ASUS eeepc 701 first impressions

:frowning:
I think I will have to put this little sucker inside the jewelry case I got her for Christmas… it fits and she really thought it was for her…

Here’s the $64,000 question, though: Will it play World of Warcraft?

I see they have a release of Ubuntu for it now… pretty cool. I also read today that they have announced the $299 2G Surf edition. Same basic unit but with 256mb ram and no camera built in. Also it comes in pastel colors. :smile:

Announcing it an putting it in the damn warehouse are 2 seperate things. The box shows pink, blue, green available but they aren’t even listed in the ‘out of stock’ item selection.
I reserved a couple for our store as there’s supposed to be some coming a couple day before Xmas.
So if Purolator (chang name to SoonerOrLater) keeps to it’s current record, I might see them around Jan 15th…

I got those USB fridges! They went into backorder already. Post a pic tomorrow.

Well I think I’ll be getting one of the 2G versions if I can get one for $299. I’ll just wait until later in the new year when the Christmas hubbub dies down.

A 2 GB HD for Linux?  Hmmmmm…I’d pass on that if I were you.  You won’t have a lot of room to install many applications from the repos.  I would shell out a few more bucks for the 4 GB version.  Any version of Linux that I’ve installed these days uses 2 GB+ of HD space.  So that unit would work, but, you wouldn’t be able to add a lot to it.

Well I admit I haven’t done my homework, and I likely have this wrong, but here is what I was thinking:

The difference in price between the 2G and the 4G is $100. The eee pc takes SD cards as memory, and I can get a 4GB SD card for $100 or less. I can get an 8GB card for $150. I don’t care about the camera or the difference in ram, which are the only other appreciable differences between the two units, so am I wrong to think that putting the $100 towards getting 2 to 6 GB more storage is the right way to go?

Meet in the middle: the 4GB with 512RAM and no camera is $349.00

Thanks Herbie. If you’re still in business when I scrape together the cash to buy one, I’ll see if I can throw the business your way.

A guy on NCIX was saying you can buy a 2GB stick of RAM and a 4-8GB SD card for about $130 bucks, which would be a nice upgrade for the 4/512 model, at about the same price as the 8Gb model. Someone also mentioned that the SSD is limited in the amount of writes it can take, as are SD cards, so setting the page or swap file to 0 and having more RAM would improve the longevity of the system and performance.

Others claim that the models are locked out to only accept 1GB of memory. I’m not sure who is correct.

This is exactly the sort of thing I could use on the road, in my semi, or in hotels. Makes me think I want one for xmas. Is the small screen annoying? It’s ugly to look at with the speakers filling up the bezel, but for under $500 bucks, I’m not sure I would care…

The main criticism of the screen that I’ve seen posted is the resolution. I think it’s 800X480 which means for a lot/most of the web pages viewed some side scrolling would be needed to see everything.

The technology engineers need to move away from LCD display and start thinking about creating a super compact projector that could be incorporated inside a small computer or even a phone.  Imagine, all you would need for a screen is a white wall or a sheet of paper.  Imagine your phone with a GPS mapping program built in and you could project any road maps from it.  I know the resolution wouldn’t be good but portability would greatly increase.
Just an idea. ( There’s probably already something similar out there but I’m too lazy to check today)

I bought your mouse mig, its nice, kinda small BUT reacts and moves when it is suppose to, i have had other $$$ mouses and this one beats them all, the tiny micro receiver is WICKE!!

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

mouse, shmouse. something useful

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

whats it doooooo!

It’s a beer fridge.

I don’t know what you’d use it for, though.

Jolt Cola… Facebook ALL NIGHT…

WTF is with that Faceboook craze? Who really cares what you’re doing right now or who your friends are?
Too much cyber, too little meat space…

Who needs Jolt Cola to Facebook all night??  Damn rookies!

NO JOLT NEEDED!!!

And that beer fridge looks big enough for one can at a time… is that it?

You need MORE?
MORE you say?
My Mom used to say that anyone who had more than ONE was a drunk!
(sshhh! Don’t tell her I have 12 USB ports…)

12 usb ports, WTF, why so many…