Aboriginal politicians earn higher salaries than Prime Minister

I’m told that Lax kw’alaams council members get $300.00 per day + plus meals, travelling expenses and accomodation if the meeting is away from their home.

They should be paid more… otherwise its racist.

This comment distinguishing between the reporting of Federal and Band revenue is a very good point.

Even if accountability is brought in surrounding how Federal funds are being dispersed to Chief, Council, family and friends, the question of corruption and greed still won’t be addressed around these other band-controlled funds.

A junior accountant, or even a book-keeper may be able to find a way of reporting a more palatable Chief and Council Federally-funded salary to members and public. Making the entire exercise of accountability and transparency quite meaningless.

Currently in BC, 18 known cases of questionable salary and benefits levels has been reported. These reports reflect possible misuse of Federal funding only. Presently, there is no expectation of reporting on Band-generated funds.

Now, what of these funds from Band-controlled enterprises? How will accountability be brought to this? A very good point indeed.

Glooscap Chief and Council react to members petition for information.
Vancouver Sun story:
vancouversun.com/business/ba … story.html
CBC Story:
cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/st … ition.html

[quote=“dabbledon”]Glooscap Chief and Council react to members petition for information.
Vancouver Sun story:
vancouversun.com/business/ba … story.html
CBC Story:
cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/st … ition.html[/quote]

Damn right they should be afraid of violence.

Editorials becoming somewhat personal in nature -

Montreal Gazette - says AFN Chiefs have betrayed their people:
montrealgazette.com/business … story.html

National Post - suggests Chiefdom is a get rich quick scheme:
fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201 … ns-chiefs/

[quote=“dabbledon”]Editorials becoming somewhat personal in nature -

Montreal Gazette - says AFN Chiefs have betrayed their people:
montrealgazette.com/business … story.html

National Post - suggests Chiefdom is a get rich quick scheme:
fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201 … ns-chiefs/[/quote]

I dont see how any of that was personal. The chiefs rolling in the dough while ‘their’ people live in poverty third world conditions is disgusting. It’s time for native people to stop blaming the rest of canada for their problems and start asking their chiefs some pretty hard questions like why are you getting rich while I live in poverty… where does the money go?

I’ve said it before and I wont hesitate to say it again. Canada does more than enough for its native people and no more money needs to be funneled their way. If we are going to help natives we need to make sure the bands are accountable for every dollar they get and that they make it public and easily accessible.

If the bands cant accept that then they shouldnt get another dollar of our tax money end of story. I know I know its racist to want to know where our tax dollars go so it wont happen.

Yeah, this would be like some government-employed person in BC making a million dollars, while there were people living in poverty. That would never happen!

Oh wait, it does happen. Remember the BC Ferries guy? Wasn’t he paid a million dollars, while others in BC are living in poverty?

“The BC Crown Corporation CEOs rolling in the dough while ‘their’ people live in poverty third world conditions is disgusting. It’s time for BC people to stop blaming the rest of canada for their problems and start asking their politicians some pretty hard questions like why are you getting rich while I live in poverty… where does the money go?”

[quote]"It was revealed this week, Chief Shirley Clarke earned nearly $250,000 in 2008 and 2009. One councillor took in $978,000, two others earned more than $200,000.

The band has a population of 304.

Read more: cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/st … z16XKZebS0"[/quote]

Are these people in charge of BC Ferries?

How Much is a First Nations Chief Worth? Comments from First Nations in BC: fnbc.info/node/2244

[quote=“sandimas”]Yeah, this would be like some government-employed person in BC making a million dollars, while there were people living in poverty. That would never happen!

Oh wait, it does happen. Remember the BC Ferries guy? Wasn’t he paid a million dollars, while others in BC are living in poverty?

“The BC Crown Corporation CEOs rolling in the dough while ‘their’ people live in poverty third world conditions is disgusting. It’s time for BC people to stop blaming the rest of canada for their problems and start asking their politicians some pretty hard questions like why are you getting rich while I live in poverty… where does the money go?”[/quote]

There is a key difference you are ignoring. These people raking in these salaries are doing so while blaming the rest of canada for their peoples struggles when they themselves are profiting off their peoples misfortune to a disgusting degree. So much for helping your fellow man.

I’m not going to defend our politicians but there is something particularly despicable about making hundreds off what are essentially lies.

Oh and we have at least a bit of accountability for our politicians. These assholes are fighting to keep their salaries quiet I wonder why?

The more these Chiefs continue to deflect and deny their wrong-doings, the longer it will take to re-build trust and respect. Not all First Nations leaders are conducting themselves in this manner but these actions continue to tarnish all. These shameful acts will contribute to an unfortunate and lasting legacy for First Nations people.

The AFN as well, is demonstrating that it lacks in-sight, courage and resolve in its leadership role. Suggesting to the public and their membership that this is just a big misunderstanding, all while gorging themselves, surely cannot be their winning strategy.

We are moments away from this becoming a Nixon-like Watergate. Once it’s labelled, it becomes an irksome and lasting catch-phrase in world history.

I wonder who earns the highest salary in the North Coast, the answer can be very interesting, damning, offensive and yet very funny all at the same time.
Hint: not a Chief!

Earning a wage legally is fine. If this person you mentioned is skimming as well, then this is not fine.

I saw news article the other day. The story was about a FN band in Nova Scotia of less than 500 people and one band counselor was paid just under $1,000,000.00 and three more got paid more than $200,000.00. I mean Come on ,how is that not out- right greed. These kind of people are criminal. How could you, in good conscious take that money and watch the rest of your people suffer in poverty. So much for the noble Indian. They are no better than the rest of the greedy scum suckers out there.

Chief Dave:
Is he an “administrator”?

[quote=“Northern Chick”]Chief Dave:
Is he an “administrator”?[/quote]

In Kitkatla???

[quote=“chiefdave”]I wonder who earns the highest salary in the North Coast, the answer can be very interesting, damning, offensive and yet very funny all at the same time.
Hint: not a Chief![/quote]

Possible answer : A.S.