Anti Virus

Twitter yes, ipad not yet. And Macbook Pro, no av software on it.

Untangle box does the rest :smile:

Do you have Cable internet or DSL?
I have cable and had the same issue, Utube and msn cutting out, Speed test showed good speeds.  Citywest came by, tested everything and it seemed fine, they changed the line to the street and itā€™s been working perfectly ever since.
High download speeds, no cutting out.

As per antivirus, Iā€™ve been using AVG free for years, and have never had any issues, and no noticable resource use.

You do know that avg has crap ware built into it and is crap right ?

Actually no. Tell us all about it.

I stopped recommending AVG simply because 99% of user are too fucking stupid to even locate and download the free version and expect me to do it for them. On top of the annoying email scanner that slows mail delivery to a crawl.
Iā€™d recommend Nod32 because I can make about 700% selling it and it does incessantly pop annoying crap on the screen to make it look effective but I donā€™t cuz like I said, users here are so bone stupid they click shit, cut off their own internet access and then call screaming that itā€™s all my fault.
Plus
a) I happened to be testing Nod32 when koobface first hit and it was as useless as the free shit at stopping or cleaning it.
b) The trial period is so short you canā€™t really judge it fairly by downloading it. Buy me Buy me doesnā€™t really help sell the product
c) look at the retail packageā€¦ if youā€™re 25 and playing WoW in your Momā€™s basement all night, itā€™s aimed right at your demographic.

Wow %700 profit -thatā€™s not bad.

It should be noted that if you have NOD32 you must update the programā€™s ā€œengine.ā€ Otherwise - the definitions donā€™t completely protect you. Iā€™ve repaired 40+ computers in the last six months and the following AV suites were the computers infected:

#1 Norton
#2 AVG
#3 McAfee
#4 Avast
#5 Avira
#6 2x Computers with NOD32

Just look at the independant tests on multiple AV suites and make up your own mind as to which flavor you like. Free = Avast Pay=NOD32.

[quote=ā€œSchruteā€]
Do you have Cable internet or DSL?
I have cable and had the same issue, Utube and msn cutting out, Speed test showed good speeds.Ā  Citywest came by, tested everything and it seemed fine, they changed the line to the street and itā€™s been working perfectly ever since.
High download speeds, no cutting out.

As per antivirus, Iā€™ve been using AVG free for years, and have never had any issues, and no noticable resource use.

I have DSL, I donā€™t know what the problem was, iā€™m the only person that uses the computer, and everthing seems fine now but it was a long week with just horrible connection.Ā  I have avg installed, I tried Avast and that was just I dont know itā€™s on my spare tower right now, iā€™ll see how I like it, right now AVG is on my main tower, the computer itself is running fine, I didnā€™t have AV installed for almost three months and never had any problems.

but yeah thanks everyone for all the suggestions, AVG seems to be the one that will protect my computer for the time being.[/quote]

I believe the Ms vree av software has only been out for a month or 2, what do you think of that software so far ?

Personally i love it, AND hate NORTON!

Norton, is bloated cpu hog, and just a pain in the ass.

$ 50.00 later and a reformat , kaspersky killed them all.
Kaspersky is the only antivirus that is eficient , no false calls and it stops viruses onĀ  a hardware level, over software when its already too late as norton or avg or macafee would do.

$ 50.00 later and a reformat , kaspersky killed them all.

The reformat killed them all. The whole point of an AV is so you donā€™t have to reformat/reinstall.

Yep.  I donā€™t run Windows a lot, Avira Antivir has done the job for me. 

LOL! i thought the same thing :smile:

How does Kaspersky work on a hardware level? 

It Doesnā€™t, but i knew you were going to askā€¦

It stops the virus at a hardware level, rather than when its already running in the software,Ā  and the reason i had to reformat was because of shity vista and mcafee were both a huge headache .
Scince ive switched to win 7 and kaspersky my computer has been problem free for 6months now and runs about 50% faster .

[quote=ā€œTurd_sandwichā€]
It stops the virus at a hardware level[/quote]

Yeah thatā€™s my question. How does it work at a hardware level?

Itā€™s a good questionā€¦ I think he is using the wrong words tho,

If itā€™s at a hardware level, its a piece of hardware, ie a device you plug into or plug in.

Another example,  You can have a hardware firewall or a software firewall.

One runs on your computer, and the other your computer plugs into, ie a dedicated piece of ā€œhardwareā€

It hacks into the mainframe and implants a axe firewall.

I thought you were a computer guy?

Actually youā€™re wrong. Youā€™re confusing layers with physical objects. Firewalls do not operate at the hardware layer. They are called a hardware firewall because they are a dedicated piece of hardware not because of the level(layer) they operate at.

The hardware layer is the physical cable you use to get yiur connection, the processor chip itself.

LOL uh huh.

Hey hows the baby ? You all moved in now ? how life up thereā€¦

Baby is good. Babbles on for hours at her toys. Probably be crawling soon.

Getting married you know the usual