BC NDP proposing a 2-year moratorium on Natural Gas fracking

bcliberals.com/news/in-the-n … atural-gas

Thoughts? I know it is from the BC Liberal website…but the quoted comments from the BC NDP candidate is quite telling of what the NDP plan to do with LNG. This only continues to paint the NDP in a negative light for this riding.

for all ridings , wait till you see what they do to bc ferries .

I laugh when the Liberals slam the NDP when they want to do stuff to protect the environment.

There has to be some give and pull here though…fracking is a safe way to extract natural gas…it has support from some of the highest industry experts.

Is there RISK…absolutely. There is risk with almost everything…but putting a moratorium on something like this will KILL the central-north east section of this province and essentially end any hopes for LNG terminals in Prince Rupert/Port Edward and Kitimat Area. This is a clear message to the North from the NDP that they don’t give a rats ass about us IMO.

[quote=“bthedog”]

There has to be some give and pull here though…fracking is a safe way to extract natural gas…it has support from some of the highest industry experts.

Is there RISK…absolutely. There is risk with almost everything…but putting a moratorium on something like this will KILL the central-north east section of this province and essentially end any hopes for LNG terminals in Prince Rupert/Port Edward and Kitimat Area. This is a clear message to the North from the NDP that they don’t give a rats ass about us IMO.[/quote]

I agree…I also agree that the NDP haven’t shown any interest in the upper half of this Province so far in this election other than the announcement for the forest industry in Prince George.

ndp will put an end to any hopes of the north coming out of this tail spin .

The candidate did say that, but he was mistaken. Adrian Dix has said the NDP would review, not ban, fracking during the next two years. From the Vancouver Sun:

vancouversun.com/news/bc-ele … story.html

Adrian Dix also stated he would not prejudge any development in this province, ie kinder morgan, until they apply for a review and let the review process go through, yet the other day he did prejudge the proposal by stating no to it. so when Adrian Dix says he will review fracking he probably means he will appoint enviromentalists to review it and guess what they will say? hmmmmmmmm it is bad enviromentally.

I am voting Liberal for sure.

The NDP and Adrian Dix clarified their position on a moratorium.

theglobeandmail.com/news/bri … e11616845/

You can make predictions about what he might do in the future. But lets be serious here. He says he is against a moratorium, but he wants to review fracking. Question: Do we want development at all costs without regards to the effects it might have on the environment or do we want to at least study it to ensure that we are progressing properly and safely?

You can make assumptions about a hidden agenda after his change of mind on Kinder Morgan. But I ask you, do you want someone to tell you what they are planning to do before an election or like some other party after the election (BCRail, HST)?

You can criticize the NDP platform that calls for deficit budgets or you can be one of the few people in the province who believe that this year’s budget is balanced after several years of deficit budgets by the current government.

You can worry about the NDP putting our children further into debt when the current government has already done so.

You can worry about the job losses under the NDP of the '90’s and what that means under a future NDP government or you can consider the false claims of the Liberal job plans in taxpayer paid ads.

I am not saying that the NDP are perfect. But the Liberal record of the past 12 years is certainly nothing to brag about. And they can’t keep campaigning against Glen Clark.

Clearly a change is needed. And hopefully the NDP will do a good job. And if they don’t we won’t have to wait 12 years to dump them. Gotta love democracy.

People in this riding need to forget about the BC Rail deal when it comes to something the Liberals shouldn’t have done, we greatly benefited from this deal. The way the Liberals went about the sale was wrong and paying the legal fees was especially wrong.

You can be sure that if the NDP get elected there will be an immediate decline in LNG development in our riding. Why? Because these companies aren’t going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars getting set up only to have the rug pulled out from under them in a year or so when they could expect to get a return on their investment. You could bank on continuing to pay higher municipal taxes and further talk of our town being close to bankruptcy because the tax roll would not have the growth that is expected under a Liberal government.

This election is being closely watched and the industrial and business community is banking on a Liberal win. There’s been recent talk of a large development by the Highliner and a Boston Pizza franchise becoming available. All of this hinges on LNG.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]You can be sure that if the NDP get elected there will be an immediate decline in LNG development in our riding. Why? Because these companies aren’t going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars getting set up only to have the rug pulled out from under them in a year or so when they could expect to get a return on their investment. You could bank on continuing to pay higher municipal taxes and further talk of our town being close to bankruptcy because the tax roll would not have the growth that is expected under a Liberal government.

This election is being closely watched and the industrial and business community is banking on a Liberal win. There’s been recent talk of a large development by the Highliner and a Boston Pizza franchise becoming available. All of this hinges on LNG.[/quote]

Do you have any proof that investment, development in LNG is going to stop when the NDP wins? I’d like to see some links relating to your claims.

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“Crazy Train”]You can be sure that if the NDP get elected there will be an immediate decline in LNG development in our riding. Why? Because these companies aren’t going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars getting set up only to have the rug pulled out from under them in a year or so when they could expect to get a return on their investment. You could bank on continuing to pay higher municipal taxes and further talk of our town being close to bankruptcy because the tax roll would not have the growth that is expected under a Liberal government.

This election is being closely watched and the industrial and business community is banking on a Liberal win. There’s been recent talk of a large development by the Highliner and a Boston Pizza franchise becoming available. All of this hinges on LNG.[/quote]

Do you have any proof that investment, development in LNG is going to stop when the NDP wins? I’d like to see some links relating to your claims.[/quote]

It’s common sense. Why would BG, Petronas or any of the others looking at Grassy Point want to start to build pipelines or export facilities when the newly elected government is non-committal to the industry? It would be much wiser, to our detriment, to wait until a review is completed to see what long term direction the industry will take in BC. If they break ground on any of these projects tomorrow it would take a couple of years to complete. At which time the NDP may pull the plug on fracking and the entire industry. Guaranteed, these companies are watching this election very closely.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

It’s common sense. Why would BG, Petronas or any of the others looking at Grassy Point want to start to build pipelines or export facilities when the newly elected government is non-committal to the industry? It would be much wiser, to our detriment, to wait until a review is completed to see what long term direction the industry will take in BC. If they break ground on any of these projects tomorrow it would take a couple of years to complete. At which time the NDP may pull the plug on fracking and the entire industry. Guaranteed, these companies are watching this election very closely.[/quote]

You have no proof that the LNG development will grind to a halt when Adrien wins. I call bullshit. You’re using scare tactics and misinformation. Just like your Premier.

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

It’s common sense. Why would BG, Petronas or any of the others looking at Grassy Point want to start to build pipelines or export facilities when the newly elected government is non-committal to the industry? It would be much wiser, to our detriment, to wait until a review is completed to see what long term direction the industry will take in BC. If they break ground on any of these projects tomorrow it would take a couple of years to complete. At which time the NDP may pull the plug on fracking and the entire industry. Guaranteed, these companies are watching this election very closely.[/quote]

You have no proof that the LNG development will grind to a halt when Adrien wins. I call bullshit. You’re using scare tactics and misinformation. Just like your Premier.[/quote]

Do I have proof? No! But tell me why it makes sense for any LNG company to spend the next two years building a pipeline and an export terminal when the democratically elected government may shut the industry down? It’s not scare tactics, its common business sense. Tell me why they would continue to build. I’m awaiting your response.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]
Do I have proof? No! [/quote]

Thanks for your reply.

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

Thanks for your reply.[/quote]

Now where’s yours?

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

Now where’s yours?[/quote]

I see exponential growth at the Port and the LNG development is going great guns ahead. Unless you can provide me proof that development will stop then there is nothing more to say. I see no reason why development will suddenly stop because Adrien is the Premier. Adrien is many things, but he is not an idiot. Why would he want to kill business here in the North? If I’m wrong later on I’ll be the first one in line to eat crow. Until then, I say prove it.

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

Thanks for your reply.[/quote]

Here’s something to chew on that supports what I’ve being saying. Do you like your crow medium or well done?

“The NDP have proposed a new tax on the natural gas industry which would drain $210 million in direct revenue from the industry over the next three years. They have not shown industry the clear positions that investors need”

lngworldnews.com/canada-prem … hwest-b-c/

"Horgan responded: “I wouldn’t rule it out if the evidence is we need to do that (a moratorium).” He went on to say: “But I haven’t seen that evidence yet, and that’s why we need to have a scientific assessment.”

"Brian Lieverse, a spokesman for EnCana, said there are about 20 natural gas compression facilities of various companies in the Peace region. He didn’t criticize the NDP plan but suggested the investment potential in B.C. is volatile.
“It’s a competitive industry so if the economics change… it will be reviewed as to how we go forward.”

globalnews.ca/news/493139/clark- … g-country/

"