An example of a good corporate citizen

Well from one invertebrate to another, thanks for your timely response.

Of course the port is eligible to recieve federal funding. It’s just good business to take advantage of it. And that the government wants to increase trade with Asia, it makes sense that it would hand over the money. Really, it’s like any self-sufficient person – when you want to get something, but you don’t have the money for it, just go ask the government for it. The feds are happy to help :smile:

As for the financials, why even offer the general public the opportunity to email you? They won’t understand the sheets. Numbers are like algeria to them: confusing, dark, holy in hospital.

You writing about me or the port guy?

I’m guessing the writing is about you.

[quote=“hitest”]

I’m guessing the writing is about you.[/quote]

Hey, I’m trying to share an opinion about stuff that is happening in Rupert. Clearly not everyone is going to agree. But that’s ok. There is no reason to be mean.

[quote=“TerriblePerson”]

I’m guessing the writing is about you.

Hey, I’m trying to share an opinion about stuff that is happening in Rupert. Clearly not everyone is going to agree. But that’s ok. There is no reason to be mean.[/quote]

I was quoting what you wrote. You were the one who called members on HTMF jerks. If you want favourable replies from people then I suggest that you ease up on the negative remarks.

[quote=“TerriblePerson”]Well from one invertebrate to another, thanks for your timely response.

Of course the port is eligible to recieve federal funding. It’s just good business to take advantage of it. And that the government wants to increase trade with Asia, it makes sense that it would hand over the money. Really, it’s like any self-sufficient person – when you want to get something, but you don’t have the money for it, just go ask the government for it. The feds are happy to help :smile:

As for the financials, why even offer the general public the opportunity to email you? They won’t understand the sheets. Numbers are like algeria to them: confusing, dark, holy in hospital.[/quote]

It is the not the Port’s job to sit down and spoon feed “financial statement knowledge” to Prince Rupert residents.

[quote=“hitest”]
Hey, I’m trying to share an opinion about stuff that is happening in Rupert. Clearly not everyone is going to agree. But that’s ok. There is no reason to be mean.[/quote]

I was quoting what you wrote. You were the one who called members on HTMF jerks. If you want favourable replies from people then I suggest that you ease up on the negative remarks.

I meant it sarcasmically.

But I think I should get favourable replies because I am clearly the third-smartest person in this town behind Shaun Thomas and Todd Hamilton. I just want people to respect my intellectuagence.

http://www.drawsigner.com/post_images/AssHat.jpg

[quote=“Soggy”]

http://www.drawsigner.com/post_images/AssHat.jpg[/quote]

That’s a nice hat. I like the two curves on the top. Looks very arrowdynamite.

[quote=“MEMEPOSTER5000”]

Dear Port Person

I have been reading financial statements for over 30 years. Please do not try and explain to me that what the Port is posting on their website adequately provided the the whole financial story that is required by an Auditor in order to provide an audit opinon.

The point of my postings regarding your financial statements is that, what you are calling the “Consolidated Financial Statements” and which you post, are not the Audited Financial Statements. With the exception of one other port authority, all the rest of the ports posted their complete Audited Financial Statements. It is obvious the the Prince Rupert Port Authority is completely out of step regarding financial transparency and good practise.

Another minor point of the interest is that, as the Consolidate Statements are not the complete Audited Financial Statements, there is no Auditor’s assurance for the public that what has been posted is actually accurate and reflects the operations of the Port.

The Port is a creature of the Federal Government. I should not have to ask for a complete set of Audited Financial Statements. They should be readily available on your website. Frankly, the lack of complete statements, suggests to me that the Port is trying to hide something that they would prefer was not readily public.

The only way that you will be able to clear up my 'misconception" that the Port is trying to hide something that is in their Audited Financial Statements is to publish complete Audited Financial Statements on the Port website. So let’s see them. God knows you have enough people working in your IT department so that posting the complete audited statements would not be a particularly onerous or time consuming thing to do.

[quote=“Pantagruel”]Dear Port Person

I have been reading financial statements for over 30 years. Please do not try and explain to me that what the Port is posting on their website adequately provided the the whole financial story that is required by an Auditor in order to provide an audit opinon.

The point of my postings regarding your financial statements is that, what you are calling the “Consolidated Financial Statements” and which you post, are not the Audited Financial Statements. With the exception of one other port authority, all the rest of the ports posted their complete Audited Financial Statements. It is obvious the the Prince Rupert Port Authority is completely out of step regarding financial transparency and good practise.

Another minor point of the interest is that, as the Consolidate Statements are not the complete Audited Financial Statements, there is no Auditor’s assurance for the public that what has been posted is actually accurate and reflects the operations of the Port.

The Port is a creature of the Federal Government. I should not have to ask for a complete set of Audited Financial Statements. They should be readily available on your website. Frankly, the lack of complete statements, suggests to me that the Port is trying to hide something that they would prefer was not readily public.

The only way that you will be able to clear up my 'misconception" that the Port is trying to hide something that is in their Audited Financial Statements is to publish complete Audited Financial Statements on the Port website. So let’s see them. God knows you have enough people working in your IT department so that posting the complete audited statements would not be a particularly onerous or time consuming thing to do.[/quote]

Don’t listen to him Michael. The public doesn;t want easy access to this public information because the port is self-sufficient. It’s just like a private company!

The best corporate citizens are the onese who don’t live here and have to put up with the crap we spew. Even the port’s top two execs don’t live here, because they know the negativity that surrounds us. They need to operate in more positive surroundings such as Victoria and Vancouver. That’s what good corp citizens do.

While the port corp is an autonomous entity it is not privately owned; it is federally owned and is responsible to the citizens of Canada.

NO. It is responsible to Don Krusel, who is reponsible to Our Dear Leader Harper. That’s the chain-gang of command. But it operates like free-enterprise just like BC Ferries. Everything the port has done to succeed is from the ingenius decisions by its executive.

Some mean person said to me “Terrible Person, why does the port think it is boss of the water front?”

I responded: “Because without the port, there is no waterfront.”

Sewage on that for a while. :smile:

This is Michael from the Prince Rupert Port Authority responding to an earlier statement about the availability of the Port Authority’s complete audited financial statements. This version of the statements has always been freely available to the public and media; in fact copies are distributed to everyone who attends the Port Authority’s Annual Public Meeting. In-person or emailed requests for electronic or paper versions of the complete statements are handled promptly during regular business hours. If you are interested in a summary of the Port Authority’s financial situation, the consolidated statements are available for download at rupertport.com/portauthority/financials. The notion of posting the longer document to the website is being actively considered (and is certainly not precluded by the size or capabilities of our I.T. department). In the meantime I encourage anyone to request a copy if he or she is interested.

Thanks a lot, Michael. That puts to rest the notion that the port is not providing complete financial records for interested parties.

Hi Port Authority Person

I have just used the Port Authority comment forum to send the following comment to the Port for action.

“I want to you put the last five years audited financial statements on your website. What you have been putting on your website is inadequate and complete lacks transparency. I have reviewed the websites of 11 other port authorities. 10 of the 11 publish complete financial statements. You are completely out of step with what is considered good corporate practise of a organization that is responsible to the citizens of Canada.”

I am not holding my breathe for a prompt response. After Christmas I will write the Board of the Port, the the NDP and Liberal parties of Canada, and the Port Programs Directorate of Transport Canada.

I will send the letters to the Board Members so that I know they actually get the letters. I suspect that their response is they will distance themselves from the staff decision to reduce access to the financial statements.

I fully expect that the two political parties will see the lack of the statements as a Stephen Harperesque type strategy to deny the public information that they should have ready access to.

The Ports Programs Directorate will probably not be pleased that they have been contacted about such a trivial matter that it should have been resolved locally. Bringing their attention to it, will only cause eyebrows to be raised about suitability of the leadership team of the Port.

I don’t know if you really believe what you are writing, Port Person, but telling me that the financial statements are readily available by saying that you can get the information if you ask for them, requires that I provide you with my identity. In Canada, despite the best efforts of a lot of people to reduce the flow of public information, we still don’t need to give you our names.