All native tournament website...?

thats not that rude i dont think to ask that, didnt that happen on the tail end of the tournament last year?

Yeah… it happened not long after the tournament
what happened to the young girl at the waterfront? Last I heard they couldnt figure it out.

And you’re in no position to comment on what I wrote, if you refuse to read it. Seriously. I’m agreeing with you. Go back and re-read what I said.

Here’s the important bit:

[quote=“MiG”]
I think you’ll find, though, that it is a tournament of villages, or something along those lines. Or it’s an invitational tournament. Sort of like saying that a BC-only hockey league is discriminating against teams in Alberta.[/quote]

I’m agreeing it’s no discriminating, since it’s a tournament of villages. Saying it’s discriminating is like saying that a BC Hockey League discriminates against Alberta teams. It doesn’t.

So drop the attitude and read carefully.

I Feel discriminated against because I’m not from a village :frowning:

well the village people hate it how you still dress and act like one even though you admit you’re not from a village.

And so you should feel left out. Some of the best years of my life were spent in villages.

Now this is what htmf is all about! Eso is still wondering how to spell YMCA.

You start the controversy but provide nothing to back up this gratuitous comment.
Cowardice is a vice!

I’m with Mig and Adkins on this ( yes! they both say similar things!). It’s great that Rupert has the chance to host such an event. It’s a great tribute to the presence of first nations in this area.
Checking the rules, I couldn’t find anywhere some mention about having to have a status card. So I guess it is possibly open to anybody.
However, I found something interesting in checking the new rules for 2003 and after and the mvp section. The 2002 senior MVP was a Lakota from the US ( not Alaska). He must have been good because the new rules states:

[quote]1: For the February 2003 and future tournaments, teams are prohibited from hiring/paying players to play. Teams paying players will be disqualified and jeopardize future invitations to the Tournament. Teams can continue to pay reasonable expenses for their players such as hotels, meals and transportation.

“We need to develop the talent in the BC/Alaska region and do not want to disadvantage players within our region,” Deborah continues. Rule 2: Pickup players can only be picked up from within the BC/Alaska region.

1. Pickup players can only be picked up from within the BC/Alaska region.

“The committee takes great pride in the fact that this is one of the premier basketball tournaments in Canada and wants to ensure that this tradition continues by ensuring the rules protect the integrity of the tournament.”

[/quote]

So their is a strong will by the organizers in not turning this into a zoo and to keep the tradition alive. Good for them.

thats a bunk rule, it totally cuts into my fantasy of seeing shaq in a button blanket shattering the backboard.

I know for a fact that anyone can play in the all-native tournament… but you actually have to be good. Doesn’t matter what race you are. However, you may… wanna have some sort of connection to the village or reserve you’re playing for.
Otherwise, why would you wanna play? It defeats the purpose of playing. =\

Sorry to hear your fantasy has been sliced. :unamused:

:laughing:

Well if it doesn’t really matter, as everyone keeps saying, then why not take the racist connotation out of the name? Why not call it the “Northwest Basketball tournament,” or something like that? “All Native” implies “Only Native.”

Ok, hold the phone. Would there be any controversy over something called the All-White Soccer tournament? Not necessarily soccer, but some team sport bla bla…

Initially, it was a small tournament that had reserves in the Skeena Bulkley Valley (before it had expanded) compete against each other. As it began to become a big event, it’s name, I guess, had more significance. It’s not like it was meant to be some directly rude title.

The only thing that sucks with that claim is that you DO have a point, but I think the history of European’s are what give it a bad title to begin with. I suppose it’s a good arguement, I mean, I dont have anything against it. But when you look at it, of course people are gonna raise hell. I think it’s just because the history of whites =\
Kind of a confusing arguement. :confused:

Racist.

You mean like “World Series” in Baseball, that doesn’t include any country except the United States? Why no Cuba, Japan, Venezuela?

Or do you mean like Quebec Major Junior Hockey League? That actually includes teams in New Brunswick, Newfoundland, PEI, Nova Scotia, and Maine?

Or like the CFL when there were American teams?

The National Hockey League (rest in peace), isn’t a national hockey league.

Man, you could go on forever with bad names like that. Things change, but the name represents a history.

Or do you think we should change the name of our province because it’s racist? I’m not British, why should I live in British Columbia?

Personally, I think “Celebrating 44 Years of Racial Exclusion” is another one of hoshq’s grand statements. He’s like 14-0 or something on grand statements. It’s the same pattern. Make an assumption, then make a conclusion based on that assumption, then make a grand statement based on the conclusion.

When somebody points out that his assumption is incorrect, he has nothing.

I was simply trying to encourage discussion. Isn’t that an important element of htmf?

No, you honestly believed it. Like I said, when somebody points out that you’re wrong, you’ll change the topic and avoid it like crazy, but never admit that you were wrong.

So now you say that you knew you were wrong, but you were trying to encourage discussion?

World series is not based on race “all native” is based on race and implies native only.