF hurt the worst “You have to wonder whats wrong with (her name) to stay with a guy like that.” I would like my neighbors to at least respect us here.Just because I work from home for 6 months of the year and the rest is spent away at camp, up north, in my eyes does not warrant such scrutiny. then all the surrounding neighbors have let their animals shit the lawn up (look I understand dogs don’t always go where their supposed to but stepping in dog crap 4-6 times every time, when you mow the lawn and it gets a little frustrating standing there holding a weed whacker covered in your neighbors dog shit). Thing is all of my neighbors own at least 2 dogs each. No problem. I observe these animals left alone on the ol chain 24/7 until about 6 or 7 and they gets let off to do their business. They don’t go on their own property they ALL go in my lawn. I have tried to politely show its not welcome by going out and shoveling it up and disposing of it. They dont seem to enjoy dog crap on their perfectly manicured lawns so why is it acceptable to do it on mine? at least let them do their business on your own lawn. I have tried to politely state to all of the neighbors at one point or another that its tough to clean it up all the time. None have denied (thank god) its their animal and one even apologized, an old man, coolest guy ever. However this has changed nothing. I come from the country and let me tell you, people love their animals. This behavior and neglect, isn’t unheard of, but generally speaking its pretty rare. You cant chain a dog up for the day. You cant let your dog go running across the high traffic road unattended to shit up the neighbors lawn every night, and you cant use your dog as a weapon to piss the neighbor off. Fuck the bylaws, even though they agree with me, the respect of others should rule the day. From my perspective if your to chicken shit to ask about your neighbors life if your so curious, then why should I come forth with that info? From what I see, fear of someone different then themselves, sense of entitlement, and lack of respect rule this community. I even took some courses to involve myself in the community and its tourism trade out of respect of where I was. You Prince Ruperton’s, at least the ones teaching the course, seem to be aware that things are in a little decline I was even told in no uncertain terms that “its because of all the new people.” by the course instructor, why this place is the way it was. I was shocked. Am I not new? am I not in your course trying to educate myself about things to do here in the event that a tourist asks me, in support of this community? I have had enough. The gossip, lack of respect for animals, and general small mindedness rule your community. My friends I have arrived with are gone from THE EXACT SAME REASONS. Now me and the GF are here by ourselves and now were leaving too. In fairness I dont wish to offend any kind or respectful people here. I know your out there I’ve met a few. I also do not wish to portray this beautiful area as a hell hole either. This was just MY EXPERIENCE and opinion. Oh, and for a few (you know who you are) of my fellow white people… a lesson for you here, the generous Native communities you so love to address as “bum’s” “drunks” and “losers” have been your only saving grace. They welcome your tourists, stimulate your struggling economy and are just simply awesome to us “outsiders”. One fellow I met even GAVE me the nicest cut of halibut ive ever seen for free. I had to get him something in return so i bought him a nice warrior hoodie. He called me his brother. You pass your insecurities to your children and they grow up just like you hating. I have never seen such a barrier between to different peoples as I have here. I’m sure with a few exceptions, there’s the white people and then the Natives. Its a shame after all it is 2012 not 1902. Sorry for the wall of text as i finish this i feel somehow better.

[quote=“Subz332”]I’m sorry I read this and had to vent. Me and my common law GF moved here 2 1/2 years ago. We also arrived with 2 other families we knew quite personally over the years. At first we rented, but after not
getting along with the upstairs renters because of them not picking up their dog crap (im not a Nazi, it was EVERYWHERE) we decided to purchase a home despite the high property taxes and lack of services.
hooooo boooy was I nutz. We get a cheapo house fixer upper kind of place and think we have found heaven. We move in and everything’s good for awhile. I suppose that “out of towners” are not welcome here just our money. I go to mow my lawn and to my shock it was already mowed. Weirdest thing ever to complain about I know. I ask the neighbor and she said she did it always has done it and thats the way it is. No way im letting someone do that without some kind of repayment so I offer to weed whack the side of her home and garage. She looked like I punched her in the gut from her expression and mumbled response.
So i weed whack her home as I am not sure the proper protocol for a situation like this and don’t want to come off as a “gimme” kind of person. the next day she wont even say hello or wave, and the next time the lawn gets mowed on her side ours is left alone. Perfect. Then im in the office with the window open a few days later , working away like I do everyday, and I hear the woman talking to the neighbor stating " I don’t think (my name) he works." and since that time she makes a weekly appearance in the alley and runs me down to the neighbor using my name and my GF’s name saying some terribly crude things. She seems aware of the fact I can hear her and seems to get off on it, as I close the window every time she starts up. I’m sorry but I take pride in the life I live and if it makes me sound like a pussy, i dont care, it hurt, and one particular comment about my hard working kind GF hurt the worst “You have to wonder whats wrong with (her name) to stay with a guy like that.” I would like my neighbors to at least respect us here.Just because I work from home for 6 months of the year and the rest is spent away at camp, up north, in my eyes does not warrant such scrutiny. then all the surrounding neighbors have let their animals shit the lawn up (look I understand dogs don’t always go where their supposed to but stepping in dog crap 4-6 times every time, when you mow the lawn and it gets a little frustrating standing there holding a weed whacker covered in your neighbors dog shit). Thing is all of my neighbors own at least 2 dogs each. No problem. I observe these animals left alone on the ol chain 24/7 until about 6 or 7 and they gets let off to do their business. They don’t go on their own property they ALL go in my lawn. I have tried to politely show its not welcome by going out and shoveling it up and disposing of it. They dont seem to enjoy dog crap on their perfectly manicured lawns so why is it acceptable to do it on mine? at least let them do their business on your own lawn. I have tried to politely state to all of the neighbors at one point or another that its tough to clean it up all the time. None have denied (thank god) its their animal and one even apologized, an old man, coolest guy ever. However this has changed nothing. I come from the country and let me tell you, people love their animals. This behavior and neglect, isn’t unheard of, but generally speaking its pretty rare. You cant chain a dog up for the day. You cant let your dog go running across the high traffic road unattended to shit up the neighbors lawn every night, and you cant use your dog as a weapon to piss the neighbor off. Fuck the bylaws, even though they agree with me, the respect of others should rule the day. From my perspective if your to chicken shit to ask about your neighbors life if your so curious, then why should I come forth with that info? From what I see, fear of someone different then themselves, sense of entitlement, and lack of respect rule this community. I even took some courses to involve myself in the community and its tourism trade out of respect of where I was. You Prince Ruperton’s, at least the ones teaching the course, seem to be aware that things are in a little decline I was even told in no uncertain terms that “its because of all the new people.” by the course instructor, why this place is the way it was. I was shocked. Am I not new? am I not in your course trying to educate myself about things to do here in the event that a tourist asks me, in support of this community? I have had enough. The gossip, lack of respect for animals, and general small mindedness rule your community. My friends I have arrived with are gone from THE EXACT SAME REASONS. Now me and the GF are here by ourselves and now were leaving too. In fairness I dont wish to offend any kind or respectful people here. I know your out there I’ve met a few. I also do not wish to portray this beautiful area as a hell hole either. This was just MY EXPERIENCE and opinion. Oh, and for a few (you know who you are) of my fellow white people… a lesson for you here, the generous Native communities you so love to address as “bum’s” “drunks” and “losers” have been your only saving grace. They welcome your tourists, stimulate your struggling economy and are just simply awesome to us “outsiders”. One fellow I met even GAVE me the nicest cut of halibut ive ever seen for free. I had to get him something in return so i bought him a nice warrior hoodie. He called me his brother. You pass your insecurities to your children and they grow up just like you hating. I have never seen such a barrier between to different peoples as I have here. I’m sure with a few exceptions, there’s the white people and then the Natives. Its a shame after all it is 2012 not 1902. Sorry for the wall of text as i finish this i feel somehow better.[/quote]

Sorry for your crappy experiences – this sounds like my neighborhood minus the partiers. I cried for many years after arriving because the locals didn’t seem to like newcomers. But, gradually people saw that we were here to stay and I started making friends who now, I wouldn’t trade for anything in the world. I don’t know why this town is like it is. The “new” people are the saving grace, bringing modern ideas and processes to the workplace. PR doesn’t like change, even if it’s what we need to move forward. We refuse to adapt to the 'PR ways" however, it’s like a rotten cousin - you respect them for their good points and stay our of their way – dance to your own drummer and let the world go on by. Good luck with adapting or finding a new town that I hope treats you both better.

As one of the long time white residents of our community, please accept my apologies for your experience. To be fair, there are great people here and a few assholes, like any town. I do sympathize with what you have endured but it may not be fair to paint us all with the same brush. You did mention that this was merely your experience and it’s unfortunate that during your time here that your experience didn’t allow you to get to know a few more of the many great people that live here.

Question:
Why don’t you stand up for yourself and approach your neighbour(s) over their comments and allowing their dogs to crap in your yard? If I heard someone making derogatory remarks about me I’d address it immediately and I’d throw their dogs shit on their front porch.

How are these experiences unique to Prince Rupert? They aren’t.

Frankly, I take offense to the wide brush being used here to paint the people of Prince Rupert. I’m sorry you folks have had bad experiences. I too have had pretty crappy neighbors. That doesn’t mean I go all aggro on the whole town.

Be mad at the people who deserve it, or you’re part of the problem.

I saw this on Reddit just now and thought it might come in handy…

Wow! As a formmer longtimme resident of PR, I amm always curious what the initial draw is to newcommers. Mainly it’s jobs; getting away fr bigger city - easy commute; nature - hiking/fishing. PR is fammously called Prince Rumour - somme residents are keen to keep the rummours circling. You notice a lot mmore, I guess, in a smmall community - considering size & population. What I love about PR is that it’s not so big that you don’t recognize people and small enough that you get to know enough people.I have a good network of fammily; friends; acquaintances. I have a lifetimme of PR experiences - on the positive and the negative side. I find it hard to believe that the facilitator of the course would say sommething to the effect “it’s the newcommers.” What on earth would that statemment be based on?!
I wish you had better experiences during your timme in PR. Good luck in your future endeavours.
As mmuch as I mmiss family & friends back homme, I love the anonymity of living in a city of 750,000 people affords mme.
isabelydancer00

[quote=“CrazyMike”]How are these experiences unique to Prince Rupert? They aren’t.

Frankly, I take offense to the wide brush being used here to paint the people of Prince Rupert. I’m sorry you folks have had bad experiences. I too have had pretty crappy neighbors. That doesn’t mean I go all aggro on the whole town.

Be mad at the people who deserve it, or you’re part of the problem.[/quote]

I agree Mike. I was trying to be mildly sarcastic at the beginning of my post but I was really trying to say the same thing that you did. New residents have always been welcome and appreciated in my circles and I have many friends who have moved here, have loved it and have made lifelong friendships. We’re all just people after all, each with our little quirks, qualities and issues.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my rant I was pissed off and vented. Didn’t mean to “paint the town with such broad strokes” fair enough, oops. just relaying my experiences based on my soul perspective. I have not “mingled” with everyone in town, to know any better I suppose. Thanks for the kind responses as well, take care.

Apology accepted. There are some really terrific people here and I hope that you become acquainted with some of them. Have a great day.

Came back with a $133 electric mower from WalNutz today. 10 amps, doesn’t cut as wide a swath but there’s no gas, no fumes, quiet as hell. Mowed for about an hour, used 1.2 kWh, what’s that worth these days? Less than a quarter?
My head doesn’t ache from the noise, I don’t stink like gas and it’s light as hell. Even got as much exercise flipping the cord out of the way as yanking a pull start.
It’s a little after nine and I can hear someone else mowing a block away.
But I have a friend a little annoyed. She hoped I’d buy her near new gas mower for $150 (a deal actually) that has no warranty, no one’s started this year, has no mulcher or grass bag.
I considered a cordless, but they weigh a lot. 35 - 50 kilos. And what do you do when the battery dies. You know damn well they won’t have replacements in 3 years, just like drills and other tools.