Apple = Intel Inside

[quote=“MiG”]I think you’re a bit confused about what Apple makes.

It doesn’t make cheap computers or Wal-mart specials. It makes good solid machines that don’t have to deal with viruses, spyware, and DLL-hell. For people who want to do work, not have to work on their computers.

To those people, Apple isn’t expensive at all.

You’re not Apple’s market if you regularly shop at NCIX for the best price.

I’ll bet you don’t drive a BMW for the same reason too.

Or you have a Canadian Tire bike instead of an expensive Norco one.

Don’t confuse quality with price and market share.

Yes, you get what you pay for.

As for “running down to Future Shop” – doesn’t Future shop sell Macs? Besides, what exactly are you buying at Future Shop that doesn’t work on the Mac? I have upgraded my G5 with monitors, mouse, keyboard, hard drive, etc. All bought on NCIX.[/quote]

Of all people to jump on the personal attack bandwagon, I never thought I’d hear it coming from you :unamused:

I sense another “Macs are more stable! Macs have no viruses! Macs don’t crash like Windows does! Macs have no spyware! Macs are easier to use! Macs come in brushed steel!” debate coming.

You know, Mac people are very defensive. It’s like you’re attacking a family member when you dare mention that Macs may not be the best thing since sliced bread.

The average Windows machine is not secure, is not stable, and is not reliable. But the average user treats it like an appliance - like a toaster oven - they plug it in, push the button and hope it works. When it breaks, out comes the “Repair Install” CDs, and then they wonder where their emails went.

For those of us who RTFM, we run spyware sweeps every week, download email with a grain of salt, keep virus defs up to date, and OMG! our Winboxen run solid, secure, and stable. I’m sure there are people out there that stick stacks of paper on their 1st gen iMac’s heatsinks, then wonder why the computer won’t power up. Don’t confuse the target markets for the Mac and PCs - Apple targets knowledgable, tech-savvy people with their products, while PCs cater to the lowest common denominator. And Apple will continue to languish at the bottom of the market as long as that remains true. My Winboxen have been up and running for over two years on XP with no crashes. No BSOD. My Win2k server hasn’t been rebooted for at least three months. And it’s happy.

I don’t confuse quality and price with market share; I’m smart enough to see a product that’s overpriced and over hyped. Macs do graphics and media stuff excellently, and there are few PCs that can match them. But you can’t tell me that PC parts are build to a lower standard than Apple parts are - unless there are “premium Mac only” parts at the FS sales counter. PC people are bitching that WinXP costs too much for OEM at $70 right now… how much is OS X? Riiiiight.

Quite simply, there is no justification for the price premium.

“You get what you pay for” doesn’t apply here - what exactly do you get for your premium for a Mac? What happens if your mobo melts? Your SuperDrive goes tits-up? Yes, FS sells Macs, PowerBooks, iBooks, etc. And yes, they sell the parts that Macs share with the Wintel architecture, but you can’t tell me that you can buy all the parts you need to BUILD a Mac at FS, because if you can’t buy and replace all the parts, then as far as I’m concerned you’re SOL. I’d rather be able to run down to the corner store to buy a replacement part than wait a week for it to be shipped to me. I’ll take the 10-minutes my system is down per week for a spyware sweep, and enjoy my compatibility with 95% of the market than wait for parts and look at a dark screen, or have to “make do” because a specific software app isn’t Mac-compatible. Because I don’t have a specific need for a Mac, I don’t have one. If I had loads of cash, I’d have one - but I have to make do with buying 2 decent Win PCs for the price of one Mac.

Macs have their place in the market, and there is really no reason why someone MUST HAVE a Mac. Especially now that the speed gap will be essentially nullified with their move to x86. There will continue to be persons and businesses that NEED Macs - their hardware and software will suit their needs perfectly, but the mass population will continue to buy their NCIX, Dell and other Wintel boxen. Checking email and surfing the net doesn’t require a Mac - a Walmart special will do.

Why should I drive a BMW when I’d have to get it shipped to PG for service?

Why should I buy a bike at all when I haven’t ridden one for years?

And FYI - I work on Macs all the time. Love them. I used to have a IIvi. Lemmings was my bitch. My Mac clients are happy, because I don’t have to bill them for spyware removal and such. I’m happy, because everything is laid out smartly and not buried in tab after tab after tab.

But they’re mighty pissed when they have to wait for a part.

Ding ding ding! Grammer > you.

[quote=“goodbytes”]Why should I buy a bike at all when I haven’t ridden one for years?
[/quote]

because when the coming global revolution rips the legs off the petroleum industry, you’re gonna need to be in good shape to hunt game on your 10 speed in the suburban nuclear savannah.

plus its good for you.

Computers are like any other consumer product: You get what you pay for. And I’m very happy paying a little extra for a Mac!

Grammar > Grammer.

So Apple is the BMW of the computer world. The Norco of the computer world.

They make good stuff, and you pay for it.

Sure, for most people, Wal-mart stuff is the best bet. No arguments. Until somebody decides to install Ares on your windows machine and in a week you have to pay somebody $120 to somebody to “fix” your computer. Not that you’ve done anything wrong, but for some reason it isn’t working anymore.

As for the “people are pissed when they can’t get a part” – you’ve just summed up all tech support in Prince Rupert. Nothing is in stock here.

[quote=“molten universe”]because when the coming global revolution rips the legs off the petroleum industry, you’re gonna need to be in good shape to hunt game on your 10 speed in the suburban nuclear savannah.

plus its good for you.[/quote]

Now for something completely different, is there something a $3000 bike can do that a Wal-Mart $99 bike can’t do? What justifies the difference in price?

Id love to see a 99$ wal-mart Bike do what a 3000$ norco can do :smiley:

Which is what? That’s what I’m trying to get at here…

I mean, to me, they do the same thing, don’t they? What exactly is it that makes it worth the extra money?

I agree with you but when you go to take that jump on your norco you have a light weight bike, when you use the 99$ special you drop like a freaking rock. it’s really heavy. Compaired to a nice aluminum one…

Gravity is different if the bike weighs more?

Macs run amazing well and one of there major selling features is their ability and to do to high quality photo and video editing. Much more stable and quicker then windows based machines and software… I don’t know know if that has been mentioned yet, I kinda only skimmed the dealy.

Well heres the thing that gets me about mac people, are you not willing to admit you could buy a PC that is as good as a mac for the same price? pick an OS? seriously I can purchase top quality hardware for my x86 and it will work just as well and probably as stable as a mac. the Walmart users buy garbage pcs so they get garbage out. Yes mac runs on great hardware but so do other platforms, its all about what you buy and what you do with it.

ps gravity changes based upon your weight DUH!

Sorry guys, I’m five-eights cut, and this was the best I could do.

Now you know… and knowing is half the battle! G.I. Joe!

[quote=“Eso”]

Sorry guys, I’m five-eights cut, and this was the best I could do.[/quote]

OR you could run things with permissions that do not allow such actions… should be default but even if its not it takes 2 seconds.

[quote=“MiG”]

[quote=“molten universe”]because when the coming global revolution rips the legs off the petroleum industry, you’re gonna need to be in good shape to hunt game on your 10 speed in the suburban nuclear savannah.

plus its good for you.[/quote]

Now for something completely different, is there something a $3000 bike can do that a Wal-Mart $99 bike can’t do? What justifies the difference in price?[/quote]

engineering and materials.

Not that I disagree with you or anything, but the expensive bike versus cheap bike arguments are basically the same as the Mac versus NCIX arguments.

Perfect analogy MiG.

Now the only thing that really set a mac different from the ncix special is that is has a proprietorized mobo and processor. The rest of the components are generic pc parts. So you can’t really make that statment. Software wise though, the quality is much better with the mac, but wait theres a catch. You can go download an even better os for your pc, for free. It’s called linux!

As for the bikes, a $3000 norco comes with a lifetime warrantee on the frame usually. Also there are hydrolic disk breaks, and front and rear shocks with loads of travel. the $99 walmart bike on the other hand, doesnt come with any respectable warantee its got 20 year old technology (ie cantelevered breaks on the rim) cheap front shocks only, that are shot after taking it off a few drops.