Asbestos

CBC Daybreak had an item on this morning about a group of hi school students
who, with assistance of Nathan Cullen have drafted a bill that Cullen will introduce in the Commons. The bill would have the effect of banning all asbestos exports from Canada.
The adverse health affects of asbestos are well known, and Cullen and the kids are probably on the right track. The only thing that really bothered me during the interview was when the young girl from Smithers that was the spokesperson for the group was asked by the interviewer whether or not they had studied the consequences of putting hundreds if not thousands of Canadians out of work, she said that they had considered that quite seriously, but they decided to go ahead anyway. No further explanation was offered.
Nathan Cullen described the students as heroes for doing the research and putting the bill together. Fair enough. But I wonder if the kids and Cullen were from the area in canada where asbestos is mined, would they be so eager to put their parents and his constituents out of work?
I am all for banning asbestos, but if its done, give the people options for other jobs.
Before any bill is passes in the Commons, there should be provisions in it to protect Canadian workers! That lesson seems to have been lost in this situation.

Stephen Harper says EI recipients are getting enough already.

You have it backwards. The stuff’s dangerous, so let’s export ALL of it. We don’t want it around here.

[quote=“97 B-LINE”]
I am all for banning asbestos, but if its done, give the people options for other jobs.
Before any bill is passes in the Commons, there should be provisions in it to protect Canadian workers! [/quote]

Agreed - and here’s how that would work.

For this bill to pass into law - you can bet it would have to be re-written, clause by clause, in committee… for exactly the reasons you cite.

Furthermore, once banned, there would have to be an implementation plan - a whole other bill or addendum to that bill that would describe HOW asbestos would be phased out over time.

This would give the market time to respond (pro-actively, if there is any intelligence at all) with alternative industries or alternative ways to conduct existing industries.

The big problem is that “industry” will NEVER behave responsibly (read: able to respond to Canadian needs…not wants) unless “government” TELL it to. Since “government” is more likely to respond to Canadian wants - in order to be re-electable - we find ourselves allowing industries that hurt our Canadian environment, our Canadian societies, our Canadian reputation.

IMHO it is high-time that our government (through us - there is no other way) grows a spine and starts protecting Canadian’s needs.

It would also be good if there could be some other product that works as well as asbestos and as cheaply for high temperature insulation - is there already something that could replace it?  I didn’t think there was (yet) - does anyone know for sure?

Theres no danger in mining and exporting asbestos… Most people are clueless about asbestos, and when it becomes dangerous.

your um unwise (kind words) my grandfather worked in Alberta in a asbestos plant/mining he died of lung cancer, there is no safe-way with working with it ?or  living with it. 

why do u think they are taking all asbestos out of schools and older hospitals ?

I believe aspestos is relatively safe until it becomes airborne in small particles which can cause severe damage to the lungs.  It can lead to diseases such as asbestosis, mesothelioma, and lung cancer.  Personally, I wouldn’t want to be the one mining that stuff.

CBC has an interesting article:
archives.cbc.ca/health/public_he … /608-3412/

That’s an eight-year-old clip. Has anything changed since then as far as studies go?