Athlon64 X2

Anyone using one of these yet? I really want to build one to try out, but can’t come up with a good enough excuse. Also curious about a mobo for twin 754s (Semprons now…) I heard about but can’t find one.

www.tomshardware.com :smiley:

1 athlon x2 would be faster than 2 754 chips… You can buy an x2 3800+ for around $450cnd. Not only does it have the integrated northbridge, but also supports SSE, SSE2, and SSE3, as well as MMX and 3dnow.

Looking at the x2 4400@ 2400MHz TOLEDO w 1 MB cache

Asus A8N-SLIDELUXE

course I’d need at least 1 good PCI Xpress video card…

xfx 6600gt… good budget card for $200 range. I just bought one, and im not disappointed. Plus the 6600gt’s overclock better than any video card i’ve seen yet. If you get the asus SLI board, you can always buy another 6600gt later, and dual 6600gt’s perform as good as one 6800gt in alot of cases. I just built a computer for a guy not two long ago.

A8N-SLI
Dual BFG SLi 6600gt’s
Dual 80GB SATA seagates - RAID 0
Athlon64 X2 3800 (512mb L2 X 2)
1GB OCZ EL PC3200 DUAL CHANNEL

This was one screamin machine. Playing HL2 with 1280X1024 maxed out settings, i got 200fps solid. In some cases that out performed the 6800 ultra. I wouldn’t mind seeing (or owning) a computer with dual 7800gtx’s with a toledo core processor.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Looking at the x2 4400@ 2400MHz TOLEDO w 1 MB cache

Asus A8N-SLIDELUXE

course I’d need at least 1 good PCI Xpress video card…[/quote]

the deluxe isnt worth the extra $40… trust me. The only real difference is if you have a 3gb/s sata drive, which arent released yet. if you’re running raid 0 over both channels, its the same speed.

I have an ASUS SLI-Premium bolted to the clear case in my store window if you want to see it in the flesh. $254.99 for the board. $469.99 for the 3800+ X2.

And Delirious is right - the 6600GT is a great card for the money. Tom’s Hardware has that card sitting just under the X850 and 6800’s for performance. Same card I’m putting in my own SLI box actually. ASUS 128MB. 500/1GHz clock speeds. $250ish I think.

Looking through my stuff, I have lots of SATAII drives… they’re 3gb/s. I actually have a few coming into stock next week. Caviar SE16s.

/end shameless plug

[quote=“goodbytes”]I have an ASUS SLI-Premium bolted to the clear case in my store window if you want to see it in the flesh. $254.99 for the board. $469.99 for the 3800+ X2.

And Delirious is right - the 6600GT is a great card for the money. Tom’s Hardware has that card sitting just under the X850 and 6800’s for performance. Same card I’m putting in my own SLI box actually. ASUS 128MB. 500/1GHz clock speeds. $250ish I think.

Looking through my stuff, I have lots of SATAII drives… they’re 3gb/s. I actually have a few coming into stock next week. Caviar SE16s.

/end shameless plug[/quote]

Another store in rupert ? Where ya located ?

We gotta get a massive farcry lan party going on. When’s tyler’s computer gunna be finished… he was talking about putting dual 7800gtx’s. Oh yeah, I wouldn’t recommend any cavier drives. I’ve seen way too many of them die. I’ll wait for seagate to come out with the baracuda X.

I also have Samsung and Maxtor. Hater. :unamused: Should have Seagate by end of month.

He was going to put dual 7800’s… but after seeing the prices over SLI 6800GTs, we’re thinking dual 6800s.

ATi’s Crossfire is a joke. I hope they refine it quick.

i just had to end the whole goodbytes thing, aren’t you supposed to be working? :wink:

i used to own all maxtors…but now they’re giving me problems, i bought a wd to replace one already, and i ordered a couple 200 gig samsungs recently to replace another one of my maxtors. funny thing was both samsungs came defective.

[quote=“-Nate-”]i just had to end the whole goodbytes thing, aren’t you supposed to be working? :wink:

i used to own all maxtors…but now they’re giving me problems, i bought a wd to replace one already, and i ordered a couple 200 gig samsungs recently to replace another one of my maxtors. funny thing was both samsungs came defective.[/quote]

Posting in technology forum of a local webforum, perhaps making a potential customer happy and getting a sale = work. 8)

Drives seem to die in waves - one month it’s Maxtors, next month it’s WDs. Have only had one WD come DOA in the last two years. Knock on wood.

Bill, your avatar is awesome.

Going to use the X2 for work, no games. Mostly 2D work scanning and printing huge files, while simultaneously running 4-5 spreadsheets, uploading live video, burning CDs and running Outlook. Never have less than 10 windows open. Noticing some delays opening mail lately.
So advice on HD and video config? Using 1 40GB, 1 80GB and an ATI 9200 at the moment on an A64 3200+

Also been using Samsung HDs in our ‘cheap’ systems, but they’ve started shipping me Hitachis instead. Any horror stories out there?
Gave up on WD and Maxtor about a year ago. We have a desktop shortcut to print RMA labels for WD and Maxtor, had so many bad ones.

Im still standing by seagate… the only hard drive on the market with a 5 year warantee. What more could you ask for.

Thank you sir.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Going to use the X2 for work, no games. Mostly 2D work scanning and printing huge files, while simultaneously running 4-5 spreadsheets, uploading live video, burning CDs and running Outlook. Never have less than 10 windows open. Noticing some delays opening mail lately.
So advice on HD and video config? Using 1 40GB, 1 80GB and an ATI 9200 at the moment on an A64 3200+

Also been using Samsung HDs in our ‘cheap’ systems, but they’ve started shipping me Hitachis instead. Any horror stories out there?
Gave up on WD and Maxtor about a year ago. We have a desktop shortcut to print RMA labels for WD and Maxtor, had so many bad ones.[/quote]

Run SATA II. 3gb/s is just too tasty to pass up. Again, this is a “max speed” kinda thing… but I seem to notice that SATA II drive-2-drive copying goes way faster. If you can’t, make sure each hard drive is on it’s own IDE channel. Otherwise, in a master-slave IDE config, the data has to go from drive to board, back to drive along the same cable, while other data is going along too. Bandwidth, bandwidth, bandwidth.

Remember - hard drives are often poorly ventilated, spin at fast speeds, are often fragmented up the wazoo making them work even harder… so it’s not wonder that most hardware failures are due to the drives dying.

Not much to tell you about vid cards in regards to 2d stuff - maybe when Windows Vista with desktop 3d accelleration comes along…

Hyundai’s have 10-year warranties. I still ain’t going near one.

Tim’s is an exception. I have to stand close to hear him over that fart-can exhaust. 8)

I remember when we were selling the new fujitsu hard drives those sucker got hot and we had to give/ sell customer a fan to keep them cool…

My tipical case with hard drives is the antec case with a fan infront of the hard drive passing air over it to keep all hard drives cooler… Kooler hard drive tempatur = more stable and reliable drive…