Bad gas in Rupert?

I just want to show everyone on here that there is a problem with our gas in town, I went to ford today to get a oil change on my truck… complained about my truck spitting  goin up hits, it was like I was losing power on any hit in town. So they checked my gas filter and that is were my problem was… Just so everyone know’s I do not run my tank empty. at half we always fill it… but if anyone else is having the same problem. this may be something to look at… I only get my gas at one place in town… if I can save a dime I will.

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

Gas stations sell so much gas that their tanks get refilled on a regular basis.
There might be a chance that the gas was’nt up to par that one time you filled up, but very unlikely.  Maybe you vehicle isnt that good

I own a 2001 f-150 4x4… If I was driving a peice of crap then I would not have put this post up… I just was everyone to be aware of what is out there and if they have the same problem as I did to get it looked at.

Where did you fill up ??

a) You do drive a piece of crap.
b) You probably haven’t changed your fuel filter since you bought the vehicle… right? that means its 7 years old.

I suggest reading your trucks manual before you start bitching.

Why is that every time someone trys to inform us about a problem on this site he /she get slamed by someone?I guess this good old town has more perfect people than i gave it credit for

for your info: jesus I have my truck looked at every few months.I make sure everything is up to par on it at all times… even paid for extended warranty on the dam thing… hey asshole even had a burnt out light fixed on it today. man does not matter who puts what on here you always have to have some remark for some one. that is all i was wanting to do is let people know as I have heard of a few others having the same problem… futher more I happen to like my truck… can I ask what the hell you drive…

thank you … i feel the same way… no wonder people are leaving here the negitive people really make you feel good… anything anyone says here ppl always have something dumb to say… sorry for just giving ppl heads up…

Easy enough to check if you’re getting bad gas.  Just fill up a separate fuel container next time you get gas.  Then see if it looks like your photo or not. 

Otherwise, people will always say it’s your vehicle, and not the gas.  So if you take your vehicle out of the equation, you’ll have definite proof of bad gas, right?

So go back to the station in question and fill up a little container.  Then you’ll have your proof, and nobody can say “it’s your truck!”

(Changed the subject of the thread SO IT’S NOT SHOUTING!)

They had the ToyRun here one year, and everyone filled their tanks at a local station to ride back to PG. Almost ALL the bikes bagged from the water-in-the-gas.

Leaky storage tank. Ask around if other people have the same trouble from the same station.
If not, check your own tank.

DO you have a locking gas cap?
Why I am saying this is because you never know from our stupid youth we have in town.
Who knows maybe somebody put water right into your tank.
as far as I am concerned this is the first of which I have heard about bad gas, but you just never know!
My car runs great.
I guess you are jsut that one unlucky person who got bad gas on a bad day.
There is just no certainty on this kind of situation. its not 100% sure if it was from a certain gas station.

I am not being negative in away so please do not get offended, but its good to ask anyone if they are having the same problem.

I TOTALLY agree with you!!! That is half the reason I dont post on here much. Jesus, there is absolutely no need for the comment about the vehicle being shitty and “read the owners mabuel”…holy shit, I wouldnt want to help out anyone if thats the kind of response I was going to get…friggen obnoxious people.

You never answered my question about when the last time you changed your fuel filter was. I’m still going to  assume never. Dont blame the gas if you havent done your regular maintenance thats all I’m saying.

My fuel filter is replaced every 40,000km its a 25.00 part and takes 5 minutes to do.  I sure as  hell hope you didnt pay anyone to change the light for you.

Extended warranty is for suckers thats all I’m going to say about that.  I dont mean to insult your purchase but I have good reason to say the truck is a piece of shit.

My parents have the same vehicle and it is quite frankly a piece of shit in spite of them doing all regular maintenance including changing their fuel filter.

Perhaps my responses are a bit terse but there is almost always some element of truth/helpfulness to them.  Either deal with it or ignore me.

I drive an eagle talon (a notorious piece of shit) however mine is always running great and boosting strong unlike most others. Want to know why that is? because I’ve read my owners manual and do ALL the regular maintenance.  I’ve also invested many hours of time learning about every aspect of my car in order to keep it in tip top shape.

The paint has a bit of “road rash” but thats to be expected from a 20 year old car  thats been involved in a few “rally races”.

Feel free to insult my car many people do that doesn’t mean I love it any less.

[quote=“jesus”]My fuel filter is replaced every 40,000km its a 25.00 part and takes 5 minutes to do.  I sure as  hell hope you didnt pay anyone to change the light for you.
[/quote]

So because the fuel filter is cheap and easy to change on your car, it is cheap and easy to change on all cars?

I’m not even trying to argue semantics here, that’s simply not true.

Many (most?) modern automobiles do not have a regularly serviced “in-line” fuel filter. The fuel filter is attached to the fuel pump, inside the fuel tank. Changing the fuel filter requires removing the fuel pump, which requires removing the fuel tank. I contend that this is neither cheap, nor easy. That said, I would expect an '01 F-150 to have an in-line filter, but I couldn’t say for sure.

But I’d even go so far as to say that changing the fuel filter on your car would not be easy for many people. I wouldn’t expect my girlfriend to be able to, unless someone walked her through it step by step, and even then I wouldn’t expect her to be able to do it after that. If I had become, say a carpenter instead of a mechanic, I doubt I’d be able to either (just like right now, I have no idea how to install drywall).

So because you have no life (see, I can make wild inferences too!) and spent “many hours of time” worrying about your car, everyone should?

Why not? If the fuel is the cause of the problem, what does anything else have to do with it? Off the top of my head I can think of two reasonable courses of action (well, three actually, but sending a fuel sample away for scientific analysis may border on the unreasonable), one which it sounds like you would advocate:

Get a full tune-up and emissions service. New spark plugs and cables, compression test, distributor cap and rotor (although I would guess that that truck has a distributorless ignition), engine oil change, fuel filter change, could probably get your transmission, transfer cases, and differentials serviced since apparently time and money is no issue. Throttle body and intake manifold cleaner, combustion chamber cleaner, clean out the fuel rail and injectors and so on and so forth. Then if this doesn’t fix the problem, examine the possiblity that you filled up with contaminated fuel.

Or, a method that I would advocate:

Try filling up with a different brand from a different station. Maybe even go so far as to add some fuel additive (fuel injector cleaner, methylhydrate, STP, whatever). Then if this fixes your problem, examine the possibility that you filled up with contaminated fuel. And if it doesn’t, then proceed with further diagnosis (which will be fine, because we’ve already established that money and time are readily available).

[quote=“jesus”]
I drive an eagle talon (a notorious piece of shit) however mine is always running great and boosting strong unlike most others. Want to know why that is? because I’ve read my owners manual and do ALL the regular maintenance.  I’ve also invested many hours of time learning about every aspect of my car in order to keep it in tip top shape.

The paint has a bit of “road rash” but thats to be expected from a 20 year old car  thats been involved in a few “rally races”.[/quote]

[quote]
Feel free to insult my car many people do that doesn’t mean I love it any less. [/quote]

Good, because your car is a piece of shit. I’ve only worked on a few Talons, but I describe them as money-holes. They’re great fun to drive, but they require a lot of upkeep.

The original poster probably loves his truck too, even though it’s a piece of shit :wink:

Anyhow, I think you guys are crazy: I hate my cars because they’re pieces of shit.

bla bla bla words.  My dads truck I believe has an inline fuel filter not sure, dropping the tank would be a pain in the ass. Thankfully on most newer vehicles I’ve seen (and even my car) you can pull the fuel pump from the trunk. Granted this wont work in a truck.

Fuel filter changes are part of regular maintenance and should be done. If he hasn’t changed in in 7 years well  thats the first thing i’d suspect but I’d change the plugs as well just in case.

I am no mechanic  I work in IT, but I know a 7 year old fuel filter is not a good thing and before I went blaming bad gas I’d check  it.

Changing the fuel filter on my car is extremely easy so long as you have read the process (haynes manual lays it out nicely).

Unplug the fuel pump in the trunk, crank the car over to remove fuel pressure. unbolt the filter, bolt new filter on, plug in pump done.

If your girlfriend cant follow simple directions liek that then she shouldnt be leaving hte kitchen.

I dunno, I haven’t been seeing too many fuel pumps that are removable through the trunk.

However, that may be more common on imports, which I don’t do a lot of work on.

They’re a 20 year old sports car that for the most part is driven hard what do you expect?

I enjoy working on my car and its not really a money hole. All major repairs have been due to my stupidity (sliding sideways at 120+km/hr on gravel roads etc.)

Think what you want, I spend a lot of time in my car and love it.  Its not my fault you dont know how to work on a talon :wink:

edit: that being said, care to  replace my CV’s?  … for free? … beer?

[quote=“jesus”]Unplug the fuel pump in the trunk, crank the car over to remove fuel pressure. unbolt the filter, bolt new filter on, plug in pump done.
[/quote]

If the filter itself is up near the front of the car, it might be a little bit easier (and I mean only a tiny bit) and faster to just pull the fuel pump fuse or relay, rather than disconnect it at the pump itself.

About six months ago my mechanic while giving my car a tune up and such mentioned to me that it looked like I had run into a batch of bad gas. So it does happen from time to time, what would be interesting to know is if it’s just one station or if it’s in the shipment we received from out of town.

Seems to me that the Bassani truck stops at all but one of the local gas stations, I believe that Petro Can has their own truck from Terrace fill up their tanks, but I could be wrong on that as well.

So you have to wonder if it’s coming from source or is a localized problem…