Apple = Intel Inside

Steve Jobs annouced that because IBM doesn’t know how to put a processor together, they’ll be switching to Intel next year.

Linky: arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050606-4974.html

Apparently OS X has been running on Intel chips for a while - a “just in case” scenario according to Jobs.

Invasion of the beige boxes running OS X? :laughing:

sounds like Mac/apple, is gunna focus mainly on software then from now on… Does that mean that we will have the choise of running either windows or mac os on our machines soon? It certainly looks like thats whats going to happen.

http://hackingthemainframe.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/11583/screenshot1.jpeg

My Mac’s new look.

I doubt that.

It just means that instead of IBM chips inside of Macs, you’ll have Intel chips. Other than that, most people won’t notice a change.

Did the average user notice a change, or care, when they went from 68k to PPC? Or from Motorola to IBM?

The reason Macs work so well is that Apple can control what’s inside of it. I doubt you’re ever going to be able to run Mac OS X on a NCIX special.

damn

[quote=“MiG”]

I doubt that.

It just means that instead of IBM chips inside of Macs, you’ll have Intel chips. Other than that, most people won’t notice a change.

Did the average user notice a change, or care, when they went from 68k to PPC? Or from Motorola to IBM?

The reason Macs work so well is that Apple can control what’s inside of it. I doubt you’re ever going to be able to run Mac OS X on a NCIX special.[/quote]

So I guess we’ll continue to see Mac dominate the 5% of the market it has, and continue to price themselves right out of the stratosphere.

Of course, once you have the OS capable of running on the hardware, you’ll have people running OS X on anything they want, including the NCIX special. XBOX / Linux anyone?

A good question being thrown around is… AMD? I guess they’re not on Steve’s speed dial.

Of course, IBM probably wasn’t too sad to see Apple go. They have chips for the upcoming 3 big consoles to spool up for.

After reading a couple more stories on the topic, as I understand, apple is still going to make they’re own custom systems, with the optimized OS. I really think that it would be wise for apple to drop the hardware end of the business and pickup the software end for any platform. They should go into direct competition with microsoft. Personally I like os x over windows, and if i had the option to put it only my ncix box, it would be on there in a heartbeat. It would be more economically feesable, because all the software companies would be prone to write their software for both platforms. This would spin off double the programming jobs, since Mac OS could easily scoop up a larger chunck of the market.

cool… this is so geeky
microsoft, microsoft, microsoft, microsoft, microsoft!

I’m right there with you - but unfortunately, Apple will probably outsource their mobos to someone like Intel, and have some proprietary chip on it to ensure that “only” OS X or newer runs on it.

Steve likes to keep Apple closer to him than his own nutsack.

Apple makes money on hardware. Period.

They’ll never give that up. They don’t make money on OS X, they lose money.

The whole point is to sell computers, not operating systems.

Apple has no interest in selling you OS X for your NCIX or Dell system. There’s nothing in it for them, just pain and whining because your NCIX motherboard is crap, or your video card is crappy or the driver is crappy, etc.

So if you want to run OS X, you’ll buy a Mac. That’s the point. That’s one of the reasons OS X is so nice, is because Apple controls the hardware.

I doubt 99% of Apple users (or the rest of the world) will even be able to tell the difference between a Mac with an Intel processor or a Mac with an IBM processor.

[quote=“MiG”]Apple makes money on hardware. Period.

They’ll never give that up. They don’t make money on OS X, they lose money.

The whole point is to sell computers, not operating systems.

Apple has no interest in selling you OS X for your NCIX or Dell system. There’s nothing in it for them, just pain and whining because your NCIX motherboard is crap, or your video card is crappy or the driver is crappy, etc.

So if you want to run OS X, you’ll buy a Mac. That’s the point. That’s one of the reasons OS X is so nice, is because Apple controls the hardware.

I doubt 99% of Apple users (or the rest of the world) will even be able to tell the difference between a Mac with an Intel processor or a Mac with an IBM processor.[/quote]

While thats true it doesnt mean you CANT run OSX on a non mac. Unless they use some drm or something like that to prevent you from doing so you could just buy parts supported by OSX and use them in your non mac? haha

On another point… what the hell do we call a normal x86 windows pc to differentiate now? it used to be mac and x86… now what? :laughing:

You won’t have the Apple chipset or the Apple BIOS, now will you?

You can run Darwin (the BSD layer of OS X) on your x86 machine right now if you wanted. But you’re not going to get the good parts of OS X without buying a Mac.

Not even with this mac wannabe …

theinquirer.net/?article=23631

I would love to operate on os x but they need to do something about lowering their cost if they want to make apple bigger… right now they hold less than 10% of the computer industry, and i think they could do better if they focussed on better things.

[quote=“MiG”]You won’t have the Apple chipset or the Apple BIOS, now will you?

You can run Darwin (the BSD layer of OS X) on your x86 machine right now if you wanted. But you’re not going to get the good parts of OS X without buying a Mac.[/quote]

Emmmmmmmulation!

I have an Amiga 500 setup on my WinXP desktop right now for the 10-year old to fiddle with. Maybe a couple of years from now, the next batch of kids can play with a Mac from the WinXTR desktop.

They may not have the Apple BIOS or chipset… but they’ll have an extra $350 in their pocket. Macs = teh overprice.

Nah, only overpriced if your time is worth nothing.

Don’t forget, that’s also why Apple can’t penetrate the market like the Wintel competition can. Apple will stay at 5-10% of the market unless they let go of the reigns a little bit. Remember Betamax? And how popular MiniDisc is? You can only hold the crown jewels so close, until the public gets tired of paying a premium for proprietary equipment. Compaq got smart and got rid of “Compaq only” stuff, and so did Dell. Well, until that stupid gaming system with the super squished powersupply in the bottom of the case. Service and support goes a long way - and when you can’t run down to your local Future Shack to buy parts, it loses it’s appeal real quick.

Take a look at Rupert- how many new Kias, Hyundais and Nissans there are around compared to Fords, Dodges and GMs? No dealerships = no support and service = no purchases. Lots of people go down to Van, PG, etc to buy a new vehicle… but they come back with one they could have bought locally. Why? Service.

I think you’re a bit confused about what Apple makes.

It doesn’t make cheap computers or Wal-mart specials. It makes good solid machines that don’t have to deal with viruses, spyware, and DLL-hell. For people who want to do work, not have to work on their computers.

To those people, Apple isn’t expensive at all.

You’re not Apple’s market if you regularly shop at NCIX for the best price on computers.

I’ll bet you don’t drive a BMW for the same reasons too.

Or you have a Canadian Tire $99 bike instead of an expensive Norco one.

Don’t confuse quality with price and market share.

Yes, you get what you pay for.

As for “running down to Future Shop” – doesn’t Future shop sell Macs? Besides, what exactly are you buying at Future Shop that doesn’t work on the Mac? I have upgraded my G5 with monitors, mouse, keyboard, hard drive, RAM etc. All bought on NCIX.

I think a lot of people who talk about Apple and Macs really haven’t ever used one since elementary school.

http://norco.com/05/2005bikes/bikes/images/vpsshore.jpg

boof!

[quote=“MiG”]I think you’re a bit confused about what Apple makes.

It doesn’t make cheap computers or Wal-mart specials. It makes good solid machines that don’t have to deal with viruses, spyware, and DLL-hell. For people who want to do work, not have to work on their computers.

To those people, Apple isn’t expensive at all.

You’re not Apple’s market if you regularly shop at NCIX for the best price on computers.

I’ll bet you don’t drive a BMW for the same reasons too.

Or you have a Canadian Tire $99 bike instead of an expensive Norco one.

Don’t confuse quality with price and market share.

Yes, you get what you pay for.

As for “running down to Future Shop” – doesn’t Future shop sell Macs? Besides, what exactly are you buying at Future Shop that doesn’t work on the Mac? I have upgraded my G5 with monitors, mouse, keyboard, hard drive, RAM etc. All bought on NCIX.

I think a lot of people who talk about Apple and Macs really haven’t ever used one since elementary school.[/quote]

Ding Ding Ding… You won a computer with out A virus.