ANIMAL ABUSE: Cats on Highway

Another cat has been spotted on the Ridley Highway (approximately 4 blocks in). A white s/he with tabby markings. Cats are domesticated animals. HEADS UP PEOPLE – Cats are NOT able to survive in the wild on their own. They are not intended to survive on their own. Not only is this practice inhumane, it is illegal. There is a pack of wolves on the highway that would only be too happy to have a little snack. That animal would die in pain and complete terror - perhaps being torn apart while still alive. Too graphic? Then if you know someone like this, stop him/her – report them. These abandoned pets are subject to death by vehicles - there are many people that drive too fast and don’t care what could jump out in front of them vs. driving defensively and proactively. There are people that actually try to hit animals on the road, leaving them to die alone, in terror and pain. They are subject to being run over again by a vehicle behind the one that hits them. This is simply EVIL!! These poor animals are subject to death by starvation which is a slow and painful death. They are subject to agonizing death by illness brought on by poor health care in the beginning and combined with poor nutrition and fresh water … a death sentence … a slow, agonizing death sentence. And then there is weather. Some freeze to death.

In the past few years I’ve taken cats off the highway. One was trapped and dumped by an evil neighbor. The family was so happy to have their beloved pet back. He had been missing for 6 weeks and by some miracle, survived the wolves and vehicles. I’ve taken others off the highway that were so sick from being starved, they died. One cat was 9 years old and had clearly been a much loved pet. Another was young but neutered which indicates care at some point. And the other would run from the Rupert Substation to Diana Lake entrance every day looking for food. He was also a senior but lived a comfortable life for a year when past neglect caught up and killed him.

What is wrong with people in Prince Rupert and Port Edward? I am well aware this is not limited to just our communities but this is here and now so If you can’t keep your pet then it is your responsibility to find that pet another loving home, a rescue group OR the animal shelter. People who practice this are evil and less than human - and they should just be ashamed of themselves.

While I am on the soapbox - it would also help if you spayed or neutered and gave regular vaccinations as well. If you can’t afford these basics, then you should not have a pet of any sort.

And don’t get me started on the backyard breeders in this town … both dogs and cats. It is shameful.

A community is judged by how it treats it’s children and animals – Prince Rupert and Port Edward should hang their heads in shame. It is disgraceful how this community treats their children and pets. Once they are no longer cute, the kids are given to the grandparent to raise or left to do whatever they want, and the animals are dumped and left to die or abandoned when the move, and left to die. I am sure whomever is doing this, be it one or all, your mothers would be so proud (NOT).

Cannery Row Animal Rescue – you go. I will support you as best I can and if we can find out who is doing this, let’s get them caught and stopped.

Just sayin’ …

So what you are saying is don’t take your cats to the highway, take them to your house??? Because last time I checked everyone has no more room for cats. You want to get realistic lets start euthanizing all the strays around town and out on the highway. Would that be more humane for you…

a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- … 6640_n.jpg
did i look like this one?
from a post on facebook

You do know that cats love garbage ? and it’s not always humans fault that the cats jump into dumpsters and get picked up by the garbage truck, thats how most of them end up at the dump and out ridley island road.

After that most of them can never be picked up again, once they stay at the dump for a few days they totally transform into a ferrell cat and cannot be picked up.

So you shouldn’t always assume, because it makes an ass out of you and me !

Where abouts did you see him on the Ridley island road I’m hoping it’s ours we’ve been looking for him for almost 2 weeks now

about 4 blocks in off the highway … there are 4 so far. Good luck finding your cat. You may need to sit out there for a while and watch for them. I imagine they keep a low profile due to the wolf pack in the area.

There are about 4 cats approximately 4 blocks in off the highway. There was a black and white one also dumped out at Ridley Grain … clearly by someone with access.

Yes, actually it would be kinder for the strays to be humanely euthanized by one of our vets or techs. These animals suffer horribly when dumped and left to die by ignorant people. Pets are a priviledge, not a right and from what I see, many people in this town shouldn’t have kids, let alone pets. It is very sad.

[quote=“Turd_sandwich”]You do know that cats love garbage ? and it’s not always humans fault that the cats jump into dumpsters and get picked up by the garbage truck, thats how most of them end up at the dump and out ridley island road.

After that most of them can never be picked up again, once they stay at the dump for a few days they totally transform into a ferrell cat and cannot be picked up.

So you shouldn’t always assume, because it makes an ass out of you and me ![/quote]

Speaking of ass … there are no dumpsters being emptied at Kloiya Bay, Prudhomme Lake, along the Pt Edward road, Oliver Lake and various other places between here and there … and beyond That’s a cop out.

Your reasoning is faulty. Cats get into dumpsters in town, get trucked out to the dump.

[quote=“kbrentzen”]

[quote=“Turd_sandwich”]You do know that cats love garbage ? and it’s not always humans fault that the cats jump into dumpsters and get picked up by the garbage truck, thats how most of them end up at the dump and out ridley island road.

So you shouldn’t always assume, because it makes an ass out of you and me ![/quote]

Speaking of ass … there are no dumpsters being emptied at Kloiya Bay, Prudhomme Lake, along the Pt Edward road, Oliver Lake and various other places between here and there … and beyond That’s a cop out.[/quote]

Okay. If you want to flame each other please use PMs. Thank you.

[quote=“kbrentzen”]

There are about 4 cats approximately 4 blocks in off the highway. There was a black and white one also dumped out at Ridley Grain … clearly by someone with access.[/quote]

Because cats don’t have legs, and can’t walk…

My cat, when it was with it’s previous owners, used to walk from the upper conrad street area (just off PRB) to my house, it would take him roughly four hours to make the trek. After a few times of him showing back up at our house, we asked the owners if we could just keep him, as he is old, and it is dangerous out there for an old little kitty. Since we became his new owners, he hasn’t wandered off at all. He used to go on month long treks.

Maybe you’re exaggerating a little bit. I know there are some nasty people out there who do what you are talking about. But it is possible that not all of those cats are neglected.

Seen a mid size white cat right in front of the grain terminal office today.